GPS Car

Old June 16th, 2005, 05:42 PM
jcoulter

"Mark Fagan" wrote in
:

alt.satellite.gps is the place to go. and I believe that there is a
separate Tom Tom for Europe as there is destinator.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old June 16th, 2005, 09:53 PM
poldy

In article ,
"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:

Auto Europe offers a system for $100/week plus an additional $30/week
for countries beyond the first. Expansive but available.

You could buy a cheap US system for $400 or so and add on the extra maps
for your trip. It wouldn't have the right base maps but if you added
the detailed maps that should be OK.

Again expensive but you would have an US system as well then.

Didn't the EU put up some satellite network for their own counterpart to
the GPS?

Do those navigation systems show all points of interests or just
restaurants, gas stations and the like?

It seems at least in the US market, European cars are known for having
poor nav systems compared to the Japanese cars.
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:46 AM
pltrgyst

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:47:41 -0400, "Mark Fagan" wrote:

Microsoft (through Costco) sells a very inexpensive unit that plugs into
your notebook's USB port. If you're going to take it anyway, and don't mind
the clumsiness of using a notebook while driving, it is a possibility.
However, I believe they use TomTom again, so that leaves out Europe, unless
Microsoft has another source for the maps and database there.

Microsoft's USB GPS works with both Streets and Trips for the US and Autoroute
for Europe. We've been using both for about eight years. Nothing clumsy about it
if you have another person for a navigator.

The same two sw packages also work just fine with the Earthmate and Deluo GPS
units.

-- Larry