Marvellous new US postal rates

Old May 14th, 2007, 07:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton

Default Marvellous new US postal rates

I had to look at the )5/14/07) new
postal rates this morning since I had some heavier letters to
send. The US Post Office seems to have done a wonderful job of a
mishmash of complicating things with "size factors" and no
simple formula applicable over a
large range. Have a careful look at letter post rates if you
have to go from 3 oz to 4 oz.

Fortunately, most things I mail to Europe and Canada are under 2
oz but, even there, the 1 oz increments are really erratic!

A rationale for the new rates is that they will increase
efficiency but it seems to me that they will increase business
at the actual post offices! I've been a liberal for a long time
and normally, I am favor of unions. If I were paranoid, I would
suspect make-work for the Postal
Workers Union by having people come to an actual Post Office,
not inept supervision by the arithmetically challenged Postal
Commissioners! I wonder if any of them have ever mailed a
letter personally, recently?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Old May 14th, 2007, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

In article ,
James Silverton not.jim.siverton.at.comcast.not wrote:
I had to look at the )5/14/07) new
postal rates this morning since I had some heavier letters to
send. The US Post Office seems to have done a wonderful job of a
mishmash of complicating things with "size factors" and no
simple formula applicable over a large range.

Oooh, I see what you mean. An 8x10 envelope now costs a minimum
of 80 cents. Thanks for the heads up.

Patty

Old May 14th, 2007, 08:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

On 2007-05-14 14:12:46 -0400, "James Silverton"
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not said:

I've been a liberal for a long time and normally, I am favor of unions.
If I were paranoid, I would suspect make-work for the Postal
Workers Union by having people come to an actual Post Office,
not inept supervision by the arithmetically challenged Postal
Commissioners! I wonder if any of them have ever mailed a
letter personally, recently?

I don't believe the thinking on this subject has anything to do with
"conservative" or "liberal".

It might be worth your noting that direct advertisement and direct
marketing firms are extremely upset about these new rates because they
complicate their lives beyond belief. To me, as a consumer, that's just
fine! I'll gladly live with a little more complication to me if it
causes such outfits a lot of complication.

Old May 15th, 2007, 02:30 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

"James Silverton" not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not wrote in message
Workers Union by having people come to an actual Post Office,
not inept supervision by the arithmetically challenged Postal
Commissioners! I wonder if any of them have ever mailed a
letter personally, recently?

No, they use E-mail exclusively! ;-) KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website view over 3,600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI, and

Old May 15th, 2007, 07:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton

Patty wrote on 14 May 2007 18:27:58 GMT:

PW In article ,
PW James Silverton not.jim.siverton.at.comcast.not wrote:
?? I had to look at the )5/14/07) new
?? postal rates this morning since I had some heavier letters
?? to send. The US Post Office seems to have done a wonderful
?? job of a mishmash of complicating things with "size
?? factors" and no simple formula applicable over a large
?? range.

PW Oooh, I see what you mean. An 8x10 envelope now costs a
PW minimum of 80 cents. Thanks for the heads up.

This could help tho' I'd much rather have simple formulas that
did not require me to log on the Internet and they could easily
have given dimension ranges on the page. It does look a little
more approachable than the original 30-odd page document!

http://postcalc.usps.gov/

Old May 15th, 2007, 09:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Tue, 15 May 2007 14:13:10 -0400, "James Silverton"
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not wrote:

Patty wrote on 14 May 2007 18:27:58 GMT:

PW In article ,
PW James Silverton not.jim.siverton.at.comcast.not wrote:
?? I had to look at the )5/14/07) new
?? postal rates this morning since I had some heavier letters
?? to send. The US Post Office seems to have done a wonderful
?? job of a mishmash of complicating things with "size
?? factors" and no simple formula applicable over a large
?? range.

PW Oooh, I see what you mean. An 8x10 envelope now costs a
PW minimum of 80 cents. Thanks for the heads up.

This could help tho' I'd much rather have simple formulas that
did not require me to log on the Internet and they could easily
have given dimension ranges on the page. It does look a little
more approachable than the original 30-odd page document!

http://postcalc.usps.gov/

It's the 1/4-inch thick part for a large envelope that puzzles
me; how do you actually measure it? Or the 1/4"-thick for a
normal envelope?

Old May 15th, 2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Something new I learned today: if you're sending something in an 8" x
10" (or larger) envelope, it costs an extra 17 cents if the envelope has
a metal clasp...

Old May 15th, 2007, 11:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

In article ,
James Silverton not.jim.siverton.at.comcast.not wrote:

This could help tho' I'd much rather have simple formulas that
did not require me to log on the Internet and they could easily
have given dimension ranges on the page. It does look a little
more approachable than the original 30-odd page document!

http://postcalc.usps.gov/

Garggg, yes, that "Notice 123" is a bear. However, this page
has a summary:

http://www.usps.com/prices/

and there's also a link to a two-page "Easy Reference" document
that gives the exact prices up to 13 oz.

Patty