under what circumstances do us passports get us stamps?

Old August 30th, 2008, 03:02 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default under what circumstances do us passports get us stamps?

On Aug 29, 11:13 pm, mrtravel wrote:
wrote:
On Aug 28, 10:49 pm, mrtravel wrote:

wrote:

On Aug 27, 10:45 pm, mrtravel wrote:

Why would you request one?

To get documented proof of when and where I entered the United States.

I didn't realize they had stopped stamping foreign passport.

Don't ask me. I would not know. I thought the question was about US
passports getting US entry stamps. Do you have a problem with reading
comprehension?

I assumed by by the desire to have proof that you weren't a US citizen.

Does US Immigration stamp 100% of the foreign passports? I don't
know, but I would expect it. As far as I know, stamping is optional
only for US passports at US ports of entry.

Why would a US citizen need proof of when they entered the US?

I cannot speak for the generic US citizen.

So, why do you need proof of when you entered the US?

Suffice it to say that I want it. If I told you why, I would have to
kill you.
Old August 30th, 2008, 03:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

Why would a US citizen need proof of when they entered the US?

If you spend 330 days out of 365 outside of the US, there are some
favorable expatriate tax provisions that kick in. Passport stamps are
an easy way to establish where you were.

My experience is that they normally don't stamp my passport (particularly
when I use Nexus coming from Canada) but they will if you ask.

R's,
John
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:51 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message mrtravel wrote:

I assumed by by the desire to have proof that you weren't a US citizen.
Why would a US citizen need proof of when they entered the US?

I'm Canadian, but my travel insurance is based on consecutive days out
of the country. I have been advised by my insurance company that if I
have back to back trips out of the country but touch Canada in the
middle, to ensure I retain proof that I entered the country.

A passport stamp is one such method.

I can imagine other cases where you may need to prove when you entered
or exited your own country, taxes come to mind.

I travel to the US a dozen times a year, and have been doing so for
several years, I've been stamped once. I've never requested it.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:15 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message mrtravel wrote:

I assumed by by the desire to have proof that you weren't a US citizen.
Why would a US citizen need proof of when they entered the US?

I'm Canadian, but my travel insurance is based on consecutive days out
of the country. I have been advised by my insurance company that if I
have back to back trips out of the country but touch Canada in the
middle, to ensure I retain proof that I entered the country.

A passport stamp is one such method.

I can imagine other cases where you may need to prove when you entered
or exited your own country, taxes come to mind.

I travel to the US a dozen times a year, and have been doing so for
several years, I've been stamped once. I've never requested it.

Wouldn't documentation from an airline be sufficient?
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:16 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

John Levine wrote:

Why would a US citizen need proof of when they entered the US?

If you spend 330 days out of 365 outside of the US, there are some
favorable expatriate tax provisions that kick in. Passport stamps are
an easy way to establish where you were.

Given that information, I would think you wouldn't want to prove that
you actually came back.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:59 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message mrtravel wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message mrtravel wrote:

I assumed by by the desire to have proof that you weren't a US citizen.
Why would a US citizen need proof of when they entered the US?

I'm Canadian, but my travel insurance is based on consecutive days out
of the country. I have been advised by my insurance company that if I
have back to back trips out of the country but touch Canada in the
middle, to ensure I retain proof that I entered the country.

A passport stamp is one such method.

I can imagine other cases where you may need to prove when you entered
or exited your own country, taxes come to mind.

I travel to the US a dozen times a year, and have been doing so for
several years, I've been stamped once. I've never requested it.

Wouldn't documentation from an airline be sufficient?

What documentation?

I can print receipts for a flight, and even the boarding pass at home.

I don't have anything proving I took any flights recently, just stuff
proving I paid for a flight.

That also assumes the only method of entering or exiting is by air, for
both insurance and tax reasons, a land or water crossing is more then
sufficient, and may not even include a receipt.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 06:47 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

DevilsPGD wrote:

In message mrtravel wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:

In message mrtravel wrote:

I assumed by by the desire to have proof that you weren't a US citizen.
Why would a US citizen need proof of when they entered the US?

I'm Canadian, but my travel insurance is based on consecutive days out
of the country. I have been advised by my insurance company that if I
have back to back trips out of the country but touch Canada in the
middle, to ensure I retain proof that I entered the country.

A passport stamp is one such method.

I can imagine other cases where you may need to prove when you entered
or exited your own country, taxes come to mind.

I travel to the US a dozen times a year, and have been doing so for
several years, I've been stamped once. I've never requested it.

Wouldn't documentation from an airline be sufficient?

What documentation?

I can print receipts for a flight, and even the boarding pass at home.

I can print hotel, charity, and other deduction/expense receipts at home
too, what's your point?

Old September 3rd, 2008, 06:59 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message mrtravel wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:

In message mrtravel wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:

In message mrtravel wrote:

[...]

My point is that paying for a flight and printing a receipt and boarding
pass is not the same thing as actually taking the flight, especially not
when dealing with insurance, gov't for tax purposes, or similar.

For my most recent flight, I used an entirely electronic boarding pass,
absolutely no paper was generated at all, save for the luggage tag, and
only that because I wanted to bring more shampoo then would fit in a
baggie. I have nothing that would be considered proof of travel for an
insurance company.

A stamp on a passport may not actually be much harder to forge, but
they're more or less considered trusted.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 07:41 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

DevilsPGD wrote:

My point is that paying for a flight and printing a receipt and boarding
pass is not the same thing as actually taking the flight, especially not
when dealing with insurance, gov't for tax purposes, or similar.

What would you use to deduct a flight as a business expense?

If that kind of receipt is good enough to deduct the expense, why isn't
it good enough to prove you were out of the country?
Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:00 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message mrtravel wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:

My point is that paying for a flight and printing a receipt and boarding
pass is not the same thing as actually taking the flight, especially not
when dealing with insurance, gov't for tax purposes, or similar.

What would you use to deduct a flight as a business expense?

My company takes the fact that I showed up at the office or at a
client's site as evidence that I did something to earn my reimbursement,
so little to no verification is needed if the expense is reasonable.

(My company doesn't even require actual receipts to be submitted, I'm a
contractor and I simply invoice the total amount, the proof is that I
physically arrived)

When it comes to tax deductions at the end of the year, the gov't is
more concerned with how you spent the money then whether you actually
flew, even an unflown flight is a valid business deduction.

For travelers insurance which is only good for trips up to 'x'
consecutive days outside the country, the fact that you paid for a trip
to enter the country isn't really important, whether or not you actually
physically entered the country is far more significant.