Oklahoma City and Wichita

Old November 5th, 2009, 07:28 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Magiel Venema[_2_]

Default Oklahoma City and Wichita

Any opinions if it is worthwhile to visit yhose cities, and if yes, what
to see and do?

Magiel
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:10 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Nile

Magiel*Venema asked:
Any opinions if it is worthwhile to visit yhose cities, and if yes,

what to see and do?

As destinations, or are you traveling through? Oklahoma City has the
Indian museum, capitol, the 1995 Murrah Bldg memorial, and Remington
Park horse races this time of year. I can't tell you about Wichita.
Lawrence and western Kansas have more Old West and Indian sites.

Old November 9th, 2009, 09:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Magiel Venema[_2_]

Nile wrote:
Magiel Venema asked:
Any opinions if it is worthwhile to visit yhose cities, and if yes,

what to see and do?

As destinations, or are you traveling through? Oklahoma City has the
Indian museum, capitol, the 1995 Murrah Bldg memorial, and Remington
Park horse races this time of year. I can't tell you about Wichita.
Lawrence and western Kansas have more Old West and Indian sites.

Dear Nile,

We are from Europe and never have been in one of those states like
Oklahoma and Kansas. We would like to asee the big landscapes with
wheatr, wheat and wheat :-)
Old November 9th, 2009, 05:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 10:15:56 +0100, Magiel Venema
wrote:

Nile wrote:
Magiel Venema asked:
Any opinions if it is worthwhile to visit yhose cities, and if yes,

what to see and do?

As destinations, or are you traveling through? Oklahoma City has the
Indian museum, capitol, the 1995 Murrah Bldg memorial, and Remington
Park horse races this time of year. I can't tell you about Wichita.
Lawrence and western Kansas have more Old West and Indian sites.

Dear Nile,

We are from Europe and never have been in one of those states like
Oklahoma and Kansas. We would like to asee the big landscapes with
wheatr, wheat and wheat :-)

I lived in Empoira and Whicta, Kansas, for several years and had
to find ways to releive my boredom.

To see the amber waves of grain you really need to travel west
from Wichita. You can get a pretty good feel by following route
US-54. That will also take you past lots of grain elevators to
Dodge City. But watch out; distances are huge in the American
western prairies and mountains. More like the Steppes of Central
Asia.

Of course, seeing the amber waves of grain you need to come at
teh right time of year. Probably about July. Otherwise you might
just see huge fields of stubble.

I have to tell you honestly, though, driving across Kansas is
pretty boring, although that can be a kind of cool tourist
experience in its own right. But for truly boring I would
recommend driving from around Dallas, Texas, to El Paso.

One of the more surprising things in the Wichita area is the
Cosmosphere and Space Center in Hutchinson, Kansas. About the
time the Apollo space program was being wound down by NASA the
college there decided a space museum would be nice. They wrote to
NASA about the museum plans, and since NASA had a lot of stuff to
surplus, they sent Hutchinson a great deal of good stuff,
including a real lunar lander (not used, of course) which serves
as the centerpiece of the exhibit. They also have an exhibit on
how the astronauts went to the loo in those days of tiny cramped
spacecraft. Fascinating.

http://www.cosmo.org/

Wichita has a nice zoo. And a sort of outdoor museum called Old
Cowtown: http://www.oldcowtown.org/. Frankly, that's about it. I
was quite happy when a consulting firm in in the San Francisco
Bay area called and asked me if wanted an assignment in San
Francisco. I don't think I need to tell you the answer.

Old November 10th, 2009, 12:24 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_4_]

"Magiel Venema" wrote in message
Nile wrote:
Magiel Venema asked:
Any opinions if it is worthwhile to visit yhose cities, and if yes,

what to see and do? As destinations, or are you traveling through?
Oklahoma City has the
Indian museum, capitol, the 1995 Murrah Bldg memorial, and Remington
Park horse races this time of year. I can't tell you about Wichita.
Lawrence and western Kansas have more Old West and Indian sites.

Dear Nile,

We are from Europe and never have been in one of those states like
Oklahoma and Kansas. We would like to asee the big landscapes with wheatr,
wheat and wheat :-)

The Ukraine is much the same and closer. If you want real wide open spaces
I'd suggest Montana or South Dakota, by contrast Kansas is overpopulated

Seriously flat

Old November 10th, 2009, 11:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Nile

Hatunen wrote:

Of course, seeing the amber waves of grain you need to come at teh

right time of year. Probably about July. Otherwise you might just see
huge fields of stubble.

Wheat will be green from March - May; ripe (amber) May to early June.
Wheat harvest is in June.

Kansas is the place to go to see wheat fields.