Dentist in Thailand?

Old August 14th, 2007, 05:36 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

Default Dentist in Thailand?

On Aug 12, 3:26 pm, (Petra Hildebrandt) wrote:
Hi,

I am thinking about having some dental work done in Thailand (or
Malaysia), starting with tooth cleaning, repair of fillings, and maybe
reproduction of a partial prothesis (which costs an arm and a leg in my
part of the world) - any insights on dos and don'ts, costs etc?

Bumrungrad Hospital. Western quality dental care at about 20% or less
of Western prices. Example: I needed 4 crowns replaced. I had them
done in the US 30 years or so ago. Price in the US was $1,100 each as
quoted by my California dentist 2 years ago. I had them done in
Bumrungard for about $700 total.

Old August 14th, 2007, 09:47 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Alfred Molon" kirjoitti
.com...

It is possible that in Finland the health insurance covers much more
than the one in Germany. In Germany unfortunately more complex things
such as tooth replacement are not covered by the standard health
insurance or just by a very small percentage.

I believe in Germany people are insured against malpractice caused by dental
operations even if they had to pay for them.

Another thing, you are assuming a highly unlikely worst case scenario.
We are not talking about a brain tumor operation. It's unlikely that
replacing teeth would cause permanent disability or even death. I might
also mention that medical service, at least in Malaysia but perhaps in
Thailand as well, is of high quality. Also, as a foreigner in SE Asia
you would obviously choose experienced doctors with a proven track
record.
__________________________________________________ __

As I said I have had no assumptions about the quality.

Old August 15th, 2007, 08:44 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
michael

On Aug 12, 3:26 pm, (Petra Hildebrandt) wrote:
Hi,

I am thinking about having some dental work done in Thailand (or
Malaysia), starting with tooth cleaning, repair of fillings, and maybe
reproduction of a partial prothesis (which costs an arm and a leg in my
part of the world) - any insights on dos and don'ts, costs etc?

TIA,

Petra

--
Mein Foodblog -http://www.foodfreak.de
Texte & Rezensionen -http://texte.webhafen.de

Costs in Thailand will be anywhere from 20% to %50% of Canadian
costs... there are websites galore with price lists and everything you
need to know... I'd recommend booking into the Atlanta Hotel and
having a chat over breakfast with any one of the middle-aged German,
Dutch or Scandinavian women who are having various dental and cosmetic
procedures done in Bangkok... there are always a few, sometimes
many... they pay for the holiday with what they save if they have
enough to get done...

Thai dentists in the clinics that treat farang are usually American-
trained, fluent in English, and equipped above the standard in
Canada... medical and dental tourism are facts of life hereabouts and
I've yet to hear any complaints... some of these people return year
after year, taking sidetrips to Burma and Laos and Malaysia as a
treat. I would ignore Markku's dark maunderings. Enjoy.

michael

Old August 16th, 2007, 09:45 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Petra Hildebrandt

Markku Grönroos wrote:

Naturally I cannot say I know better than you do about the design of
the German health care system. However, I am inclined to believe that
when corrective health care is needed, in Germany you are provided this
by some small fee.

well... I have (among other minor stuff) a specific dental problem to be
taken care of, my husband has a few more such as crowns to be replaced,
my specific problem would cost approximately 2000 Euro each per tooth (2
front row implants) .

My so-called health insurance wants to convince me of a cheap(er)
procedure which would include damaging 4 perfectly intact teeth to
anchor a bridge, and would offer about 20% of the costs.

The German health insurance does cover only miniscule fractions of
dental care, even of necessary dental care, let alone solutions which
are designed to last longer than a few years or are actually good for
your dental health.

So if you consider I might have 4000 Euro cost, plus another two or
three thou' for my husbands crowns, a trip to Thailand seems to be a
savvy solution.

I would have to pay any follow-up costs at my local dentist one way or
the other, anyway, so aside from liability there is no reason why I
couldn't have some stuff done in SE Asia instead of applying for a
credit at my bank...

Thanks to all of you who replied, in particular giving cost comparisons
and statements about the quality of dental work. This was really
helpful.

Petra

Old August 16th, 2007, 09:56 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Markku Grönroos

"Petra Hildebrandt" kirjoitti
e...

The German health insurance does cover only miniscule fractions of
dental care, even of necessary dental care, let alone solutions which
are designed to last longer than a few years or are actually good for
your dental health.

I have been talking on an insurance covering malpractice.

Old September 1st, 2007, 12:41 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
gus

On 12 Aug, 01:26, (Petra Hildebrandt) wrote:
Hi,

I am thinking about having some dental work done inThailand(or
Malaysia), starting with tooth cleaning, repair of fillings, and maybe
reproduction of a partial prothesis (which costs an arm and a leg in my
part of the world) - any insights on dos and don'ts, costs etc?

TIA,

Petra

--
Mein Foodblog -http://www.foodfreak.de
Texte & Rezensionen -http://texte.webhafen.de

I lived in thailand for years and had root canal work done - went just
fine for me - it's absolutely the case (there and elsewhere) that you
get what you pay for. Go to a decent private hospital in bangkok and
you'll get pretty good treatment at a large discount on western
prices. Cut corners and you won't. Period.