US Airways Drops Charges for Drinks in Coach

Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

Default US Airways Drops Charges for Drinks in Coach

http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/23/news...ion=2009022309

The airline has announced that it will no longer charge coach customers for
non-alcoholic drinks. Atlanta (CNN) -- While major airlines have been
finding new ways to charge passengers additional fees, at least one effort
has apparently failed. U.S. Airways announced Monday it will no longer
charge travelers for non-alcoholic beverages.
"U.S. Airways was the only large network carrier to charge for drinks and
that put us at a disadvantage," Chairman and CEO Doug Parker said in a news
release.

Under what it called its "beverage purchase program" introduced last year,
U.S. Airways charged coach passengers $1 for tea or coffee and $2 for
bottled water or soft drinks.

The change drew criticism. Ultimately, the company determined that it didn't
pay off.

"The beverage program was distracting from the outstanding improvements in
on-time performance and baggage handling U.S. Airways' 34,000 employees
worked so hard to achieve last year," Parker said.

But the company remains "firmly committed to the a la carte model" in which
"customers pay for what they choose to use," Parker said, calling the model
"a work in progress."

Other changes the company made as part of that new model include checked
baggage fees, additional costs for certain seats, "and our new blanket and
pillow offering - the U.S. Airways Power-Nap Sack," the news release said.
The company expects to generate from $400 to $500 million in 2009 from those
and other "a la carte items."

The free drinks in coach return March 1

Old February 24th, 2009, 09:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff Hacker

"Jim Davis" wrote in message
m...
[...]

This is a very good sign. US ran off many of their best customers with
ill-thought charges. They consider themselves a "full service" carrier, but
offer less service than the LCC's. Crappy service does not result in
profits - just loss of your best customers.

Old February 24th, 2009, 10:19 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Jeff Hacker" wrote in message
"Jim Davis" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I avoid US Air whenever I can, but I had to fly them about a week ago, and
noticed that no one seemed to be purchasing soda or coffee. Alcohol was
still flowing pretty freely though.

Old February 24th, 2009, 11:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air
SMS

Jim Davis wrote:

I avoid US Air whenever I can, but I had to fly them about a week ago, and
noticed that no one seemed to be purchasing soda or coffee. Alcohol was
still flowing pretty freely though.

They did succeed in annoying a lot of people by charging for soft drinks.

I took four Continental flights in the past 10 days. Simple meals or
snacks were served on every one, and there was also drink service
multiple times during the flight.

The meals we

1. Sandwich (turkey or tuna), chips, cookie
2. Hot pizza and salad
3. Muffin
4. Muffin, banana, and cereal

And AC outlets at every seat on some of the flights!
Old February 25th, 2009, 12:07 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"SMS" wrote in message
Jim Davis wrote:

I avoid US Air whenever I can, but I had to fly them about a week ago,
and noticed that no one seemed to be purchasing soda or coffee. Alcohol
was still flowing pretty freely though.

They did succeed in annoying a lot of people by charging for soft drinks.

I took four Continental flights in the past 10 days. Simple meals or
snacks were served on every one, and there was also drink service multiple
times during the flight.

The meals we

1. Sandwich (turkey or tuna), chips, cookie
2. Hot pizza and salad
3. Muffin
4. Muffin, banana, and cereal

And AC outlets at every seat on some of the flights!

CO has always done that. It helps that they also own Chelsea Food Service.
The first Class food service is excellent.

Old February 25th, 2009, 01:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air
SMS

Jim Davis wrote:

CO has always done that. It helps that they also own Chelsea Food Service.
The first Class food service is excellent.

My 84 y.o. mom was really impressed with CO last year, just because of
the food service. Of course this was after Jet Blue canceled her flight,
refunded her the 21 day advance purchase fare of the return segment, and
wished her luck in finding another way back to FLL from SFO.

CO has a big presence at FLL so she'll be using them from now on. I now
find that CO has the lowest fares, by a significant amount, on flights
to the places I go the most (EWR, BWI, and FLL from SFO). The r/t from
SFO-FLL was $237 inclusive. Also, the CO Mastercard is a pretty good
deal, at least for the first year, and allows you free checked luggage
for the primary card holder. Also, the CO Chase debit card supposedly
lets you have free checked luggage for everyone traveling on the same
reservation.
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:34 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"SMS" wrote in message
Jim Davis wrote:

[...]

If you take notice of the airports you mentioned above, you'll find that
they're served by a few "bargain" airlines. Some time ago, CO started
competitive pricing at those, and a few other destinations.

Old February 25th, 2009, 03:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Sancho Panza[_1_]

"Jim Davis" wrote in message
m...

"SMS" wrote in message
Jim Davis wrote:

I avoid US Air whenever I can, but I had to fly them about a week ago,
and noticed that no one seemed to be purchasing soda or coffee. Alcohol
was still flowing pretty freely though.

They did succeed in annoying a lot of people by charging for soft drinks.

I took four Continental flights in the past 10 days. Simple meals or
snacks were served on every one, and there was also drink service
multiple times during the flight.

The meals we

1. Sandwich (turkey or tuna), chips, cookie
2. Hot pizza and salad
3. Muffin
4. Muffin, banana, and cereal

And AC outlets at every seat on some of the flights!

CO has always done that. It helps that they also own Chelsea Food
Service. The first Class food service is excellent.

At one time, maybe 5 or 10 years ago, Continental became notorious as one of
the airlines that handed you a bag with a sandwich, fruit, cookies or chips,
etc.pon boarding.

Old February 25th, 2009, 04:02 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"Sancho Panza" wrote in message

"Jim Davis" wrote in message
m...

"SMS" wrote in message
Jim Davis wrote:

[...]

I remember that. There were a few airlines that had the "lunch bags" in a
container at the top of the jetway. Grab yer lunch, and board the plane.

I remember too, when AA used to put out free soda and snacks in the gate
areas, and WN had donuts and coffee by their gates.

Old February 25th, 2009, 04:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air
SMS

Jim Davis wrote:

I remember too, when AA used to put out free soda and snacks in the gate
areas, and WN had donuts and coffee by their gates.

Morris Air, acquired by Southwest, served Costco muffins.