OFT to deal with Ryanair

Old April 9th, 2008, 07:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_4_]

Default OFT to deal with Ryanair

The advertising Standards people (ASA) have given up on voluntary
regulation and handed matters to the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) for
enforcement. I understand the OFT forced Ryanairs website to be pulled over
breaches re taxes not being shown with prices. Was this the "new" website
mentioned here a few weeks ago? I assume they have gone back to their old
one? It seems the ASA gave up on Ryan when they refused to say how many £10
weekend flights actually existed, we assume none?
--
"Mike....."(not "Mike")
remove clothing to email
Old April 9th, 2008, 09:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Mike..... wrote:

The advertising Standards people (ASA) have given up on voluntary
regulation and handed matters to the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) for
enforcement. I understand the OFT forced Ryanairs website to be pulled over
breaches re taxes not being shown with prices. Was this the "new" website
mentioned here a few weeks ago? I assume they have gone back to their old
one? It seems the ASA gave up on Ryan when they refused to say how many £10
weekend flights actually existed, we assume none?

It's easy to find out. Go to skyscanner. I can find Ryanair (and other)
£10 single flights (were they claiming return?)- not many, but they're
there...

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old April 9th, 2008, 10:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:57:06 +0100, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Mike..... wrote:

The advertising Standards people (ASA) have given up on voluntary
regulation and handed matters to the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) for
enforcement. I understand the OFT forced Ryanairs website to be pulled over
breaches re taxes not being shown with prices. Was this the "new" website
mentioned here a few weeks ago? I assume they have gone back to their old
one? It seems the ASA gave up on Ryan when they refused to say how many £10
weekend flights actually existed, we assume none?

It's easy to find out. Go to skyscanner. I can find Ryanair (and other)
£10 single flights (were they claiming return?)- not many, but they're
there...

I think Ryanair claimed millions.

Oh, well they may have been lying then. Has the EU 'compensation' system
had any effect on Ryanair?

Old April 9th, 2008, 10:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 10:10:15 +0100, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:57:06 +0100,
(David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Mike..... wrote:

The advertising Standards people (ASA) have given up on voluntary
regulation and handed matters to the Office of Fair Trading (OFT)
for enforcement. I understand the OFT forced Ryanairs website to be
pulled over breaches re taxes not being shown with prices. Was this
the "new" website mentioned here a few weeks ago? I assume they have
gone back to their old one? It seems the ASA gave up on Ryan when
they refused to say how many £10 weekend flights actually existed,
we assume none?

It's easy to find out. Go to skyscanner. I can find Ryanair (and other)
£10 single flights (were they claiming return?)- not many, but they're
there...

I think Ryanair claimed millions.

Interesting that the BBC website version is different to what was on Radio
4 at 08:00 BST.

Especially given it was updated at 7.44!

Oh, well they may have been lying then.

I always assume they are lying.

Has the EU 'compensation' system
had any effect on Ryanair?

I hope the enormous fine that they will eventually get will have an effect on
them.

Doubt it will be enormous enough...

Old April 9th, 2008, 04:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim \(not at home\)

"Mike....." wrote in message
The advertising Standards people (ASA) have given up on voluntary
regulation and handed matters to the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) for
enforcement. I understand the OFT forced Ryanairs website to be pulled
over
breaches re taxes not being shown with prices. Was this the "new" website
mentioned here a few weeks ago? I assume they have gone back to their old
one? It seems the ASA gave up on Ryan when they refused to say how many
£10
weekend flights actually existed, we assume none?

I think that this is just about their advertising.

the ASA does not regulate their booking engine.

tim

Old April 9th, 2008, 04:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim \(not at home\)

"tim (not at home)" wrote in message

"Mike....." wrote in message
The advertising Standards people (ASA) have given up on voluntary
regulation and handed matters to the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) for
enforcement. I understand the OFT forced Ryanairs website to be pulled
over
breaches re taxes not being shown with prices. Was this the "new" website
mentioned here a few weeks ago? I assume they have gone back to their old
one? It seems the ASA gave up on Ryan when they refused to say how many
£10
weekend flights actually existed, we assume none?

I think that this is just about their advertising.

the ASA does not regulate their booking engine.

Though I should ad that strictly speaking, it doesn't regulate their adverts
either.

tim

Old April 9th, 2008, 05:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_4_]

Following up to tim (not at home)

weekend flights actually existed, we assume none?

I think that this is just about their advertising.

Yes

the ASA does not regulate their booking engine.

but the OFT can make them change thier website.
--
"Mike....."(not "Mike")
remove clothing to email
Old April 9th, 2008, 05:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_4_]

Following up to tim (not at home)

Though I should ad that strictly speaking, it doesn't regulate their adverts
either.

no, its voluntary, unlike the OFT
--
"Mike....."(not "Mike")