Changing trains at Milan Central

Old March 28th, 2007, 12:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sudhir Ahuja

Default Changing trains at Milan Central

I am taking train from Rome to Milan and 25 minutes later another one
from Milan to Zurich.

I am a little concerned about changing trains at Milan in 25 minutes
since I do not know the train station layout, platforms etc.. where one
train comes in and the other takes off from. Is 25 minutes sufficient
time for a first timer??

Thanks for your help/comments/suggestions if you are familiar with Milan
Station.
Old March 28th, 2007, 01:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Anderson

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:51:55 GMT, Sudhir Ahuja
wrote:

I am taking train from Rome to Milan and 25 minutes later another one
from Milan to Zurich.

I am a little concerned about changing trains at Milan in 25 minutes
since I do not know the train station layout, platforms etc.. where one
train comes in and the other takes off from. Is 25 minutes sufficient
time for a first timer??

Thanks for your help/comments/suggestions if you are familiar with Milan
Station.

Layout is easy enough....as the station is a terminus, you get off one
train, look along the concourse for the departure indicator which
shows the platform your connection leaves from, and hop on your next
train.

Hope the Rome train's on time, that's all !

Pic of the departure board he

http://www.skateboardeurope.com/port...oCentrale1.jpg

Keith, Bristol, UK
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"Sudhir Ahuja" skrev i meddelandet
I am taking train from Rome to Milan and 25 minutes later another one from
Milan to Zurich.

I am a little concerned about changing trains at Milan in 25 minutes since
I do not know the train station layout, platforms etc.. where one train
comes in and the other takes off from. Is 25 minutes sufficient time for
a first timer??

Thanks for your help/comments/suggestions if you are familiar with Milan
Station.

---------
I've done a connection in Milan in about a minute once so 25min is an
eternity.
However if your train happens to be very late you should try to be in the
front of the train , once off the train just look at the monitors for the
Zürich train and find the right track.

Old March 28th, 2007, 04:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Lennart Petersen" kirjoitti

"Sudhir Ahuja" skrev i meddelandet
I am taking train from Rome to Milan and 25 minutes later another one from
Milan to Zurich.

I am a little concerned about changing trains at Milan in 25 minutes
since I do not know the train station layout, platforms etc.. where one
train comes in and the other takes off from. Is 25 minutes sufficient
time for a first timer??

Thanks for your help/comments/suggestions if you are familiar with Milan
Station.

---------
I've done a connection in Milan in about a minute once so 25min is an
eternity.
However if your train happens to be very late you should try to be in the
front of the train , once off the train just look at the monitors for the
Zürich train and find the right track.

At the Heathrow airport the deadline for check in for the European flights
was 25 minutes a couple of decades ago........ Once I had to test this on
one Saturday morning in 1980's. No, it wasn't a quiet day but the terminal
building was packed by swarming travellers. When this appeared to me at the
door, I was convinced I shall not make it in time. Fortunately I was wrong:
a helpful member of the airport staff escorted to the front of one of the
queues to clear myself to the flight.

Old March 28th, 2007, 06:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ALAN HARRISON[_2_]

"Sudhir Ahuja" wrote in message
I am taking train from Rome to Milan and 25 minutes later another one from
Milan to Zurich.

I am a little concerned about changing trains at Milan in 25 minutes since
I do not know the train station layout, platforms etc.. where one train
comes in and the other takes off from. Is 25 minutes sufficient time for
a first timer??

There is no problem with the layout of the station.

However, 25 minutes is risky. The station is large, and if your train is
even moderately late, you may miss your connection, especially if you arrive
on platform 1 and leave from platform 21.

Also, a note of caution about an earlier poster's advice to sit at the front
of the train. If your train from Rome calls at Florence Santa Maria Novella,
it will reverse there, and so you would need to sit at the back in Rome in
order to be at the front between Florence and Milan. Note also that most
long-distance trains wil have first class carriages at one end.

Alan Harrison

Old March 28th, 2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"Markku Grönroos" skrev i meddelandet
news

[...]

But you can't compare airport connections exactly with rail connections
where you're more or less likely to do the connection once there's a time
difference.
However if it's now a matter of records I've done an airport connection
through Sandefjord (Oslo) in 5 min incl security , while I've done a rail
connection in less than zero (!) , it's possible if you jump off before stop
and jump on the connecting while running. I'm not recommending that
however as it's a risk and I'm convinced I'm not repeating a such
adventure.

Old March 28th, 2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"Markku Grönroos" skrev i meddelandet
. fi...

"Lennart Petersen" kirjoitti

But you can't compare airport connections exactly with rail connections
where you're more or less likely to do the connection once there's a
time difference.

I don't follow.

Once there's a time difference (arrival-departure) you're more or less
likely to do the connection. More likely if a small station and connecting
to the adjacent platform, slightly´less if a big station and you've to move
a lot....

Old March 28th, 2007, 10:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:32:46 GMT,
"Lennart Petersen" has scripted:

"Sudhir Ahuja" skrev i meddelandet
I am taking train from Rome to Milan and 25 minutes later another one from
Milan to Zurich.

I am a little concerned about changing trains at Milan in 25 minutes since
I do not know the train station layout, platforms etc.. where one train
comes in and the other takes off from. Is 25 minutes sufficient time for
a first timer??

Thanks for your help/comments/suggestions if you are familiar with Milan
Station.

---------
I've done a connection in Milan in about a minute once so 25min is an
eternity.

Last Sunday we managed to make a 4:20pm train, where it was stamped
4:23 on the validation of the ticket.

The problem is the crowds on the platform, that I inevitably find
myself swearing at for their stupidity for being in my way.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Deeply Filled Mortician

Make credence recognised that on Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:35:13 +0100,
"ALAN HARRISON" has
scripted:

"Sudhir Ahuja" wrote in message
I am taking train from Rome to Milan and 25 minutes later another one from
Milan to Zurich.

I am a little concerned about changing trains at Milan in 25 minutes since
I do not know the train station layout, platforms etc.. where one train
comes in and the other takes off from. Is 25 minutes sufficient time for
a first timer??

There is no problem with the layout of the station.

However, 25 minutes is risky. The station is large, and if your train is
even moderately late, you may miss your connection, especially if you arrive
on platform 1 and leave from platform 21.

Are you kidding? Sure, if the train is 23 minutes late, it will be a
squeeze, but it's more likely to be either on time, or 55 minutes
late.

Just go, and if it's really late, take the next train.
--
---