Ticket Revoked By El-Al

Old February 26th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Not the Karl Orff

Default What's the point of checking in and printing your boarding passat home? (Was: Ticket Revoked By El-Al)

In article , nobody
wrote:

mtravelkay wrote:
Of course that would defeat the purpose of printing it at home, and I
have never had to check in at the ticket counter or gate agent with it,
except for having it scanned during boarding time, which is done even
with normal BPs.

Who checks your ID ? Isn't that a requirement at US airports for any and all
flights ?

Recently, either TSA or the gate agent, or both sometimes.

Also, unless they have magnetic card readers and your home printer is capable
of printing them, how does the crew know that you have actually boarded the
plane until they manually reconciliate the boarding passes ?

NW and AS use bar codes (actually NW uses bar codes and AS uses some 2D
scan code). If that doesn't work or they don't have scanners, the gate
agent keys in or touch screens your seat number

maybe the gate staff are forced to take the fake boarding passes and check
them in right away as you board so that they can have a real count to check
against. That either slows down the process or require one extra person at the
gate counter to process the fake cards right away

Old February 26th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article , nobody
wrote:

There are barcodes on the boarding pass.

Ok, out of curiosity, how are the barcodes done on the web ? Is it a .jpg or
.gif image ? Or do they use PDF, or some proprietary software ?

Just curious on how forgiving bar code readers at airports are at reading
stuff that would have been printed on a wide variety of printer types (inkjet,
dot matrix, laser etc).

In the past, the printing of bar codes required postscript printers with bar
code fonts and usually also required test runs between suppliers and buyers to
ensure code/printer compatibility.

Very forgiving. I have printed anywhere from full page to half page
size. NW's still scans.
Old February 26th, 2004, 07:19 PM
News Reader

"mtravelkay" wrote in message
m...
In some airports, ID is checked at the gate when boarding.
This is true at SJC and SNA

DL (in addition to TSA) checks IDs on the shuttle from LGA to BOS, but they
don't from BOS to LGA. A month or two ago I overheard one of the DL agents
at LGA telling another passenger that they were one of the few airports that
still check IDs at boarding time.

Old February 26th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Malcolm Weir

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 02:37:27 GMT, mtravelkay wrote:

[ Snip ]

In fact, if you check-in using an AA self-service machine, it will
print a boarding card with no mag stripe.

The computes at the gate, used at boarding time, have the ability to
read magnetic stipped BPs and bar coded BPs.

.... and barcodes.

Look, this isn't rocket science, and there's nothing special about the
mag stripe that cannot be encoded in barcodes. So they don't.

Just in case you're not getting it, no AA self-serve boarding cards
has a mag stripe. All AA gate readers have barcode scanners...

Malc.
Old February 26th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Malcolm Weir

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 00:11:40 -0500, nobody wrote:

There are barcodes on the boarding pass.

Ok, out of curiosity, how are the barcodes done on the web ? Is it a .jpg or
.gif image ? Or do they use PDF, or some proprietary software ?

It's a graphic image in the HTML (although I forget whether it's a
GIF, JPG, PNG, etc.).

Just curious on how forgiving bar code readers at airports are at reading
stuff that would have been printed on a wide variety of printer types (inkjet,
dot matrix, laser etc).

Well, a dot matrix may have, I think, some problems but otherwise the
readers are *very* robust.

The AA self-serve check-in machines print using thermal paper, and
print the whole vertical stripe at a time (so the first letter of the
passenger name, the first letter of the origin city, the first letter
of the destination city, and the "G" of "group" print at the same
time, then the second letters, etc.

Oh, and think of the scanners used at supermarkets rather than those
pen-pased things...

In the past, the printing of bar codes required postscript printers with bar
code fonts and usually also required test runs between suppliers and buyers to
ensure code/printer compatibility.

Up to a point. But consumer retail product bar codes seem to have
licked the problem, and the ready availability of bit-mapped printers
has avoided the need for special fonts.

Malc.
Old February 27th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Rubey Vogle

Default Ticket Revoked By El-Al

Well I promised y'all a follow up and here it is.

I contacted about 10 different people and offices including some
personal friends of friends who work at EL-AL. I'm not sure who pulled
it off but EL-AL came back with apologies and a confirmed ticket. I'm
still trying to figure out who to thank.

Anyway, thank you for all your interest and advice.

rw
Old February 27th, 2004, 10:18 PM
News Reader

"Rubey Vogle" wrote in message
om...
Well I promised y'all a follow up and here it is.

I contacted about 10 different people and offices including some
personal friends of friends who work at EL-AL. I'm not sure who pulled
it off but EL-AL came back with apologies and a confirmed ticket. I'm
still trying to figure out who to thank.

Anyway, thank you for all your interest and advice.

rw

Glad to hear it all worked out, but I'd have been curious to find out
exactly WHAT happened and WHY. Nobody had any good explanation?

- m

Old March 1st, 2004, 01:58 PM
Ulf Kutzner

Rubey Vogle schrieb:

it off but EL-AL came back with apologies and a confirmed ticket. I'm
still trying to figure out who to thank.

Anyway, thank you for all your interest and advice.

Have a gooid trip.

Regards, ULF
Old March 2nd, 2004, 04:44 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Scott in Aztl?n wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 02:37:27 GMT, mtravelkay wrote:

Who checks your ID ? Isn't that a requirement at US airports for any and
all
flights ?

Yup. The TSA ensures the ID is checked.

In some airports, ID is checked at the gate when boarding.
This is true at SJC and SNA

The last few times I went through SNA, my ID and boarding pass were checked
by a
TSA agent in the security line, prior to the screening stations. I don't
recall
having my ID checked a second time while boarding.

Procedures might have changed. Might, I venture, even vary from
terminal to terminal though I doubt SNA has more than one.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:00 PM
mtravelkay

Default What's the point of checking in and printing your boarding passat

Not the Karl Orff wrote:

In article ,
Scott in Aztl?n wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 02:37:27 GMT, mtravelkay wrote:

Who checks your ID ? Isn't that a requirement at US airports for any and
all
flights ?

Yup. The TSA ensures the ID is checked.

In some airports, ID is checked at the gate when boarding.
This is true at SJC and SNA

The last few times I went through SNA, my ID and boarding pass were checked
by a
TSA agent in the security line, prior to the screening stations. I don't
recall
having my ID checked a second time while boarding.

Procedures might have changed. Might, I venture, even vary from
terminal to terminal though I doubt SNA has more than one.

SNA has 2 security check points (and 15 gates). I haven't had ID checked
recently going through either one of the security check points, but I
usually go through the one on the side AA uses.