Route 66

Old October 26th, 2009, 03:36 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ad absurdum per aspera[_2_]

Default Route 66

Yep. *The original posting said 2-3 weeks. *That's doable, but there's
plenty more to see if you can take more time over it.

I'd agree that 2 weeks is reasonable though 3 would be better. LA to
New York via Chicago would be, what, a bit over 3000 miles (about
5000 km)? That requires an average of only 150 miles made good each
day in a three-week vacation, leaving plenty of time to take detours
and poke around the attractions. The amount of time that *could* be
spent is open ended, of course.

Another possibility (unless driving the US from end to end is part of
the mystique to the original poster... or the airline makes that the
best deal) is to call it quits at the actual end of 66 in Chicago this
time, then come back another year for the Chicago-NYC bit (maybe
timed for when the leaves turn color in the fall).

The original poster should also note, as I believe others here have
mentioned, that the still driveable long segments of Route 66 are
not up to modern standard in width and layout and access control, and
sometimes get the short end of the maintenance budget as well. Drive
alertly and at period-authentic speeds, rather than as you would on a
modern Interstate. (All the better to soak up the atmosphere, stop to
take pictures, etc.)

--Joe

Old October 26th, 2009, 05:08 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Stefan Patric[_2_]

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:17:02 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

I am aware of the cold weather and intend to travel in
August/September to avoid it.

Consider whether September/October would do ...

I recommend mid to late April to late May for such a trip.

Note also that the farther you get from the summer equinox, which is
about June 21, the less daylight you get each day. And the farther you

I think you meant solstice. In summer, that would be the longest day of
the year. The equinoxes occur in March and September: Equal day and
night.

Stef
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:58 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Mark Brader:
Note also that the farther you get from the summer equinox...

Stefan Patric:
I think you meant solstice.

Urk -- I certainly did. Thanks.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Remember the Golgafrinchans"
-- Pete Granger
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Steve/Aus

"Mark Brader" wrote in message
Mark Brader:
Note also that the farther you get from the summer equinox...

Stefan Patric:
I think you meant solstice.

Urk -- I certainly did. Thanks.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Remember the Golgafrinchans"
-- Pete Granger

Again, I thank all for the input.
I have saved them all for future reference.
There is a lot on Google about Route 66 but it is time consuming sorting the
few sites of value from bulk of sites which have no value at all.
Steve W (in Aus)