Cape Town city tour rip off

Old May 15th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Mtwhitney62

Default Cape Town city tour rip off

We took a Capetown city tour with Atlas/ Springbok. They drove us around a few
streets, then back the same streets then trapped us for 45 minutes in a jewelry
shop. This was the only place they let us off the bus. Other tour groups got to
visit the craft market.
Later we stopped for ten minutes at a beach. Since our hotel was by the beach,
we all came from the same hotel, we did not care for that stop either.
Old May 16th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Mike Potts

I was there in March. Cape Town has become a TOTAL RIP OFF. Just one
example: I wanted to buy some South African wine. The price in Cape Town was
DOUBLE what I pay here in the USA. Seafood prices were mostly HIGHER than
what I would pay here in the USA yet it costs over there are a fraction of
what we pay over here.

CAPE TOWN = RIP OFF.

"Mtwhitney62" wrote in message

We took a Capetown city tour with Atlas/ Springbok. They drove us around a
few streets, then back the same streets then trapped us for 45 minutes in a
jewelry shop. This was the only place they let us off the bus. Other tour groups got to visit the craft market.

Later we stopped for ten minutes at a beach. Since our hotel was by the
beach, we all came from the same hotel, we did not care for that stop either.

Last edited by kevin : July 31st, 2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Dave Patterson

Mike Potts wrote:

I was there in March. Cape Town has become a TOTAL RIP OFF. Just one
example: I wanted to buy some South African wine. The price in Cape Town was
DOUBLE what I pay here in the USA. Seafood prices were mostly HIGHER than
what I would pay here in the USA yet it costs over there are a fraction of
what we pay over here.

Americans will find that costs for most everything are much the same
as they are here in the US. Why? The dollar is weak against the rand,
price inflation has affected costs in South Africa, and there is a big
VAT percentage attached to virtually every transaction.

But wine is NOT expensive. Where did you shop? Supermarkets have
extensive wine selections with many good wines priced from $4 to $10
a bottle. The wine estates sell their own wines at normal prices, and
are not expensive - except for the 'marquee' names such as Kanonkop
or Hamilton Russell.

Upmarket seafood restaurants are priced about the same as here.
But the seafood chains (Fishmonger, Ocean Basket) serve big fresh
seafood meals with salad and fries for $6 to $9.. and daily specials
are even less. Neighborhood cafes are even cheaper - and this is
true in Cape Town or anywhere in the country.

South Africa is only a RIP OFF for travelers who expect it to be
some sort of fantasy world where you can have a 5-star life
for 3-star prices.

Old May 16th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Dave Patterson

Mike Potts wrote:
Seafood prices were mostly HIGHER than
what I would pay here in the USA yet it costs over there are a fraction of
what we pay over here.

Just for fun, check out today's menu from the
Ocean Basket restaurants in Cape Town.. this
one is on Kloof St. right in the City Center, but
they all charge the same:
http://www.dining-out.co.za/member_m...?MemberID=2108

To get the price in dollars, divide by 6.7 (or make it simpler
by dividing by 7 - you'll be close enough).

Calamari rings for a starter - fresh and perfectly cooked: $3
Entrees such as Kingclip or the linefish of the day: $6.50 to $7.

Or how about this:
Seafood Platter for two
The ultimate Ocean Basket taste sensation. Calamari fried and grilled, Mussels,
Prawns, Kingklip and a healthy serving of chips and rice. All lovingly arranged
in a mammoth pan and placed in the center of the table to be devoured. R 129.00
That's less than $20. And just about more than two people can finish.

Judge for yourself if this is a RIP OFF.

Last edited by kevin : July 31st, 2005 at 08:22 AM.
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Dave Patterson

Sorry - that was the web page for the Canal Walk
Ocean Basket.. the same as the one for Kloof St.,
which is this one:
http://www.dining-out.co.za/member_m...?MemberID=2150

Last edited by kevin : July 31st, 2005 at 08:23 AM.
Old May 16th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Mike Potts

The locals, in a bout of heady greed, converted their prices into straight
dollar equivalents, with total disregard to what these goods and services
cost - it is a simple case of price gouging. Now that the dollar is weaker,
the effects are far more pronounced yet the prices have not been adjusted
accordingly.

What really set me off about Cape Town is when I queried the wine store
clerk about the price of that bottle of wine - $60 in Cape Town, instead of
the usual $30 per bottle that I usually pay, I was told something to the
effect of: "Well, that's the price and if you do not like it I'm very sorry
for you".

I saw the same price gouging at the duty free shops in Johannesburg
International Airport. It was beyond the pale of decency - local music CD's
were being sold for up around $30/copy. Of course, these are CD's not
available here in the USA so they obviously decided to gouge visitors (but
only if those visitors are willing to pay).

Also, we had a few minor items stolen from our checked baggage. South
African airways has yet to offer me the courtesy of a response. Delta was
decent enough to send me a claim form.

I could go on and on with examples where pricing has gone way into gouging
territory, but I don't have the time. I used to visit Cape Town once every
two years but not any more.

As for your suggestion that I visit one of the seafood chains - that's not
exactly what I want - I am not a travelling student and prefer to eat at
places equal to or better than where I eat at home. Besides, those same
places had fairly REASONABLE prices two or more years ago. What happened is
that greed set in.

Old May 16th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Mike Potts

Mike Potts wrote:

I was there in March. Cape Town has become a TOTAL RIP OFF. Just one
example: I wanted to buy some South African wine. The price in Cape Town

was
DOUBLE what I pay here in the USA. Seafood prices were mostly HIGHER

than
what I would pay here in the USA yet it costs over there are a fraction

of
what we pay over here.

Americans will find that costs for most everything are much the same
as they are here in the US. Why? The dollar is weak against the rand,
price inflation has affected costs in South Africa, and there is a big
VAT percentage attached to virtually every transaction.

P.S. Dave, I see you're in the tourism business yourself.....

Old May 16th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Dave Patterson

Mike, thanks for the reasoned and very specific
reply - in fact, the issue of gouging in Cape Town
is something that is being discussed and debated
this spring in the South African tourism industry.

There is a daily newsletter that we receive that
should see what you have experienced. I suspect
you won't object if I copy your note and send it
in to be circulated throughout the country - read
by both industry and government figures.

By way of explanation - I'm a safari operator and
have a home in one of the small communities east of
Cape Town - spend a few months there each year
and just returned from the most recent visit 5 weeks ago.
I have never seen anything
priced in dollars, (except Mala Mala camp)
so it is a point of curiosity to know
perhaps a few more specifics about where you
encountered this.

Old May 16th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Mike Potts

Dave,

The wine store was Carolines Fine Wine at the Waterfront. Yes, I know the
Waterfront is expensive but where else is one to look for good South African
wines when you do not have time to visit the estates. A bottle of 1996
Meerlust Rubicon was being featured in the store for the mere price of R369
(or thereabouts). That translated to approx $60/bottle... The woman in the
store was just plain rude. I do not know if it was Caroline herself. After
that I talked to a wine store owner who told me that many of the wine
farmers deliver wine to individual stores - so there isn't even a shipping
or distribution cost attached to many (but not all) of the local wines!!

FWIW, since you offered your background I feel obliged to tell you that my
real name is not Mike Potts... I do not use my real name on the newsgroups.

Old May 17th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Dave Patterson

Interesting about Caroline's.. I know the store, and also
the other (original) location in City Centre. I agree that
the 'help' was unhelpful @ the Waterfront location. If you
ever get back there, might check out Waterfront World
of Wine, which today has Meerlust Rubicon much cheaper
(though still not cheap @ 220 ZAR)
http://www.waterfrontworldofwine.com/winelist.php
I am also a Meerlust fan.. for their Chardonnay. People
who wonder why we are always happy to visit the
wine estates might like to see this site:
http://www.meerlust.co.za/