Japan hotels or ryokans

Old October 6th, 2007, 11:53 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

Default Japan hotels or ryokans

I'm looking for affordable accomodation in Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto and
Tokyo. Will likely be ryokans (anything else is probably too expensive).
What would you recommend?
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Philippe Noth[_2_]

Hi Alfred,

I'm looking for affordable accomodation in Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto and
Tokyo. Will likely be ryokans (anything else is probably too expensive).
What would you recommend?

In Hiroshima I warmly recommend Business Ryokan Sansui,
http://jpinn.com/inn/13-3.html. The price was good (4000Y at the time)
and the elder woman running the place was delicious. She does not speak
a single word of English, that made our attempts at communication quite
funny.

Besides, it's true that the location is pretty good. I walked to the
nearby memorial, and the tram stop to Miyajima island is down the street.

As a general rule, do not hesitate to ask at the tourist office in the
train stations. Often they will call the ryokan themselves and explain
you how to get there. But do ask for Japanese style accomodation
otherwise they might send you to a boring hotel, like the one I had in
Kagoshima.

The ryokan in Kyoto was also quite nice, even though it lacked the cosy
and warm welcome of the Sansui. Ryokan Kyoka, 4000Y. It's near the train
station.

Have a nice trip!

--
Philippe
Old October 6th, 2007, 02:17 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Philippe Noth[_2_]

Hi Alfred,

[...]

Philippe Noth, Montreux, Switzerland
Old October 6th, 2007, 03:03 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
tim.....

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
I'm looking for affordable accomodation in Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto and
Tokyo. Will likely be ryokans (anything else is probably too expensive).

hrs can get you rooms in all these for 50 Euro or less.

Seems an affordable price to me

(I wish I could get close to that in Sweden for next week)

tim

Old October 6th, 2007, 04:42 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Oct 6, 6:53 am, Alfred Molon wrote:
I'm looking for affordable accomodation in Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto and
Tokyo. Will likely be ryokans (anything else is probably too expensive).
What would you recommend?

"Business hotels" are typically around US $100-150 per night per room,
and offer small, clean rooms in central locations.

I recommend the Toshi Center Hotel in Tokyo.

There are cheaper hotels, which tend to be in out of the way
locations, like Tokyo's Sakura Hotel ($70 for a double room).

Keep in mind that many ryokans have curfews, have you sleep on a mat
on the floor instead of a normal bed and pillow, and have rules which
guests are expected to follow. You might want to stay in one for one
night for the experience, but you may not want to spend your whole
trip in them.

Old October 7th, 2007, 03:41 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

Thanks for all tips. Do I need advance booking or can I just book
(affordable) rooms in airports or train stations in Japan?

I used to do so in China, but there most hotels are cheap.
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 18th, 2007, 08:35 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , tim..... says...

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
I'm looking for affordable accomodation in Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto and
Tokyo. Will likely be ryokans (anything else is probably too expensive).

hrs can get you rooms in all these for 50 Euro or less.

I just tried hrs.de and the cheapest I could find in Tokyo between Oct.
28 and Nov. 2 cost 66 Euro/night, even allowing a max. distance of 20km
from Tokyo. On which hrs site did you find those cheap hotels?
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:22 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
tim.....

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , tim..... says...

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
I'm looking for affordable accomodation in Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto and
Tokyo. Will likely be ryokans (anything else is probably too
expensive).

hrs can get you rooms in all these for 50 Euro or less.

I just tried hrs.de and the cheapest I could find in Tokyo between Oct.
28 and Nov. 2 cost 66 Euro/night, even allowing a max. distance of 20km
from Tokyo. On which hrs site did you find those cheap hotels?

sorry, can't remember what I did.

tim

Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:49 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
gtr

On 2007-10-18 12:35:28 -0700, Alfred Molon said:

In article , tim..... says...

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
I'm looking for affordable accomodation in Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto and
Tokyo. Will likely be ryokans (anything else is probably too expensive).

hrs can get you rooms in all these for 50 Euro or less.

I just tried hrs.de and the cheapest I could find in Tokyo between Oct.
28 and Nov. 2 cost 66 Euro/night, even allowing a max. distance of 20km
from Tokyo. On which hrs site did you find those cheap hotels?

Can't speak to the site but getting a room in Kyoto or Osaka for 50E a
night seems easiest by just showing up at the train station, and
finding the local tourist center and having them chase a joint down for
you. Of course if you go during a tricky weekend you could find
yourself paying more like 66E instead.
--
Thank you and have a nice day.

Old October 24th, 2007, 07:19 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Jean1

Non-smoking restaurants in Japan :
http://www.smokefreeworld.com/japan.shtml