how to drive from Bronx to Manhattan First Avenue

Old September 21st, 2009, 07:40 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
ArbH

Default how to drive from Bronx to Manhattan First Avenue

We are Californian on New England vacation next month.
How do I drive from Bronx 278 Buckner Expressway south bound to Park Avenue
in Manhattan? Actually, I will br drive from New Heaven, Connecticut.
I am look at the map and do not know I should take the Triborough Bridge in
the Randalls Island and drive into Franklin Roosevelt Drive along the East
Rivier? Or, I should take the Thrid Avenue Bridge from Bronx into Manhattan
Third Avenue. What are each option toll charges?
According to Google Map direction, I should take the Triborough Bridge to
get on 125th Street, Manhattan. What are the toll charges?
I need to program the GPS so that I can drive and get there safely. Thank
you.

Old September 21st, 2009, 08:22 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Sep 21, 2:40*pm, "ArbH" wrote:
We are Californian on New England vacation next month.
How do I drive from Bronx 278 Buckner Expressway south bound to Park Avenue
in Manhattan? Actually, I will br drive from New Heaven, Connecticut.
I am look at the map and do not know I should take the Triborough Bridge in
the Randalls Island and drive into Franklin Roosevelt Drive along the East
Rivier? Or, I should take the Thrid Avenue Bridge from Bronx into Manhattan
Third Avenue. What are each option toll charges?
According to Google Map direction, I should take the Triborough Bridge to
get on 125th Street, Manhattan. What are the toll charges?
I need to program the GPS so that I can drive and get there safely. Thank
you.

Toll charges may be found on the MTA website www.mta.info, under
tunnels & brides.

Traffic is usually very heavy.

You may find it easier to take the train from New Haven to Grand
Central Terminal. Same website, under Metro North, then trains to
Grand Central Terminal on the schedule. Express trains run frequently
all day long..
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:41 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
John Levine

We are Californian on New England vacation next month.
How do I drive from Bronx 278 Buckner Expressway south bound to Park Avenue
in Manhattan? Actually, I will br drive from New Heaven, Connecticut.

You're really better off taking the train from New Haven to Grand
Central Terminal which is on Park Ave in the middle of New York. The
round trip offpeak fare is $28, less than what you'd pay just to park
in Manhattan, not to mention the bridge and thruway tolls. If you've
never driven in NYC traffic, you won't enjoy it as your GPS keeps
telling you to make turns that the traffic won't permit.

Trains go at least hourly all day, more often at busy times.

See http://mta.info/mnr/html/planning/sc.../schedules.htm for
New Haven line schedules.

R's,
John

Old September 21st, 2009, 11:16 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

John Levine writes:
You're really better off taking the train from New Haven to Grand
Central Terminal which is on Park Ave in the middle of New York. The
round trip offpeak fare is $28....

If you do this, be aware that there are multiple train services from
New Haven to New York. John is talking about the Metro-North trains.
There are also Amtrak trains in two grades, Regional and Acela, with
two classes of seating on each. Amtrak is less frequent and I'd expect
even the cheapest trip to cost quite a lot more than $28, but it also
has nicer seats and on-board refreshments, which Metro-North does not.
Travel time will be about the same for either service.

Amtrak and Metro-North use the same station in New Haven (very likely
they have separate ticket windows, so you have to use the right one)
but in New York they use different stations, about a mile apart --
Metro-North uses Grand Central, as stated, while Amtrak uses
Penn(sylvania) Station.

See http://mta.info/mnr/html/planning/sc.../schedules.htm

And see under http://www.amtrak.com if you want to consider Amtrak.
--
Mark Brader "The best you can write will be the best you are.
Toronto Every sentence is the result of a long probation."

Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:54 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

You can use Google maps to navigate, so is your question - "how to avoid
tolls ?"
For amounts for each option - fill in the blank he
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

"ArbH" wrote in message
We are Californian on New England vacation next month.
How do I drive from Bronx 278 Buckner Expressway south bound to Park
Avenue
in Manhattan? Actually, I will be drive from New Haven, Connecticut.

Old September 22nd, 2009, 04:42 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
John Levine

You're really better off taking the train from New Haven to Grand
Central Terminal which is on Park Ave in the middle of New York. The
round trip offpeak fare is $28....

If you do this, be aware that there are multiple train services from
New Haven to New York. John is talking about the Metro-North trains.
There are also Amtrak trains in two grades, Regional and Acela, with
two classes of seating on each. Amtrak is less frequent and I'd expect
even the cheapest trip to cost quite a lot more than $28, ...

The cheapest Amtrak round trip fare is a ridiculous $68. It doesn't
make sense to use Amtrak for such a short trip.

has nicer seats and on-board refreshments, which Metro-North does not.

I gather you've never experienced the Bar Car. See the Metro-North
schedule for details.

R's,
John
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:14 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Jimmy

"ArbH" wrote:
How do I drive from Bronx 278 Buckner Expressway south bound to Park Avenue
in Manhattan? Actually, I will br drive from New Heaven, Connecticut.
I am look at the map and do not know I should take the Triborough Bridge in
the Randalls Island and drive into Franklin Roosevelt Drive along the East
Rivier? Or, I should take the Thrid Avenue Bridge from Bronx into Manhattan
Third Avenue. What are each option toll charges?

The Triborough Bridge costs $5.50 each way, with no discounts for out-
of-state E-ZPass as of this past summer. Per mile, the Bronx-
Manhattan route is probably the highest priced toll road in the

country.

The Third Avenue Bridge and other Harlem River bridges are free.

For me, there would be no question -- I'd take the free route.
(Unless it was the middle of rush hour and I thought there would be a
lot less traffic on the Triborough.)

For directions, you can use Google Maps and drag the route over to the
Third Avenue Bridge. Or you can take the Bruckner Expressway (I-278)
to the end, get on the Deegan (I-87) north to the first exit, and
follow the service road to 3rd Avenue, where you make a left. You can
also take a left on Alexander and a right on Bruckner Boulevard, which
has a bridge entrance ramp as well. Or just follow everyone else, or
the signs.

Both bridges have direct connections to the southbound Harlem River/
FDR Drive. Or you can take local streets. I'd recommend not taking
Park Avenue north of 96th Street -- it's very narrow because the Metro
North railroad embankment is in the middle, and therefore gets really
slow. Lexington and 2nd are better for heading south.

Jimmy
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:23 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Jimmy

John Levine wrote:
ArbH wrote:
We are Californian on New England vacation next month.
How do I drive from Bronx 278 Buckner Expressway south bound to Park Avenue
in Manhattan? Actually, I will br drive from New Heaven, Connecticut.

You're really better off taking the train from New Haven to Grand
Central Terminal which is on Park Ave in the middle of New York. The
round trip offpeak fare is $28, less than what you'd pay just to park
in Manhattan, not to mention the bridge and thruway tolls.

While I like to encourage mass transit use, for a group of people
travelling together, driving will be much cheaper. It's very easy to
find free street parking on the far Upper East Side (just be sure to
read all the signs), or very cheap garage parking in the highrise
apartment buildings in the east 90s. Even in Midtown, it's easy to
park for far less than $56 per day.

And it's very easy to avoid tolls -- see my other post for the bridge,
and take the Hutchinson River Parkway to avoid the $1.75 northbound-
only toll on I-95 in New Rochelle. (The parkway route is also more
scenic than I-95, and usually has less traffic.)

Of course, the train could be less stressful, *if* the schedules work
out, you don't have a lot of luggage, and your origin and destination
are convenient to stations.

Jimmy
Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:36 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
ArbH

"Jimmy" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you Jimmy. I check Google Map. I go from Bruckner Expressway I-278 to
the end (stay in the middle lane or right?) to get onto the Deegan
Expressway (I-87)? What is the name of this first exit? What is the name of
this service road (is it 135th Street)? OK, taking Lexington Ave south bound
is good advice, much thanks.