Best lodges in the Mara for game

Old February 25th, 2006, 06:58 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Best lodges in the Mara for game

In message
Dave Patterson wrote:

Forgot to put in the web site!
http://www.wildernesslodges.co.ke/

Is that the same company as the ones who operate under that name in
Namibia?

If so, have the prices shot up dramatically since they were Block
lodges?

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz: http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
Old February 26th, 2006, 04:18 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Liz wrote:

Is that the same company as the ones who operate under that name in
Namibia?

No - this is a new organization, but I know nothing about
the principals or the source of the funds.

Have the prices shot up dramatically since they were Block
lodges?

We find increases at all properties for 2006, as tourism has
rebounded and the lodge & hotel operators are trying to
recover from their 'flat' years of the early 2000's.

Old February 26th, 2006, 12:01 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message
Dave Patterson wrote:

Liz wrote:
Is that the same company as the ones who operate under that name in
Namibia

No - this is a new organization, but I know nothing about
the principals or the source of the funds.

Have the prices shot up dramatically since they were Block
lodges?

We find increases at all properties for 2006, as tourism has
rebounded and the lodge & hotel operators are trying to
recover from their 'flat' years of the early 2000's.

Thanks for the info.
Good for them, if not for me.

Slainte

Liz

Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:50 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Dave Patterson wrote:
My one suggestion - as you are setting up your budget -
is to secure your own guide/driver from the operator
and use one of the larger lodges as your base.

Dave, thanks for the help. That is exactly what we plan to do anyway -
our operator is providing a Landcruiser just for us, and I've already
spoken to him about a guide (got a recommendation for a specific
guide). Based on what you wrote, I think we'll probably go for the
Serena. Central location sounds nice enough, all things considered.

I am not that fussed about luxury. If it is clean, I am ok with it.

Tom - the walking safaris sound interesting, but I will be doing a
separate walking trip tracking big game in Zimbabwe later this year.
The Zim trips are more along the lines of what I want in a walking trip
anyway. The private camps sound good, though - but to be honest, for
that sort of money, I'd rather do one of the mobile safaris run by
Origin Safaris.

Thanks all for your help.

Cheers,
Vandit