Animal or human excrement use, I look for info.

Old February 8th, 2006, 07:55 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Animal or human excrement use, I look for info.

Hi, I look fo some peoples using animal or human excrement for fuel or hut
building or for other things.
Can you help me to remember some peoples, please?
thanks

bye Jones
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:26 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message , Jones
writes
Hi, I look fo some peoples using animal or human excrement for fuel or hut
building or for other things.
Can you help me to remember some peoples, please?
thanks

bye Jones

In Nigeria human waste or "night soil" is used to fertilise land where
fruit and vegetables are grown, also huts are daubed with this waste on
the walls. I`m not sure about it`s use as a fuel.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:54 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message
Pat Anderson wrote:

In message , Jones
writes
Hi, I look fo some peoples using animal or human excrement for fuel or hut
building or for other things.
Can you help me to remember some peoples, please?
thanks

bye Jones

In Nigeria human waste or "night soil" is used to fertilise land where
fruit and vegetables are grown, also huts are daubed with this waste on
the walls. I`m not sure about it`s use as a fuel.

Methane (biogas) from e.g. cattle droppings mixed with water can be
used as a very clean heating and cooking fuel.

Plus elephant dung can be used for making paper.

Or artwork (e.g. Turner prize nominee/winner? a few years back)

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz: http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
Old February 9th, 2006, 07:25 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

In most parts of rural southern Africa cattle dung is used as a
flooring material as well as to make and decorate the walls of huts.
Virtually all of the rural communities use this method, particularly
in areas where there is only short seasonal rain or it is very dry.

Marc

Old February 9th, 2006, 03:03 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In Nigeria human waste or "night soil" is used to fertilise land where
fruit and vegetables are grown, also huts are daubed with this waste on
the walls. I`m not sure about it`s use as a fuel.

Pat, thanks for your news. Can you tell me what people do it, please?

Old February 9th, 2006, 10:13 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

The Masai in East-Africa are known to build houses with cow dung.

Google.

http://www.itdg.org/html/shelter/expertise.htm

for example

good luck

Barend Jasper

Old February 9th, 2006, 10:37 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message , Jones
writes
In Nigeria human waste or "night soil" is used to fertilise land where
fruit and vegetables are grown, also huts are daubed with this waste on
the walls. I`m not sure about it`s use as a fuel.

Pat, thanks for your news. Can you tell me what people do it, please?

I lived in both the Niger Delta and Northern Nigeria, one of the
things we had to do was wash all vegetables, salads and some fruits in
a solution of Milton ( a sterilising chemical) because the land where
these vegetables were grown was fertilised by human waste. The Ghanaians
also use the same system and there are probably other countries that do
the same. If you do a search you should get more help.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old February 9th, 2006, 11:47 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message
Jones wrote:

Dear Liz, can you tell me what people use human waste as a very clean heating
and cooking fuel, please?

A quick google on 'biogas Africa' yields 196000 results.
The first two page search results feature, specifically South Africa,
southern Sudan, Mali, Cameroon, Chad, Central African Republic,
Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Tanzania.
I'm sure you can get lots of information to support your research.

Slainte

Liz