Taking Too Little Time Off!

Old May 13th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Taking Too Little Time Off!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from OfficeTeam and thought it would be
of interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are
available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

What I Didn't Do on My Summer Vacation ... Survey Shows Taking Too
Little Time Off Is Workers' Biggest Vacation Mistake

MENLO PARK, Calif., May 13
Employees planning personal travel this summer may want to tack on a
few extra days, a new survey suggests. Forty-three percent of workers
polled said the biggest mistake they made with their last vacation was
taking insufficient time off.
The survey was developed by OfficeTeam, a leading staffing service
specializing in highly skilled administrative professionals. It was
conducted by an independent research firm and includes responses from
571 men and women, all 18 years of age or older and employed.

Survey respondents were asked, "Which one of the following was the
biggest mistake you made when you took your last vacation from work?"
Their responses:

Didn't take enough time off 43%
Couldn't relax or get your mind
off work 17%
Checked in with the office too much 8%
Didn't prepare or organize your
work well prior to leaving 7%
Something else/none of the above 23%
Don't know/no answer 2%
100%

"Employees fearful of falling behind on projects or not seeming like
team players often put off vacations or limit breaks to long
weekends," said Diane Domeyer, executive director of OfficeTeam. "Lean
staffing levels in recent years have left many professionals with
increased pressure at work, but this makes the need to recharge more
vital than ever."

Domeyer notes that collaborating with coworkers can help staff members
rest easy while away. "Inform colleagues of the status of key projects
before you leave and designate a point person in your absence. Also,
consider which tasks a temporary or project professional could
assume."

Domeyer offered these tips for getting the most benefit from your
vacations:

-- Use history as your guide. Consider your last vacation,
including what
you did, how much time you took and whether or not you felt
reinvigorated on your return. This experience should serve as
a basis
for planning your next break.
-- Resist the urge to check in. Change your voicemail and e-mail
to let
colleagues know you're away. Don't contact the office unless
it is
necessary. The more connected to work you are, the less time
you have
to unwind.
-- Avoid scheduling too many meetings for the day you return.
You'll need
time to address immediate issues, catch up on e-mail and get
updates
from coworkers on the status of projects.
-- Seize the day. Don't wait until you're in dire need of a
vacation to
take one; regular breaks can keep you motivated all year long.

OfficeTeam has more than 300 locations worldwide and offers online job
search services at www.officeteam.com.

Old May 14th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Cruising Chrissy

On Thu, 13 May 2004 07:06:52 -0700, Ray Goldenberg
wrote:

What I Didn't Do on My Summer Vacation ... Survey Shows Taking Too
Little Time Off Is Workers' Biggest Vacation Mistake

SPAMADVERTISING AT ITS BEST.
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:51 PM
RICK DAVIS

I thought last year it was reported that more people were taking shorter
vacations (3-5 days) but more of them. Does this mean more poeple
should now take longer trips (7+ days)?
I take as many (for as long ) as I can get away with. I'll be a team
player until it comes to my vacation....then its me me me!!