Traveling and Finding Work in Scandinavia

Old May 10th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Kool Jammer

Default Traveling and Finding Work in Scandinavia

Hello everyone:

I am interested in traveling and finding work in Scandinavia so I can
prolong my stay, and, if I like it enough, maybe reside permanently.
I have recently gained EU citizenship and am about to finish a
Business Management curriculum at an American university. Countries I
am thinking about a Sweden, Finland, Norway, and maybe The
Netherlands (in that order). I understand, tho, before I look for a
job in a specific country, I should spend time learning the language
(which I plan to do).

What I was thinking of is saving some money in the U.S., and after
graduation packing up my stuff and heading to one of the above
countries and staying at a hostel or cheap place of residence while
looking for work (which the EU citizenship should allow). On the
other hand, I have heard that finding work in, say, Sweden is very
difficult, even for McDonald's type jobs. Would there be any kind of
lower-tier work most people dislike left for me, to at least perfect
my language skills or assist me in adapting to the country? I would
not mind working in a restaurant or doing some menial work until
eventually, whatever time it takes, I find a job in the field for
which I got an education.

I am sure some here might have some knowledge about these topics,
especially as they relate to Scandinavia, given that this forum is
very travel and budget oriented.

One possibility is finding work beforehand, but since that may be very
difficult, I am looking for the worst case scenario and to find out if
it is in fact true that there are no menial jobs in Scandinavia for
someone with an EU citizenship.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:52 AM
?ystein

(Kool Jammer) wrote in message om...
Hello everyone:

I am interested in traveling and finding work in Scandinavia so I can
prolong my stay, and, if I like it enough, maybe reside permanently.
I have recently gained EU citizenship and am about to finish a
Business Management curriculum at an American university. Countries I
am thinking about a Sweden, Finland, Norway, and maybe The
Netherlands (in that order). I understand, tho, before I look for a
job in a specific country, I should spend time learning the language
(which I plan to do).

You should alter you focus a bit. Swedish, Danish and Norwegian are
fairly alike, While Finnish is completly different (One of the few
Finn-Ugric languages in Europe) and Dutch is very different.

What I was thinking of is saving some money in the U.S., and after
graduation packing up my stuff and heading to one of the above
countries and staying at a hostel or cheap place of residence while
looking for work (which the EU citizenship should allow). On the
other hand, I have heard that finding work in, say, Sweden is very
difficult, even for McDonald's type jobs.

In Norway and Sweden the rules for puting up a tent in nature is very
liberal indeed. Not to much luxury of course, but as cheap as
possible

One possibility is finding work beforehand, but since that may be very
difficult

That is not very difficult. In Scandinavia most vacancies are put in
the papers and on websites for vacancies.
www.monster.no, www.finn.no,
www.stepstone.no and www.aetat.no are the best websites. Aftenposten
is the best paper for vacancies in Norway. To read the job
descriptions and apply, for of course normally have to read and write
the language, but that is no different if you go to say Norway first.

Tourist guiding in English and trainee / entry possitions in
multinationals can be an option for Native English speakers, if they
have the competence for that line of work.

best regards,

Jan
Old June 19th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Roos van den IJssel

the netherlands is NO Scandinavia!!!!!! i.m from the NL and I can assure
you: Scandinavia is more beautiful, also democratic and with loads of people
and little nature. So if I were you......
good luck!
"?ystein" schreef in bericht
om...