Electricity along Everest Base Camp trek villages.

Old October 19th, 2007, 12:47 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,uk.rec.walking,rec.climbing,alt.rec.hiking
Anto

Default Electricity along Everest Base Camp trek villages.

Hello,

does anyone knows if the main villages along the Everest Base Camp
(Lulka, Phakding, Namche Bazaar, Shyamboche, Tengboche, Dingboche,
Lobouche, Gorak Shep) there is any possibility to find electricity? I
need basically to recharge the batteries of my digital camera.

Thanks,

Antonio D'Albore

Old October 19th, 2007, 01:05 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,uk.rec.walking,rec.climbing,alt.rec.hiking
Peter Clinch

Anto wrote:

does anyone knows if the main villages along the Everest Base Camp
(Lulka, Phakding, Namche Bazaar, Shyamboche, Tengboche, Dingboche,
Lobouche, Gorak Shep) there is any possibility to find electricity? I
need basically to recharge the batteries of my digital camera.

Maybe get one of the wee solar powered chargers available for this.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:35 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,uk.rec.walking,rec.climbing,alt.rec.hiking
Anto

Thanks Pete,

we do already have a 20W rollable solar panel but since we have plan
to hike without porters are trying to keep the gear to the minimum.

Antonio

Old October 19th, 2007, 03:40 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,uk.rec.walking,rec.climbing,alt.rec.hiking
Mike Clark

In message . com
Anto wrote:

Thanks Pete,

we do already have a 20W rollable solar panel but since we have plan
to hike without porters are trying to keep the gear to the minimum.

Antonio

Get a digital camera that can use disposable cells? Then you don't even
need to carry the chargers.

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
Old October 19th, 2007, 03:51 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,uk.rec.walking,rec.climbing,alt.rec.hiking
Phil Cook

Anto wrote:

Thanks Pete,

we do already have a 20W rollable solar panel but since we have plan
to hike without porters are trying to keep the gear to the minimum.

Why are you planning to hike without porters? Bea in mind even
basecamp is a /long/ way up and you may well have acclimatisation
problems, I would go for the luxury of hiring porters to look after
the loads and getting set up at mealtimes and overnight. I haven't
actually been but all the advice is to hire a porter and swallow your
pride and salve whatever scruples you may have about exploitation by
being a good employer paying a good rate and perhaps handing over some
kit when you have finished.
--
Phil Cook, last hill: Geal Charn above Glen Markie
Old October 19th, 2007, 03:56 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,uk.rec.walking,rec.climbing,alt.rec.hiking
Anto

Hi Phil,

we have plan to buy meals and sleep in the lodges along the trail so,
at the end, not too much gear is needed. Just spare clothes, few
toiletry, medical kit, sleeping bag, digital camera, water and some
energy snacks.
Do you really think is necessary to hire porters for such light load?

Antonio

Old October 19th, 2007, 04:14 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,uk.rec.walking,rec.climbing,alt.rec.hiking
sandy saunders

does anyone knows if the main villages along the Everest Base Camp
(Lulka, Phakding, Namche Bazaar, Shyamboche, Tengboche, Dingboche,
Lobouche, Gorak Shep) there is any possibility to find electricity? I
need basically to recharge the batteries of my digital camera.

There is electricity in Lukla and Namche, although not sure whether capable
of supporting charging of batteries .... sockets, strength etc. Camped at
most of the other places last year, had tea in the odd lodge, and I seem to
remember there was some form of lighting though memory a little 'dim' .....
bit like the lights!

The other issue is how long you are trekking for. I have done two 1 month
trips in Nepal and on both trips carries batteries and never ran out of
power. First trips was a camera that took 4 x AA, and the second was with
two canon cameras, with propriety batteries, and again more than enough
power. We did have porters though, so spare batteries were carries for me!

--
Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk
'Mountains or Mole Hills, summiting

Old October 20th, 2007, 08:45 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,uk.rec.walking,rec.climbing,alt.rec.hiking
Ted

On Oct 19, 12:47 pm, Anto wrote:
Hello,

does anyone knows if the main villages along the Everest Base Camp
(Lulka, Phakding, Namche Bazaar, Shyamboche, Tengboche, Dingboche,
Lobouche, Gorak Shep) there is any possibility to find electricity? I
need basically to recharge the batteries of my digital camera.

Thanks,

Antonio D'Albore

A friend who did the based camp walk a few years ago said he had
problems with his digital camera batteries freezing, he could only get
a couple of shops from them before having to warm up the camera inside
his jacket.

This was a few years ago with an old, 1st generation, camera.

Ted

Old October 20th, 2007, 10:59 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,uk.rec.walking,rec.climbing,alt.rec.hiking
[email protected]

On 19 Oct, 13:35, Anto wrote:
Thanks Pete,

we do already have a 20W rollable solar panel but since we have plan
to hike without porters are trying to keep the gear to the minimum.

Antonio

My wife took a hair-drier on the Jomson trail, to universal derision.
And, of course, there was electricity everywhere we stopped.
Intermittent, rolling blackouts, but it was there. I think you'll
certainly find it enough to recharge batteries.

My main point however is to encourage you to rethink hiring porters.
Don't be a cheapskate. Anyone who can afford to fly to Nepal can
afford the minuscule extra for this. By our standards it's dirt
cheap, but you'll make a big difference to someone's life out there.
The country is poor enough anyway, but the political situation has hit
the tourist trade badly, and they are desperate. And it'll make your
trip a whole lot easier.

Have a great time.

David W

Old October 20th, 2007, 04:06 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,uk.rec.walking,rec.climbing,alt.rec.hiking
David[_13_]

Haven't trekked in Nepal, but climbed Kilimanjaro via the Western
Breach a few years ago. I'd definitely encourage using porters. Once
you start getting up above 12,000' you'll REALLY appreciate them. At
first we felt slightly guilty (we're macho High Sierra backpackers,
you know...), but we probably wouldn't have summited without them.

On Kili the porters cost us $6 a day (plus a tip at the end), and in
Tanzania, that's pretty good money. It's a total bargain, directly
contributes to the local economy, and you'll enjoy yourselves a lot
more.

Take lots of photos and put them online when you return, so we can
see!

David