Laptops in New Zealand

Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:56 PM
Kent Feiler

Default Laptops in New Zealand

Before my wife and I left for NZ, I posted some questions about using
laptops there. Now we're back, so I thought I'd let you know how it
worked out.

First, your laptop will probably be happy with NZ power. The way to
tell is to look at the transformer (that rectangular box on the power
cord). There should be a label on it that gives its power
requirements. Mine said 110-240V 50/60Hertz which includes both USA
and NZ power. You will need a converter plug or two since the NZ
outlets are for slanted plugs. You can buy them before you leave in
many electronics stores or they're for sale in the airports and in
many hotels. If your laptop has a 3-prong plug, make sure the
converter plug you buy will accomodate it.

Telephone hookups vary. The big hotels have "Business Centers" which
may have PCs available on Ethernet connections. There, all you have to
do is unplug the Ethernet cable from one of the hotel PCs and plug it
into your PC and you're all set. Nothing wrong with this, by the way,
that's normal use of the center.

Smaller hotels/motels etc, may or may not have "PC ready" RJ11
telephone jacks in the rooms. In they do, you're all set; if they
don't you'll need a BT80 modem cable. This has a RJ11 plug on one end
and a BT80 plug on the other. The BT80 plug is a thin, flat plug. You
can get one in any electronics store and most Internet Cafes.

Finally, you'll need an ISP. I used one called Xtra (www.xtra.co.nz).
You can sign up for just the time you're there, no need to get a
year's subscription, and they have one telephone number that you can
use anywhere in NZ.

In the end, it wasn't much trouble to bring the laptop. In addition to
picking up email, it was useful in booking hotel/motel reservations in
that most of those places have web pages.

Regards,

Kent Feiler
www.KentFeiler.com