Continental AC power outlets in coach.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air
SMS

Default Continental AC power outlets in coach.

I was impressed to find AC outlets under my seat in coach on Continental
(737) yesterday (HOU-SFO). No funky EmPower or 12V cigarette lighter
jacks as on some carriers.

It appears as if they have inverters on every row, as the aisle seat now
has some sort of box under it which severely restricts foot room and
storage room (you can't even slide a small day pack under the aisle seat
any more). I suspect that that box contains a 24VDC to 110VAC inverter
(airplane low voltage DC wiring is 24V). There are two outlets in each
row, on either side of the center seat so everyone can reach them. I
guess it'd be a good idea to bring a triple tap just in case all three
passengers wanted an outlet.

No audio or video system at all on these 737s which appeared to be
pretty new.

Maybe next flight I'll bring a Zelco Brisk Brew coffee maker and brew my
own coffee on board. "http://tinyurl.com/zelcobriskbrew".
Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"SMS" wrote in message
I was impressed to find AC outlets under my seat in coach on Continental
(737) yesterday (HOU-SFO). No funky EmPower or 12V cigarette lighter jacks
as on some carriers.

That's something I haven't seen yet. I usually find the "cigarette lighter"
type.

It appears as if they have inverters on every row, as the aisle seat now
has some sort of box under it which severely restricts foot room and
storage room (you can't even slide a small day pack under the aisle seat
any more). I suspect that that box contains a 24VDC to 110VAC inverter
(airplane low voltage DC wiring is 24V).

Most of those "boxes" under the seats contain life jackets for water
landings.

There are two outlets in each row, on either side of the center seat so
everyone can reach them. I guess it'd be a good idea to bring a triple tap
just in case all three passengers wanted an outlet.

Most aircraft outlets are for low power draw. Ganging up on these outlets
may overload them & blow a circuit breaker.

No audio or video system at all on these 737s which appeared to be pretty
new.

Maybe next flight I'll bring a Zelco Brisk Brew coffee maker and brew my
own coffee on board. "http://tinyurl.com/zelcobriskbrew".

Yeah chuckle bring a Hibachi too, and grill up a couple of steaks.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air
SMS

Jim Davis wrote:

Most of those "boxes" under the seats contain life jackets for water
landings.

No, this wasn't the life jackets. It was a sealed aluminum box about 6"
wide, and the full height of the under seat food space, extending the
full length of the seat. Rather annoying to lose that foot space.

Most aircraft outlets are for low power draw. Ganging up on these outlets
may overload them & blow a circuit breaker.

I think it's at least 350W per each pair of AC outlets because some of
the notebook power supplies now are drawing 150 watts, and they need
some margin, but most of the laptop supplies draw only 65W-90W so three
of them could be used without overloading the inverter.

I found this:

"http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Continental_Airlines/Continental_Airlines_Boeing_737-900ER.php"

Maybe next flight I'll bring a Zelco Brisk Brew coffee maker and brew my
own coffee on board. "http://tinyurl.com/zelcobriskbrew".

Yeah chuckle bring a Hibachi too, and grill up a couple of steaks.

Exactly. There is no rule against it is there?

Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"SMS" wrote in message
Jim Davis wrote:

Most of those "boxes" under the seats contain life jackets for water
landings.

No, this wasn't the life jackets. It was a sealed aluminum box about 6"
wide, and the full height of the under seat food space, extending the full
length of the seat. Rather annoying to lose that foot space.

Most aircraft outlets are for low power draw. Ganging up on these
outlets may overload them & blow a circuit breaker.

I think it's at least 350W per each pair of AC outlets because some of the
notebook power supplies now are drawing 150 watts, and they need some
margin, but most of the laptop supplies draw only 65W-90W so three of them
could be used without overloading the inverter.

I found this:

"http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Continental_Airlines/Continental_Airlines_Boeing_737-900ER.php"

Here's a more detailed list direct from CO.

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...ity/power.aspx

That's good to know. However, in my situation, I don't see this too much.
Although I'm Platinum with CO, most of my flights are on RJ's. It's the
bare minimum. I would love to see them install USB outlets. All my
entertainment toys can run off the USB ports, and charge at the same time.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Josh

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:45:39 -0600, "Jim Davis"
wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
.. .

Jim Davis wrote:
Most aircraft outlets are for low power draw. Ganging up on these
outlets may overload them & blow a circuit breaker.

I think it's at least 350W per each pair of AC outlets because some of the
notebook power supplies now are drawing 150 watts, and they need some
margin, but most of the laptop supplies draw only 65W-90W so three of them
could be used without overloading the inverter.

Not necessarily -- as I understand it, the limit is often closer to
75-100 watts per outlet, and some people have found that they can't
charge and use their laptop at the same (it cuts off the AC power),
and have to remove the battery (so it won't charge) to use the laptop.
bare minimum. I would love to see them install USB outlets. All my
entertainment toys can run off the USB ports, and charge at the same time.

Delta has USB ports on the 777s at least (and I believe they have them
at all rows, while the AC power in Coach is only in the first ~10
rows).

Josh
Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff Hacker

"SMS" wrote in message
[...]

These are new 737s. CO will be configuring them with LiveTV (DirecTV)

Old February 24th, 2009, 03:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Neville

SMS wrote:

I guess it'd be a good idea to bring a triple tap just in case all three
passengers wanted an outlet.

Maybe not. The 110v systems I've used on aircraft are severely current limited -
to the point where on one flight I had to remove the battery from my laptop to
get it to work as the charging circuit bumped up the drain enough that the
breaker would trip.
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:12 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Robert Neville

SMS wrote:

I found this:

"http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Continental_Airlines/Continental_Airlines_Boeing_737-900ER.php"

Right, which if you read the link, you will discover that it states: "Most
airplane power systems are limited to approximately 75 Watts of power draw per
seat. "

That's barely enough to power one laptop without a battery, much less three.