International agency expats 'want out of the Netherlands'

Old September 27th, 2005, 11:32 AM

Default International agency expats 'want out of the Netherlands'

Martin a =E9crit :

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_...d=3D1&story_i=

d=3D23927&name=3DInternational+agency+expats+%27wa nt+to+leave%27
International agency expats 'want out of the Netherlands'

You pick a fine time to tell me this, Martin!!

What is your own opinion of the health system? Are there problems also
with the private sector?

(FWIW I have recently had more experience than I would have wished with
the French health care system, and found it excellent.)

G;

Old September 27th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Erick T. Barkhuis

Martin [on Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:15:16 +0200] wrote:

The list of grievances was topped off with complaints about the
weather

That's what locals love to complain about all day, too.

and the difficulties of speaking Dutch.

....which holds true for many locals as well, I'm afraid.

So, what's new? :-)

--
Low Countries By Bike - http://lowcountriesbybike.ardane.com
Riding on two wheels in Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany
Old September 27th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Go Fig

In article , Martin
wrote:

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_...story_id=23927
&name=International+agency+expats+%27want+to+leave %27
International agency expats 'want out of the Netherlands'

Hush!

....this is not good marketing for the relocation of the UN to the
Netherlands.

jay
Tue Sep 27, 2005

Old September 27th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Thur

"Martin" wrote ...
http://www.expatica.com/source/site_...nt+to+leave%27
International agency expats 'want out of the Netherlands'
The reasons for wanting to leave included unhappiness with the
healthcare waiting lists and unsympathetic doctors; the tax system;
dealing with bureaucracy; expensive childcare and the lack of suitable
housing.

Apparantly they are well integrated, because that's about what local people
complain. Healthcare waitinglists (5 weeks before even having a first
appointment), taxes, bureaucracy (you need at least 3 permits for anything
and you'll have to wait at least several months), childcare is expensive
(but then again, people want to have it _all_.how about making some
choices?) and housing (rent & to buy) is overly expensive, period.

The list of grievances was topped off with complaints about the
weather and the difficulties of speaking Dutch.

Firstly, the weather isn't _that_ bad and is not something to control.
Secondly, I think most people working as expats in international
organisations will have to speak English (French?) most of the time anyway
at work, so... why speak Dutch at all (you can get around just fine on
English) or... just learn a few basic phrases which is appreciated and
switch to English. And I do admit that hearing some Dutch speak English has
a tendency to sound like Dutch ;-)
Greetings,

*want to leave too! :-P*

Old September 27th, 2005, 02:12 PM

Erick T. Barkhuis a =E9crit :

Martin [on Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:15:16 +0200] wrote:

The list of grievances was topped off with complaints about the
weather

That's what locals love to complain about all day, too.

Was it Mark Twain that said "everyone complains about the weather, but
no-one does anything about it"?

G;

Old September 27th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Timothy Kroesen

A rather 'bacteria in cheek' response Martin...?...g

Tim K

"Martin" wrote in message
I've just had 8 days first hand experience of a Dutch hospital and
have no complaints, other than the bacteria I caught, whilst there.

Some Dutch GPs are a bit ifffy.
--
Martin

Old September 27th, 2005, 09:06 PM