Austin, Texas is not a music capital

Old September 24th, 2008, 07:05 AM posted to austin.general,soc.culture.usa,rec.travel.usa-canada
TXZZ

Default Austin, Texas is not a music capital

On Sep 24, 8:39*am, Motorblade wrote:
grupo fantasma

Thing is Ghostland Observatory is the type of band people listen to
and go "hey more music is good but whatever"

No one but a guitar afficianado gives a rats ass about Eric Johnson

MEANWHILE, EVERY OTHER MAJOR CITY IN THE COUNTRY HAS A TRULY GOOD/
TRULY FAMOUS MUSICIAN

Do you realize that Austin is conspicuous for its LACK of musical
talent?

Do you realize that this makes Austin fraudulent, and that most cities
couldn't be as much of a cultural fraud if they tried?

Old September 24th, 2008, 12:42 PM posted to austin.general,soc.culture.usa,rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

On Sep 23, 11:05*pm, TXZZ wrote:
On Sep 24, 8:39*am, Motorblade wrote:
Do you realize that this makes Austin fraudulent, and that most cities
couldn't be as much of a cultural fraud if they tried?

With a reported six hundred music venues, it couldn't possibly be as
you say.

Old September 24th, 2008, 12:51 PM posted to austin.general,soc.culture.usa,rec.travel.usa-canada
Motorblade

On Sep 24, 1:05�am, TXZZ wrote:
On Sep 24, 8:39�am, Motorblade wrote:

grupo fantasma

Thing is Ghostland Observatory is the type of band people listen to
and go "hey more music is good but whatever"

No one but a guitar afficianado gives a rats ass about Eric Johnson

MEANWHILE, EVERY OTHER MAJOR CITY IN THE COUNTRY HAS A TRULY GOOD/
TRULY FAMOUS MUSICIAN

Do you realize that Austin is conspicuous for its LACK of musical
talent?

Do you realize that this makes Austin fraudulent, and that most cities
couldn't be as much of a cultural fraud if they tried?

By the timeStevie Ray Vaughn was thirteen years old he was playing in
clubs in Dallas where he met many of his blues idols. A few years
later he dropped out of Justin F. Kimball High School in Oak Cliff and
moved to Austin to pursue music. Vaughan's talent caught the attention
of guitarist Johnny Winter and blues-club owner Clifford Antone.

During the early 1970s Vaughan played the Austin bar and club scene
with the Cobras. After the Cobras broke up, in 1975 he started Triple
Threat, which in 1978 became Double Trouble with Vaughan as lead
singer. From Austin, their success spread throughout Texas.

Old September 24th, 2008, 01:19 PM posted to austin.general,soc.culture.usa,rec.travel.usa-canada
Gumby

On Sep 24, 6:42*am, Icono Clast wrote:
On Sep 23, 11:05*pm, TXZZ wrote:

On Sep 24, 8:39*am, Motorblade wrote:
Do you realize that this makes Austin fraudulent, and that most cities
couldn't be as much of a cultural fraud if they tried?

With a reported six hundred music venues, it couldn't possibly be as
you say.

If quantity is what equals value to you, then I suppose you may have a
point. If it's quality you want, I have heard better jazz/folk
musicians in NYC subway stations.

TXZZ may be making his point crudely and obnoxiously but he's right.
There is not one top shelf arts organization in Austin. Houston has
the Grand Opera and the Alley Theater, DFW has the Kimble. That's
about it for the national stage.

Then again, Austin is considerably smaller than both those cities so
the talent pool is smaller as well. (I guess San Antonio has no
excuse) The real shame is that a state the size and population of TX
has so little to contribute to the national arts community. At the
very least one of the major cities should have a top shelf "A"
orchestra.
Old September 24th, 2008, 02:32 PM posted to austin.general,soc.culture.usa,rec.travel.usa-canada
Thomas Spillman

Gumby wrote:

If quantity is what equals value to you, then I suppose you may have a
point. If it's quality you want, I have heard better jazz/folk
musicians in NYC subway stations.

The London underground also has some good buskers. However, as you
point out below, Austin is considerably smaller.

The real shame is that a state the size and population of TX
has so little to contribute to the national arts community. At the
very least one of the major cities should have a top shelf "A"
orchestra.

I agree. OTOH, my horn teacher pointed out to me, he was former
principal horn player of the now defunct San Jose Symphony, the funding
of orchestras is a major problem all across the country. Few people are
willing to support a top shelf "A" orchestra. My son is in charge of
fund solicitation for the New York Phil and has also mentioned that even
in NYC it is hard to get support for such an orchestra.

Also, KMFA doesn't get high levels of support here...

However, as a libertarian who is a believer in the "Chicago school" of
economics, there is no such thing as a free lunch. The market will
supply what people want, good or bad...

Regards...

Tom
Old September 24th, 2008, 04:30 PM posted to austin.general,soc.culture.usa,rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Sep 23, 11:05*pm, TXZZ wrote:

[...]

Houston Grand Opera is top shelf as you said, so is the Dallas Fort
Worth Symphony. Maybe classical music is not something Texans are
interested in.
Old September 24th, 2008, 04:44 PM posted to austin.general,soc.culture.usa,rec.travel.usa-canada
pltrgyst[_2_]

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 23:05:12 -0700 (PDT), TXZZ wrote:

MEANWHILE, EVERY OTHER MAJOR CITY IN THE COUNTRY HAS A TRULY GOOD/
TRULY FAMOUS MUSICIAN

Do you realize that Austin is conspicuous for its LACK of musical
talent?

James McMurtry. Absolutely superb writer and performer.

-- Larry
Old September 24th, 2008, 06:05 PM posted to austin.general,soc.culture.usa,rec.travel.usa-canada
Magiel Venema[_2_]

Maybe we can start a new thread:

Fredericksburg has the best breda of the USA,
Tempe has the best sidewalk cafes of the USA,
XXX hast the best YYY

Keeps you busy until 2199!
Old September 24th, 2008, 07:35 PM posted to austin.general,soc.culture.usa,rec.travel.usa-canada
Gumby

On Sep 23, 11:05*pm, TXZZ wrote:

[...]

DFWS is B level. It's not bad but it's not Cleveland, Chicago, New
York, etc. *

Maybe classical music is not something Texans are
interested in.

There is a HUGE amount of people interested in classical music in TX!
Just look at all the top notch facilities that have been erected in
the past few years. I think it all has to do with TX "inbreeding."
The propensity for Texans to feel that anything in TX is better than
anywhere else has kept their standards set at mediocre. The borders
are big and not too many people get to visit great centers of culture.

Old September 25th, 2008, 01:07 AM posted to austin.general,soc.culture.usa,rec.travel.usa-canada
Grumpy AuContraire

On Sep 23, 11:05 pm, TXZZ wrote:

[...]

Boils down to me that most of the sounds generated on 6th Street are of
the, "If you hear one, you heard 'em all."

Austin may have over a million people in the metro area, but arts-wise,
it's still a little podunk town.

sigh

JT