Family hotel for Washington DC visit?

Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:32 AM
Tom Kustner

Default Family hotel for Washington DC visit?

We are thinking about packing up the six children and heading to DC
for a visit this summer. We would like a hotel that is in the city in
a safe area that might have suites or accommodations more suitable for
a family of eight. Of course, affordability is also a plus. 8^)

We are looking for hotels ourselves and have some candidates, but
would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks,

Tom K
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:00 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Tom Kustner" wrote in message
We are thinking about packing up the six children and heading to DC
for a visit this summer. We would like a hotel that is in the city in
a safe area that might have suites or accommodations more suitable for
a family of eight. Of course, affordability is also a plus. 8^)

We are looking for hotels ourselves and have some candidates, but
would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks,

Tom K

Our old friend the Harrington may well suit

Its a little old fashioned and shabby but its only a couple
of blocks from the Mall, has family rooms and is very
reasonably priced.

http://www.hotel-harrington.com/specialfamilyrooms.htm

Keith

Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:06 PM
Larry Finch

Tom Kustner wrote:

We are thinking about packing up the six children and heading to DC
for a visit this summer. We would like a hotel that is in the city in
a safe area that might have suites or accommodations more suitable for
a family of eight. Of course, affordability is also a plus. 8^)

We are looking for hotels ourselves and have some candidates, but
would be grateful for any suggestions.

State Plaza Hotel is a converted apartment building; its suites are full
apartments will full kitchens and one or more bedrooms. Location is Foggy
Bottom, a short walk to the mall in a safe neighborhood.
http://www.washingtonplazahotel.com/sp/

--
Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 47"
W 74° 03' 56"

Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:08 PM
mary

One time I stayed at a "Hotel" called the General Sheridan or Sherman. It
was nice the located downtown. It had a kitchen, and the price was no more
than a regular hotel. I stayed there in February, so maybe that was why the
price was so good.

Tom

Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:36 AM
Tom Kustner

Larry,

Thanks - we'll check it out.

Tom
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:38 AM
Tom Kustner

Our old friend the Harrington may well suit

Its a little old fashioned and shabby but its only a couple
of blocks from the Mall, has family rooms and is very
reasonably priced.

http://www.hotel-harrington.com/specialfamilyrooms.htm

Keith,

Thanks for your input. My wife and I looked into the Harrington
because of the family, but have probably eliminated it from the
competition after seeing a posting from last year regarding safety.
Go to http://groups.google.com, search on "hotel harrington police",
and hit the first link. It's from a posting in this newsgroup from
Feb. 12, 2003.

I was disappointed to see that, because I did like the location and
the price.

Tom

Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:39 AM
Tom Kustner

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:08:48 -0500, "mary"
wrote:

One time I stayed at a "Hotel" called the General Sheridan or Sherman. It
was nice the located downtown. It had a kitchen, and the price was no more
than a regular hotel. I stayed there in February, so maybe that was why the
price was so good.

I haven't come across a hotel by either name, but if I find it, I'll
let you know. Thanks.

Tom
Old February 3rd, 2004, 06:00 AM
Miguel Cruz

Tom Kustner wrote:
Thanks for your input. My wife and I looked into the Harrington
because of the family, but have probably eliminated it from the
competition after seeing a posting from last year regarding safety.
Go to http://groups.google.com, search on "hotel harrington police",
and hit the first link. It's from a posting in this newsgroup from
Feb. 12, 2003.

I was disappointed to see that, because I did like the location and
the price.

I wouldn't let that one report put you off too much.

Until very recently (a couple months ago) my office was two blocks up the
street from the Harrington. Most of its neighbors are high-rent office
buildings packed with law firms. The FBI headquarters is a few blocks away.
I have walked and bicycled around there after midnight hundreds of times.
Never in a million years would I consider the area unsafe.

I'm sure unfortunate things happen now and then, just like anywhere. But put
it in perspective by comparing it to other large cities in the USA, and it's
totally unremarkable.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old February 3rd, 2004, 10:10 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Tom Kustner" wrote in message

Our old friend the Harrington may well suit

Its a little old fashioned and shabby but its only a couple
of blocks from the Mall, has family rooms and is very
reasonably priced.

http://www.hotel-harrington.com/specialfamilyrooms.htm

Keith,

Thanks for your input. My wife and I looked into the Harrington
because of the family, but have probably eliminated it from the
competition after seeing a posting from last year regarding safety.
Go to http://groups.google.com, search on "hotel harrington police",
and hit the first link. It's from a posting in this newsgroup from
Feb. 12, 2003.

I was disappointed to see that, because I did like the location and
the price.

Frankly I have stayed there many times and never seen anything
like this. Many other people have recommended the Harrington
and I wouldnt allow a single incident to have much influence

I've met people who had their pockets picked in some
of the best hotels in the world, pickpockets and sneak
theives target tourists. Int sunfortunate but a fact of life.

Keith

Old February 3rd, 2004, 08:17 PM
Boots

Tom Kustner wrote in message . ..
Larry,

Thanks - we'll check it out.

Tom

Tom,

I've seen several post regarding family lodging in DC @ www.fodors.com.
You may want to check there under travel talk.

Boots