This was a "First" for me.

Old June 9th, 2005, 05:49 PM
john

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 06:04:45 GMT, Brian K
wrote:

On 06/06/2005 1:05 AM john performed amanuensis:

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 04:33:20 GMT, Brian K
wrote:

On 06/05/2005 10:46 AM Dave Smith performed amanuensis:

alohacyberian wrote:

That was the point.. Why can't handicapped parking spaces be used if they
are the only ones available?

Because handicapped parking spaces are based on the belief that exercise is
bad for handicapped people? KM

I suppose you are thinking specifically of those who are in motorized scooters
because they have allowed their weight to exceed the ability of their body to
move it. A regular wheel chair would require some personal effort so they have
to be motorized. I occasionally wondered why people's doctors and insurance
companies arranged for motorized scooters for these people when a gym
membership would have been cheaper and more benefit in the long run (no pun
intended).

My father is 89. He has clarification in both of his legs. He can walk
about a block or so and then he cannot walk any further due to the
unbearable pain he gets in both legs. His vascular doctor has
encouraged him to walk a little further every month or so. It is
thought that in doing so, his legs will slowly build new pathways around
blocked blood vesicles in his legs. While he does this, the process is
slow going and any improvement is measured in inches rather than
blocks. Shopping in a mall, or cavernous outlet store would be
impossible without one of those motorized scooters. He simply can't
walk the distance.

The correct medical name for his condition is claudication not
clarification.

Tell that to my errant spellcheck. :-(

I don't see how you can blame spellcheck when you correctly spelled
"clarification".

Spellcheck isn't going to divine what you don't know.

Don't assume that because someone can walk a little that they may not
need mobility aids. We're talking about something called quality of
life here.

I have a friend called Dan. He was a passenger in a car wreck and came
out with spinal injury. He lives on pain killers, without which he
would be in constant pain. He is able to drive his own van with a wheel
chair lift. The Driver's portion has been specialized to fit him in his
electric scooter. All the controls for accelerator and break are in hand
controls by the steering wheel. He can walk in pain with the assistance
of a cane. But he can't walk very far, just maybe from his scooter to
his bed. (5 steps). At the local gym, he uses a special piece of
equipment called an Aquatread. It's a treadmill underwater. The water
provides buoyancy so he can get a cardiovascular workout. Despite
efforts at diet and exercise, Dan is overweight. So Dan is one of those
overweight guys you see in the supermarket with his scooter. If you
didn't know him, you might think that he's one of those scooter people
you talk about. It just goes to show, you shouldn't judge people by
appearances.

Old June 9th, 2005, 09:43 PM
oldfart

It is my reasonably well informed opinion that there is no enforcement
of the handicapped parking rules unless someone complains. At least
that is the case here in WA where I've been so informed by the authorities.
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Reef Fish

oldfart wrote:
It is my reasonably well informed opinion that there is no enforcement
of the handicapped parking rules unless someone complains. At least
that is the case here in WA where I've been so informed by the authorities.

oldfart,

It may be your reasonably informed opinion about what is done in WA,
but it is certainly not the case in locations where the budget of a
city depends on the revenue generated from parking tickets to a
non-negligible extent.

-- Bob.

Old June 10th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Well, I've listened to our Police Chief at work talk about it enough to
expect it to happen there at least. So the local JP should be expecting
some cases.

Old June 10th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Reef Fish wrote:

oldfart wrote:

It is my reasonably well informed opinion that there is no enforcement
of the handicapped parking rules unless someone complains. At least
that is the case here in WA where I've been so informed by the authorities.

oldfart,

It may be your reasonably informed opinion about what is done in WA,
but it is certainly not the case in locations where the budget of a
city depends on the revenue generated from parking tickets to a
non-negligible extent.

-- Bob.

I suspect that there are far more likely reasons. IN the case I know
the fines will go to the local county not the agency issuing the ticket.
I think it is more a dislike for the misuse. There are far easier
ways to generate traffic revenue. In any case, Texas limits the portion
of the total city revenue that can be raised from tickets.

Old June 10th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Bill McKee

"Reef Fish" wrote in message
oups.com...

oldfart wrote:
It is my reasonably well informed opinion that there is no enforcement
of the handicapped parking rules unless someone complains. At least
that is the case here in WA where I've been so informed by the
authorities.

oldfart,

It may be your reasonably informed opinion about what is done in WA,
but it is certainly not the case in locations where the budget of a
city depends on the revenue generated from parking tickets to a
non-negligible extent.

-- Bob.

In Glendale, CA they were very happy to come over and ticket the offending
vehicle at my daughters office. She called, they ticketed. Several times.
As my daughter is a therapist with handicapped children, a big % of her
clients needed that space. Besides, she hates jerk drivers.