nz camper van or hostels

Old October 27th, 2005, 05:12 PM
thornhillsontour thornhillsontour is offline
Member

Default nz camper van or hostels

hi were in nz with a flight into christchurch and out from auckland and were looking at camper vans this will be in feb/mar. has anyone done this if so how much was it and how did it go? our alternative is hostels, so any info on those would be great
cheers form the uk
Old October 27th, 2005, 11:15 PM
stevesub

You will find that a camper van will give you flexibility as to where
you stay - but at a cost for the van which is expensive and for the
fuel.

My preferred option is to get a rental car, buy some cheap cooking and
eating utensiles - even second hand and stay in motels or camping
ground cabins. Most Motels have cooking facilities and all cabins have
them. Cook your own meals, and also buy a Chillie Bin (New Zealand for
Esky). Ice is available almost anywhere so you can keep food chilled.

At that time of year, you should not need to book accomadation in
advance. The first motel you stay in will have free guides (Jasons or
AA) for most motels in the country. Pinch both guides if you can, they
are very useful.

You will find that the overall cost will be cheaper than a camper van.

Also see www.jasons.co.nz

Enjoy your stay

Stevesub

Old October 28th, 2005, 01:11 AM
A Mate

Personally we use a rental car from one of the second line companies -
they're good, but not new vehicles; well maintained and available with a/c
etc. Typically available for $35 to $40 NZD - including insurance and
unlimited km.

Motels in NZ always (except in Auckland, and some really high end
establishments) have fully equipped kitchens. We buy a cheap Esky on
arrival, and a couple of 'Freezit' blocks - at the first 'Warehouse' we come
to - and they're everywhere. Cost - from $50 NZD up per night per room.

Booking will be advisable for the South Island in February/March. They are
peak months. Usually a night or two ahead will do. Jasons or AA Guides are
good; but they neither of them list all options!

Good Luck!

"thornhillsontour" wrote in
message ...

--