Nice hotel in Helsinki for nice price?

Old October 8th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Jens Jakob Andersen

Default Nice hotel in Helsinki for nice price?

Hi

I need recommandation for a nice hotel in Helsinki at a nice weekend
rate for a weekend in november.

I know the Scandin Simonkenta, and am tempted. I also know the Helka,
but I think the rooms are too small...

What do you suggest?

best regards

Jens Jakob
Old October 8th, 2003, 10:18 PM
Hatunen

On 8 Oct 2003 22:02:07 GMT, Heikki Kantola wrote:

Jens Jakob Andersen informed
rec.travel.europe with the following:
I need recommandation for a nice hotel in Helsinki at a nice weekend
rate for a weekend in november.

I know the Scandin Simonkenta, and am tempted. I also know the Helka,
but I think the rooms are too small...

What do you suggest?

I am certainly not the best possible person to suggest a hotel in
Helsinki as my last hotel visit¹ here was something like 12 years ago,
but I noticed that URL:http://www.helsinkiexpert.fi/document.asp?
intSiteID=2&intDocID=276 offers quite good tables for hotel prices and
facility to book a hotel room.

¹ If you insist to know, it was Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, which if my memory
serves correctly had quite nice facities and at least it still has the
very central location opposite of Helsinki main railway station.

Is that westerly of the train station across the plaza and across
from the post office? Then it has a very good location indeed,
being only a few steps from the Metro, the trains, the airport
shuttle run by Finnair, and all the tram lines that pass by on
Mannerheimtie and by the railroad station.

Old October 8th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Hatunen

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 23:15:09 +0100,
wrote:

[...]

In a slightly related issue, I'll be passing through Helsinki airport
the week before Christmas and unfortunately have about 8 hours (8.30
am to 17.00 pm) between my incoming domestic flight from Lapland, and
my onward connection to London. Is there anything I can do,
particularly either at the airport, or nearby, to keep a 7 year old
child entertained for that long?

Not near the airport. But you might take the Finnair shuttle to
downtown Helskinki and then go underground to all the shops, or
even find your way over to the harbor head where the outdoor
market operates year-round.

Old October 8th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Heikki Kantola

--
Heikki "Hezu" Kantola,
Lähettämällä mainoksia tai muuta asiatonta sähköpostia yllä olevaan

Old October 8th, 2003, 11:45 PM
Hatunen

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 23:48:37 +0100,
wrote:

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:32:45 -0600, Hatunen wrote:

Not near the airport. But you might take the Finnair shuttle to
downtown Helskinki and then go underground to all the shops, or
even find your way over to the harbor head where the outdoor
market operates year-round.

Can I leave the luggage somewhere, (he asked, expecting the answer
"no") or do I have to take it downtown with me?. And how far is it?

I'm not sure if the airport has lockers or not, but I know the
main train station, about 40 meters from the Finnair shuttle stop
in town, does.

Old October 8th, 2003, 11:48 PM
bigbrian

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your reply

Brian
Old October 9th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Heikki Kantola

bigbrian informed
rec.travel.europe with the following:
In a slightly related issue, I'll be passing through Helsinki airport
the week before Christmas and unfortunately have about 8 hours (8.30
am to 17.00 pm) between my incoming domestic flight from Lapland, and
my onward connection to London. Is there anything I can do,
particularly either at the airport, or nearby, to keep a 7 year old
child entertained for that long?

At the Helsinki-Vantaa airport the most interesting things to do are
probably shopping and watching the airplanes. So given that you that
much time it should be no problem to get out of the airport. If you
want to stay closer to the airport, I think Heureka Science Center¹ in
Tikkurila could be a decent place for a visit. The only problem with
that might be the fact that they open only at 10 o'clock. Further away
in the actual City of Helsinki (Tikkurila and Helsinki-Vantaa airport
at Seutula are located in City of Vantaa), I think the Korkeasaari
Zoo² would be one of the most obvious places to take a child. The Zoo
also opens at 10, but that should not be a problem as with public
transportation it easily takes at least hour to get there. Assuming the
travel date happens to be a weekday, unfortunately this time of year
the public transportation don't go very near the Zoo, the closest bus
stops and Kulosaari metro station are about 2 km away.

¹ URL:http://www.heureka.fi/
² URL:http://www.hel.fi/zoo/index_eng.html
Old October 9th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Iceblock

I would suggest the Scandic Continental. The Finnair bus stops at
the hotel on the way from the airport. It is located on tram lines
10, 4 and 7

A second option would be the new Holiday Inn at the main train station.
No news about the place ecept it is very central and new......