how to drive from Bronx to Manhattan First Avenue

Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:40 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Jimmy

Default how to drive from Bronx to Manhattan First Avenue

"ArbH" wrote:
Thank you Jimmy. I check Google Map. I go from Bruckner Expressway I-278 to
the end (stay in the middle lane or right?) to get onto the Deegan
Expressway (I-87)?

You can take the I-87 exit from the middle lane or the right lane.

What is the name of this first exit? What is the name of
this service road (is it 135th Street)?

The exit sign might say Willis Avenue, and probably mentions the Third
Avenue Bridge. But it's definitely the first exit after the
transition from I-278 to I-87.

The name of the service road probably is E 135 St, but it really
doesn't matter. On a map or on the ground, it's easy to follow as the
road next to the elevated highway. And at that point, most cars are
heading to the Third Avenue Bridge.

Jimmy
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:19 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Sep 22, 9:36*pm, "ArbH" wrote:

Thank you Jimmy. I check Google Map. I go from Bruckner Expressway I-278 to
the end (stay in the middle lane or right?) to get onto the Deegan
Expressway (I-87)? What is the name of this first exit? What is the name of
this service road (is it 135th Street)? OK, taking Lexington Ave south bound
is good advice, much thanks.- Hide quoted text -

The misc.transport.road newsgroup may be a better source for your
questions.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:59 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Mark Brader:
Amtrak is less frequent and I'd expect
even the cheapest trip to cost quite a lot more than $28, ...

John Levine:
The cheapest Amtrak round trip fare is a ridiculous $68.

There, see?

It doesn't make sense to use Amtrak for such a short trip.

That's your opinion. Maybe someone else would like to see what the
trains are like, or whatever. In any case, if they don't want to
use Amtrak, they still need to be aware of it so they know to buy
a Metro-North ticket.

I gather you've never experienced the Bar Car [on Metro-North]...

You're right, I did not know they had that.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Could you guys please stop agreeing?

Old September 25th, 2009, 10:30 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-09-21 17:41:35 -0400, John Levine said:

We are Californian on New England vacation next month.
How do I drive from Bronx 278 Buckner Expressway south bound to Park Avenue
in Manhattan? Actually, I will br drive from New Heaven, Connecticut.

You're really better off taking the train from New Haven to Grand
Central Terminal which is on Park Ave in the middle of New York. The
round trip offpeak fare is $28, less than what you'd pay just to park
in Manhattan, not to mention the bridge and thruway tolls. If you've
never driven in NYC traffic, you won't enjoy it as your GPS keeps
telling you to make turns that the traffic won't permit.

Trains go at least hourly all day, more often at busy times.

See http://mta.info/mnr/html/planning/sc.../schedules.htm for
New Haven line schedules.

There are two people traveling.

Thats $56 for the both of them.

Better to drive.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old September 25th, 2009, 10:49 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Ken Blake

On 2009-09-21 17:41:35 -0400, John Levine said:

We are Californian on New England vacation next month.
How do I drive from Bronx 278 Buckner Expressway south bound to Park Avenue
in Manhattan? Actually, I will br drive from New Heaven, Connecticut.

You're really better off taking the train from New Haven to Grand
Central Terminal which is on Park Ave in the middle of New York. The
round trip offpeak fare is $28, less than what you'd pay just to park
in Manhattan, not to mention the bridge and thruway tolls. If you've
never driven in NYC traffic, you won't enjoy it as your GPS keeps
telling you to make turns that the traffic won't permit.

Trains go at least hourly all day, more often at busy times.

See http://mta.info/mnr/html/planning/sc.../schedules.htm for
New Haven line schedules.

There are two people traveling.

Thats $56 for the both of them.

Better to drive.

I don't know the exact costs for driving, but here are some
approximations:

Tolls: $15
Parking: $20
160 miles RT $40
(at .25 per mile)
___

Total: $75

$75 (and my guess is that's on the low side) is more than $56.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old September 26th, 2009, 01:16 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-09-25 17:49:59 -0400, Ken Blake

On 2009-09-21 17:41:35 -0400, John Levine said:

[...]

Thats fair.

But...there is added value of not having to burn time time and the
expense for transportation to and from the train, and having to wait
for the train.

If there is/are a third or fourth person involved, the decison is a
no-brainer.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old September 26th, 2009, 01:39 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Ken Blake

On 2009-09-25 17:49:59 -0400, Ken Blake

On 2009-09-21 17:41:35 -0400, John Levine said:

[...]

Your choice, of course. I wasn't trying to tell what you should do. I
was simply pointing out that the economic justification for driving
wasn't correct.

Old September 26th, 2009, 02:19 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
ArbH

"Ken Blake" wrote in message
Your choice, of course. I wasn't trying to tell what you should do. I
was simply pointing out that the economic justification for driving
wasn't correct.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Actually, we are driving from Boston, sight seeing on SR 169, stop over at
Hartford, then on to Manhattan. We have a business meeting in Hartford that
morning.

Old September 26th, 2009, 09:16 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-09-25 20:39:53 -0400, Ken Blake

On 2009-09-25 17:49:59 -0400, Ken Blake

On 2009-09-21 17:41:35 -0400, John Levine said:

[...]

Don't get me wrong, I love a nice train ride up the Hudson or out to
Montauk, but there is the added value of being able to control your
environment and company while driving that just aren't possible on the
train.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old September 26th, 2009, 09:49 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Sep 26, 4:16*pm, Slim wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I love a nice train ride up the Hudson or out to
Montauk, but *there is the added value of being able to control your
environment and company while driving that just aren't possible on the
train.

Actually, one has MORE control when taking the train as compared to
driving in congested areas. I've driven that route and it is often
JAMMED with traffic.

Motorists sitting in a traffic jam have NO "control over their
environment". They can not stand up and stretch. They can not pee.
They can not take a nap. They can not cease staring at the tail
lights in front of them less traffic begin to move. They have to
breath fumes from all the other stuck cars. They have to listen to
screaming motorists and horns.

Admittedly in the really bad traffic jams people get out and start up
card games. But even you are not "controlling your company", your
card partners are whoever happens to be handy.

Further, even when traffic in that area is moving, drivers are very
aggressive. Volume is high. There is a "competition" going on over
who exits first. Driving there is not for the faint of heart or ill
tempered. It is not relaxing.