The Euro at $1.55

Old March 16th, 2008, 12:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mxsmanic

Default The Euro at $1.55

Señor Castro writes:

or just work from home......although I'm thinking about starting a
Donkey hire company....

Telecommuting would solve a lot of problems. But people and companies are
very slow to adopt it, and not all types of work can be done from a distance.
And when it is possible, companies tend to hire cheap labor abroad, rather
than local workforces.
Old March 16th, 2008, 01:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dusty Furtile Morrocan

On the particular moment of Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:29:39 +0100 in
relation to Mary's disappointingly immaculate rumpy pumpy, Mxsmanic
put forth:

Señor Castro writes:

or just work from home......although I'm thinking about starting a
Donkey hire company....

Telecommuting would solve a lot of problems. But people and companies are
very slow to adopt it, and not all types of work can be done from a distance.
And when it is possible, companies tend to hire cheap labor abroad, rather
than local workforces.

Telecommuting sucks though. I've done it, and hate it. It means your
work life and home life are not separated, which causes all sorts of
problems. Also, there are many times when it's just better to speak
with colleagues in people, especially when you need to discuss or
explain something.

An interesting idea, but I can't see it ever catching on.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Mxsmanic
says...

Not unless someone can find a more energy-dense method of storing electrical
power than lead batteries. When you have to spend two hours driving 80 km to
work, a car that needs a recharge after 50 km isn't going to do the job.

I only drive 5km to the effice. The battery of a typical electric car
with a 100Km range would last for one week.

Hint: nobody is forcing you to live 200km away from office.
--

Alfred Molon
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Dusty Furtile
Morrocan says...

Telecommuting sucks though. I've done it, and hate it. It means your
work life and home life are not separated, which causes all sorts of
problems. Also, there are many times when it's just better to speak
with colleagues in people, especially when you need to discuss or
explain something.

I tried it and the only problem I found is that the access to the
company network is very slow, even if I have 3MBit/s DSL at home.
--

Alfred Molon
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) writes:

No one is going to walk anywhere AT ALL in Phoenix summer weather!

That's another problem with Phoenix. The city has long been popular with
retirees who don't often leave home, but for anyone who wants to be out
and
about most of the time, the summer weather is a killer (sometimes in a
literal
sense).

So in Delhi, where it's much hotter, people ride pedal cycles to commit
suicide?

Silly man.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old March 16th, 2008, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Señor Castro writes:

or just work from home......although I'm thinking about starting a
Donkey hire company....

Telecommuting would solve a lot of problems. But people and companies are
very slow to adopt it, and not all types of work can be done from a
distance.
And when it is possible, companies tend to hire cheap labor abroad, rather
than local workforces.

And the problem with this is what exactly?

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old March 16th, 2008, 02:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Señor Castro

Señor Castro writes:

[...]

2-3 days a week is fine
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

William Black wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) writes:

No one is going to walk anywhere AT ALL in Phoenix summer weather!

That's another problem with Phoenix. The city has long been popular with
retirees who don't often leave home, but for anyone who wants to be out
and
about most of the time, the summer weather is a killer (sometimes in a
literal
sense).

So in Delhi, where it's much hotter, people ride pedal cycles to commit
suicide?

Silly man.

Remember that Mixi has, how can I say, a _special_ relationship with
"hot" weather.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate -www.davidhorne.net
(email address on website) "If people think God is interesting, the
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
William Black wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) writes:

No one is going to walk anywhere AT ALL in Phoenix summer weather!

That's another problem with Phoenix. The city has long been popular
with
retirees who don't often leave home, but for anyone who wants to be out
and
about most of the time, the summer weather is a killer (sometimes in a
literal
sense).

So in Delhi, where it's much hotter, people ride pedal cycles to commit
suicide?

Silly man.

Remember that Mixi has, how can I say, a _special_ relationship with
"hot" weather.

I don't understand.

You mean he doesn't like it?

Or he becomes even less sane when it's warm?

something I find hard to believe

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old March 16th, 2008, 03:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

William Black wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) writes:

No one is going to walk anywhere AT ALL in Phoenix summer weather!

That's another problem with Phoenix. The city has long been popular
with
retirees who don't often leave home, but for anyone who wants to be out
and
about most of the time, the summer weather is a killer (sometimes in a
literal
sense).

So in Delhi, where it's much hotter, people ride pedal cycles to commit
suicide?

Silly man.

Remember that Mixi has, how can I say, a _special_ relationship with
"hot" weather.

I don't understand.

You mean he doesn't like it?

Absolutely, and it colours many of his comments. For him, Paris may as
well be Delhi just before the monsoon's break.