Advice on International Flight Fare Bargains

Old August 30th, 2008, 08:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Seni Seven

Default Advice on International Flight Fare Bargains

I am looking for deals on flying around halfway around the planet, from SMF
to ESB. I normally do this every few years because my family is in CA and
my wife's in Ankara, but I am wondering where the deals are, and how flying
has really changed. Last year I had all sorts of materials confiscated at
the air terminal, so I need to keep up with the rule changes too.

I rather not have a deal that takes me a week to get there. Already I have
found "deals" with 2 stops and a 12 hour stopover at Heathrow...anyone know
what I can do for 12 hours at a London airport? In past I went through
German or NYC airports...also dull.

Also is it cheaper to fly on a Thursday or Wednesday??

My trip is not likely to be a round trip, although the tickets seem
cheaper. Is it better to space the return date at least 3, 4, 8 weeks??

Your experiences welcome.
Old August 31st, 2008, 03:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

I rather not have a deal that takes me a week to get there. Already I have
found "deals" with 2 stops and a 12 hour stopover at Heathrow...anyone know
what I can do for 12 hours at a London airport?

Heathrow is about an hour from central London via the Underground.
Even allowing for plenty of time to get back and get checked in, that
should give you eight or nine hours in London.

R's,
John
Old September 1st, 2008, 07:11 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_2_]

Seni Seven wrote:

I am looking for deals on flying around halfway around the planet, from SMF
to ESB. I normally do this every few years because my family is in CA and
my wife's in Ankara, but I am wondering where the deals are, and how flying
has really changed. Last year I had all sorts of materials confiscated at
the air terminal, so I need to keep up with the rule changes too.

I rather not have a deal that takes me a week to get there. Already I have
found "deals" with 2 stops and a 12 hour stopover at Heathrow...anyone know
what I can do for 12 hours at a London airport?

Why do you need to remain at the airport?

Old September 1st, 2008, 02:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Seni Seven" wrote in message

[...]

In terms of which days of the week to choose the airlines charge more for
Friday/Saturday/Sunday on North Atlantic fares so that should give you some
clue. In general terms think of the average passenger and then avoid the
days he is likely to want to travel. Allow for public holidays (not only
in the US but at places you might change planes and at your destination (if
the day you aim to arrive in ESB is the end of a local holiday everyone will
be trying to get home).

The next thing to do might be to give some thought to the European low cost
carriers - try someone like www.skyscanner.net . Buy a ticket from SMF to
a point in Europe (probably Germany because they have a large Turkish
population) then another on to ESB. A couple of things about this
strategy. (1) the low cost carriers can be very unforgiving if you don't
check in on time. It is probably worth scheduling a night at your change
point. (2) while the cheapest ticket from SMF to Europe may well be a
round trip (just don't use the return half) the low cost carriers tend to
sell one way tickets so don't buy a round trip if you don't need it (but
watch immigration requirements - does Turkey insist you hold a round trip?).
Oh and bear in mind that the low cost may not use the same airport as your
transatlantic carrier so factor in the time to get between the two, much
less the cost of that and an hotel.

If you do come via London as others have said 12 hours gives you time to go
into London. Alternatively there are buses from the airport to Windsor
(for the castle and the park). Should you find yourself running late it's
probably quicker and cheaper to get a cab back to the airport from Windsor
than London. If you do head for London it isn't necessary to go all the
way into London. The Royal Botanical Gardens in Kew, Chiswick House and
Grounds, Syon Park, Richmond Park, the Musical Museum in Brentford, the
steam pumping engines also in Brentford and 10 minutes walk from Kew Gardens
are all in West London. It just depends what your interests are.