advice please - is there any Italian town not ruined by graffiti?

Old June 15th, 2007, 01:12 PM posted to soc.culture.italian,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default advice please - is there any Italian town not ruined by graffiti?

I've just returned from a trip to Italy and was shocked at the amount
of mindless spraycan graffiti that defaced some of its loveliest towns
and cities. How could *anyone*, no matter how moronic, contemplate
doing such a thing to Rome, or Pisa, or Florence?

One of the great joys of life has always been to wander round the
narrow streets of a medieval Italian town or city and marvel at the
lovely faded ochre of the walls. But a few seconds of mindless
vandalism, and all that's ruined. And it's ruined for years, because
clearly, these walls have taken years, decades even, to mellow down to
than lovely hue. Any attempt to paint over the graffiti just stands
out like a sore thumb, as it's impossible to match the original shade.

I just cannot understand how the inheritors of perhaps the greatest
artistic heritage in the Western World can behave like this. Walking
around these streets, I really felt as if someone had gone into one of
the World's greatest art galleries and slashed every painting he could
find there.

So now I'm faced with a dilemma. I'd really love to return to Italy,
as I've always felt it to be by far the loveliest country, in terms of
architecture, that I've ever seen. But I just don't see the point, if
it means being alternately depressed and in a rage, as I was for most
of this holiday.

So I'd like to ask: are there any historic towns or cities left in
Italy that have so far escaped this desecration? Perhaps small hill-
towns or villages where the community spirit and local pride has
prevented this sort of thing?

I'd really hate to write off Italy as a destination - it's always been
one of life's greatest joys for me.

Old June 15th, 2007, 01:14 PM posted to soc.culture.italian,rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

kirjoitti
glegroups.com...
I've just returned from a trip to Italy and was shocked at the amount
of mindless spraycan graffiti that defaced some of its loveliest towns
and cities. How could *anyone*, no matter how moronic, contemplate
doing such a thing to Rome, or Pisa, or Florence?

Well, there are lots of anglo homosexuals who poo poo to rte.

Old June 15th, 2007, 02:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_31_]

Magda wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:14:16 +0300, in rec.travel.europe, Markku Grönroos
arranged some electrons, so they looked like

this:

... kirjoitti
... glegroups.com...
... I've just returned from a trip to Italy and was shocked at the

amount
... of mindless spraycan graffiti that defaced some of its loveliest

towns
... and cities. How could *anyone*, no matter how moronic, contemplate
... doing such a thing to Rome, or Pisa, or Florence?
... Well, there are lots of anglo homosexuals who poo poo to rte.

I so wish you could find a nice boyfriend...!

Markku the Grim should hook up with Jacqueloon, there might be heterosexual
hope for him yet...

--
Best
Greg

Old June 15th, 2007, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:10:09 GMT, nospam wrote:

wrote:
I've just returned from a trip to Italy and was shocked at the amount
of mindless spraycan graffiti that defaced some of its loveliest towns
and cities. How could *anyone*, no matter how moronic, contemplate
doing such a thing to Rome, or Pisa, or Florence?

Not to excuse the graffiti, which I also hate, but it's not as bad in
Italy as in some other European countries.

I live in a small Italian hill town in Le Marche. Here, I have only
ever seen two graffiti. In fact in Le Marche there seems to not be a
lot of graffiti. However, I wouldn't want to recommend a particular
town, because one night's vandalism could make a liar of me.

The kids who do this don't give a damn about artistic heritage and the
more destructive their actions are, the more pleasurable to them.
They're the same kids who get a charge out of riding their motor
scooters through the narrow cobblestoned streets of our town and
gunning the engines to annoy as many people as possible.

I was equally disappointed on the amount of graffiti on my trip. This is
a problem in many parts of the world today. I don't know what goes
through someone's mind when they mark any surface let alone these
wonderful old structures.

I would love to catch one of these freaks. I'd paint them head to toe
with their own spray paint and take them home to mommy to have them
explain why they are covered in paint.

I did notice that some of the smaller towns don't have the problem.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:04 PM posted to soc.culture.italian,rec.travel.europe
Zubenelgenubi

On 15 juin, 14:14, Markku Grönroos wrote:
kirjoitti
glegroups.com... I've just returned from a trip to Italy and was shocked at the amount
of mindless spraycan graffiti that defaced some of its loveliest towns
and cities. How could *anyone*, no matter how moronic, contemplate
doing such a thing to Rome, or Pisa, or Florence?

Well, there are lots of anglo homosexuals who poo poo to rte.

Revenge of the Muslims, get rid of the rag heads; problem solved