drugs, India and Malaria

Old August 8th, 2008, 08:13 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
john hamilton

Default drugs, India and Malaria

Leaving the U.K. in october for a visit of a few weeks to India. That's
Dehli then on to Agra with some random stops before reaching Mumbai and then
on to Goa.

Should we use the anti-malarial drugs for travel to these areas, would you
say?

Since quite serious adverse reactions are sometimes known with these drugs.
If we are careful with hygiene should we also take any other precautions
health- drug wise? We don't want to be propping up drug producing companies
unecessarily.

Old August 8th, 2008, 09:12 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
William Black

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Leaving the U.K. in october for a visit of a few weeks to India. That's
Dehli then on to Agra with some random stops before reaching Mumbai and
then
on to Goa.

Should we use the anti-malarial drugs for travel to these areas, would you
say?

Since quite serious adverse reactions are sometimes known with these
drugs.
If we are careful with hygiene should we also take any other precautions
health- drug wise? We don't want to be propping up drug producing
companies
unecessarily.

If you're in the UK then the free travel advisory service run by the NHS
should advise you.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 8th, 2008, 10:53 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
A Mate[_2_]

As far as Malaria goes - hygiene is irrelevant!

October - Delhi to Agra etc - no risk at all!

Goa - very small risk.

Check this site out:- http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/asia.htm#1stc

In summary - there is risk around Goa.

My personal recommendation - take doxycycline - 1x100mg tablet daily from
the day before you arrive there to 4 weeks after leaving. Buy your doxy in
India - just cents per tablet. Classy brand name ( if you're averse to
generics) Vibramyacin.

Side effects etc:-
Unsuitable for children under about 10 (can stain growing tooth enamel).

3% of punters develop increased sun sensitivity (work around - sun screen!)

Reflux (workaround - take with food; do not lie down for 30 minutes after
taking)

Vaginal yeast problems (workaround - wear pure cotton underwear and change
daily)

Personal recommendation - it's the only antimalarial my family and I ever
use - and we've used it in Myanmar, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Sri
Lanka - no side effects - no Malaria.

Cheers

Old August 8th, 2008, 12:41 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 08:13:50 +0100, "john hamilton"
wrote:

Leaving the U.K. in october for a visit of a few weeks to India. That's
Dehli then on to Agra with some random stops before reaching Mumbai and then
on to Goa.

Should we use the anti-malarial drugs for travel to these areas, would you
say?

Since quite serious adverse reactions are sometimes known with these drugs.
If we are careful with hygiene should we also take any other precautions
health- drug wise? We don't want to be propping up drug producing companies
unecessarily.

I agree with William. However, while I did use Malarone for
my first few days in India in March and I also applied 80%
DEET I never saw or heard a mosquito while touring
Delhi-Agra-Jaipur.

That's not to say they weren't there - maybe I'm getting
blind and hard of hearing:-)

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/