Nice to Miramas Daytrip

Old June 16th, 2005, 07:26 AM
John

Default Nice to Miramas Daytrip

We are going to be staying in Nice, but would like to see the start of Stage
13 of Tour de France in Miramas.
There seems to be regular train service so getting there and back to Nice
should not be a problem.
Once we arrive in Miramas and see the race start, is there much else to see
or do in Miramas? If not, then how about a city partway back to Nice?
Is it a very scenic train ride?

Old June 16th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Mark Fagan

I can't find much about it, except there are medieval walls.
www.viamichelin.com only lists attractions in nearby locations, such as
Istres and Salon-de-Provence. You aren't far from Arles and Les Beaux but
you should realise that on a Tour de France day, traffic will be murder.
The race route will be closed as much as 24 hours in advanced. Spectators
will be flooding in. Even getting there by train on the day of the race,
unless you have a reserved seat, may be difficult or impossible. It's not
unknown for people to camp out a week in advance at popular spots for
viewing the race.

news

Old June 16th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Lee BARRASS

I've never been to Miramas so cannot comment, but there's a whole host of
places to visit between Miramas and Nice.

My advice to you you though is to set off early. The caravan sets off at
1130 and depending on where you are standing, you may need to be there well
before then to get a good place.

There are two trains to get you there for roughly that time - the first
leaves Nice at 0604 and arrives in Miramas at 0924, the next leaves at 0723
and arrives at 1140 with a change in Marseille (this may be too late).

Are you available the day before? This is Fete Nationale (Bastille Day).
The stage finishes in Digne-les-Bains and you can get there via the scenic
Chemins de fer de Provence (http://www.trainprovence.com/). The TdF website
says the riders should all be over the line by 1655 - the last train back to
Nice is 1725. This will get you back in time for all the Bastille Day
celebrations in Nice (including the firework display over the Bai des
Anges.)

Let me know how you get on!

Lee.
http://lee.fpic.co.uk

news

Old June 16th, 2005, 06:14 PM
John

"Lee BARRASS" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Yes, though about Digne-les-Bains , but I am concerned that the stage
ending at 16:55 and the training leaving at 17:25 is cutting it close and we
could end up stranded with no place to stay if we miss it.
I don't now the layout of Digne-les-Bains and how far away from the train
station we would be to watch the arrival of the riders. I would need to be
sure that we could get to the train station in time to catch the train out.
Otherwise, Digne-les-Bains really does sound much more appealing since it
seems Miramas has little of interest. Web searches on Miramas return
nothing much.

The other concern with Digne-les-Bains is that we would need to get there
from Lyon early enough in the day on Bastille Day to find a spot to take
photos and train service from Lyon is scarce that day.

news

Old June 16th, 2005, 10:11 PM
JuanElorza

John a écrit :
[...]

A map of Dignes, station : avenue de Verdun
http://www4.mappy.com/sidkR8HLakMwBv...x=19&img.y=251

news

Old June 16th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Lee BARRASS

The other concern with Digne-les-Bains is that we would need to get

there
from Lyon early enough in the day on Bastille Day to find a spot to take
photos and train service from Lyon is scarce that day.

A map of Dignes, station : avenue de Verdun

http://www4.mappy.com/sidkR8HLakMwBv...x=19&img.y=251

And the race finshes on 'Front de Bleone' which looks to be about 1.5 km.

I'm going to see the stage finish and start in Blois - I can do this in a 2
1/2 day trip from the UK!

Old June 16th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Lee BARRASS

The other concern with Digne-les-Bains is that we would need to get

there
from Lyon early enough in the day on Bastille Day to find a spot to take
photos and train service from Lyon is scarce that day.

A map of Dignes, station : avenue de Verdun

http://www4.mappy.com/sidkR8HLakMwBv...x=19&img.y=251

And the race finshes on 'Front de Bleone' which looks to be about 1.5 km.

I'm going to see the stage finish and start in Tours - I can do this in a 2
1/2 day trip from the UK!

Old June 16th, 2005, 11:59 PM
John

"Lee BARRASS" wrote in message
news:%hnse.51617 A map of Dignes, station : avenue de Verdun

http://www4.mappy.com/sidkR8HLakMwBv...x=19&img.y=251

And the race finshes on 'Front de Bleone' which looks to be about 1.5 km.

I'm going to see the stage finish and start in Tours - I can do this in a
2
1/2 day trip from the UK!

1.5km is probably too far to walk in a crowded town in time to the catch the
17:25 train before it boards.