North American Airports That Can Handle An A380?

Old April 22nd, 2005, 05:47 PM
Robert J Carpenter

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Dean S. Lautermilch®²ºº³ wrote:
Which North American airports could handle the A380? I've heard it

is
very few.

I don't think too many commercial passenger airports are

currently able
to and many will not be able to expand to handle it. Time will

tell.
Frankly I am not at all sure it is going to be a big seller, but I

have been
wrong before and I am sure I will again.

Most likely only about a half-dozen US airports will have service by
A380. These are the international gateways with lots of 747 service at
the moment. There is essentially no domestic USA 747 service, so
internal A380 flights don't look very likely to me.

The A380 seems to have been a bigger seller in the Middle and Far East
where distances are long and the window of convenient departure times
[to Europe] is short. Thus a bigger sardine can fits the market.

Old April 22nd, 2005, 08:40 PM
Ulf Kutzner

Robert J Carpenter schrieb:

Most likely only about a half-dozen US airports will have service by
A380. These are the international gateways with lots of 747 service at
the moment. There is essentially no domestic USA 747 service

At least there used to be until recently.

http://starbulletin.com/2003/07/08/business/story4.html
http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...9/daily24.html

Regards, ULF

Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:22 PM
Geoff Glave

"Dean S. Lautermilch?????" wrote:
Which North American airports could handle the A380? I've heard it is very
few.

YVR. This will be Canada's feed to the Far east. As a lot of
Asian carriers are buying the A380, this will help on their routes
to/from N. America and Asia.

YVR is frequently touted as a "gateway to Asia" and there is no
denying we have a number of flights to Asia, but it's hardly
overwhelming yet. Singapore doesn't even have daily service, nor does
Manila.

I don't think we'll see the 380 here for a loooong time. The Triple-7
was in service for years before we ever saw one here in scheduled
service.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada
Old April 23rd, 2005, 12:01 AM
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old April 23rd, 2005, 03:30 AM
Frank F. Matthews

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

Geoff Glave wrote:

"Dean S. Lautermilch?????" wrote:

Which North American airports could handle the A380? I've heard it is very
few.

YVR. This will be Canada's feed to the Far east. As a lot of
Asian carriers are buying the A380, this will help on their routes
to/from N. America and Asia.

YVR is frequently touted as a "gateway to Asia" and there is no
denying we have a number of flights to Asia, but it's hardly
overwhelming yet. Singapore doesn't even have daily service, nor does
Manila.

I don't think we'll see the 380 here for a loooong time. The Triple-7
was in service for years before we ever saw one here in scheduled
service.

The same could be said for Vegas, and it took SIA starting a
run from Singapore to Hong Kong to Vegas for that to happen, and it was
roughly 2 - 3 years after the 777 came into service. On that aspect,
Philippine Airways is currently has an A340 doing runs from
LAS-YVR-MNL. That run could be replaced easily with an A380. But with
the A380 coming in, you may get that service to SIA or HKG. Also, with
bringing in the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, You will definitely get
service from the A380.

Brad Littlejohn

I suppose that it might be interesting for a slightly interior airport
with some destination traffic to invest in 380 capability to try to
divert traffic from more crowded west coast airports.

Phoenix or even the emptying Denver airport might be possibilities.

Old April 23rd, 2005, 04:30 PM
Mel3k

But aren't airlines now avoiding US connections for
Europe-central/south America flights because of the new "security" and
visa/immigration requirements for transit passengers? Iberia shut down
thier Miami hub because of that, now flying directly from Spain to
central/south american destinations

Old April 23rd, 2005, 04:45 PM
Frank F. Matthews

That would be a sensible response. However, it is difficult for the
more northern bases. In addition it can leave you with a flight over
some pretty empty space.