German railpass?

Old June 30th, 2009, 05:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

Default German railpass?

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:18:50 -0700 (PDT), Holly
wrote:

On Jun 29, 7:15*pm, Hatunen wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 22:36:41 +0000 (UTC), Jesper Lauridsen

On 2009-06-25, Holly wrote:
Well, I found one money saver (in case anyone else stumbles in here
and is looking for information). The VRS serves the Koeln-Bonn area
(including out to where I'll be working in Dueren), and has multiple
types of passes, including a WochenTicket (43.5 EUR to the outlying
"Region 4" areas), which should do just the trick.

Generally, rail passes are only worthwhile for days where you're going
to be travelling long distances. For commuter situations, much better
options should be available - as you've discovered. If you're inside
the coverage area of a local transport authority, they'll always have
something useful.

For the rest of your travel, check out the point-to-point prices before
committing to one of the broader tickets.

But do not, repeat DO NOT, check out point to point fares at
websites like RailEurope. National rail sites are OK. I
especially like DeutscheBahn for its easy to use schedule and
fare pages.

One thing to do is divide the cost of the pass by the number of
days it's valid (except for full, unlimited, EurailPasses) and
compare this to the point to point fares for your proposed
journey. Be sure to take into account any joint fare deals if
there's more than one of you travelling.

Yeah, I've been looking up information/schedules/fares on bahn.de --
much more useful than the others you mentioned, for sure. However, I'm
finding that a car rental for two days may be the better option. It'll
only be me and a couple pieces of luggage, and for $120 (86 EUR)
inclusive, that's hard to beat,

Well, until you factor in European fuel prices and city parking
fees and, other than Germany, tolls.

and gives me more flexibility in when/
where to go places (see my other posts about the lockers at Baden-
Baden, and trying to figure out where to hit the Westweg in and out).
I love the train travel, but on this compressed timetable and with as
much as I'd LIKE to do... it's presenting some challenges that I
hadn't anticipated.

It's all trade-offs.

Old June 30th, 2009, 05:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Holly

On Jun 30, 11:33*am, Hatunen wrote:
It's all trade-offs.

Yup, I'm discovering that. Hah!
Old July 1st, 2009, 12:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
Hatunen wrote:

Well, until you factor in European fuel prices and city parking
fees and, other than Germany, tolls.

And then there's finding a parking place. . .

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo*