Toronto: Something to do during 4 hour layover?

Old November 25th, 2007, 09:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Greg Guarino

Default Toronto: Something to do during 4 hour layover?

We're not visiting Toronto, but we have a pretty inconvenient flight
itinerary. Is a decent meal (luinch) OUTSIDE the airport possible to
do in that much time?

Greg Guarino
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_2_]

Greg Guarino wrote:

We're not visiting Toronto, but we have a pretty inconvenient flight
itinerary. Is a decent meal (luinch) OUTSIDE the airport possible to
do in that much time?

There are a number of franchise places along Dixon Rd, which is less than a
mile from the airport. There is Keg Steakhouse at 927 Dixon.
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_2_]

Dave Smith wrote:

Greg Guarino wrote:

We're not visiting Toronto, but we have a pretty inconvenient flight
itinerary. Is a decent meal (luinch) OUTSIDE the airport possible to
do in that much time?

There are a number of franchise places along Dixon Rd, which is less than a
mile from the airport. There is Keg Steakhouse at 927 Dixon.

BTW.... that is out in airport country. If you are talking about going
downtown, that would be pushing it.

You could also hop a cab to the Sherway Mall at the Queensway and Hwy. 427.
There are a number of restaurants on the north side of the Queensway across
from the mall.
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Nov 25, 3:07 pm, Greg Guarino wrote:
We're not visiting Toronto, but we have a pretty inconvenient flight
itinerary. Is a decent meal (luinch) OUTSIDE the airport possible to
do in that much time?

Greg Guarino

Keep in mind that you can't always count on those 4 hours. Most of
the time, your plane will touch ground at the arrival time. Then you
have taxi, gate, and deboarding time. That 4 hour layover could very
well be cut down to 3 1/2 to 3 hours by the time you reach the airport
exit. Subtract the re-entry time through Security and getting to your
gate 1/2 hour before departure of the next flight.

I'm not saying don't do it, but be sure you account for the extra time.
Old November 25th, 2007, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_2_]

Jim Davis wrote:

On Nov 25, 3:07 pm, Greg Guarino wrote:
We're not visiting Toronto, but we have a pretty inconvenient flight
itinerary. Is a decent meal (luinch) OUTSIDE the airport possible to
do in that much time?

Greg Guarino

Keep in mind that you can't always count on those 4 hours. Most of
the time, your plane will touch ground at the arrival time. Then you
have taxi, gate, and deboarding time. That 4 hour layover could very
well be cut down to 3 1/2 to 3 hours by the time you reach the airport
exit. Subtract the re-entry time through Security and getting to your
gate 1/2 hour before departure of the next flight.

I'm not saying don't do it, but be sure you account for the extra time.

I guess it is a matter of grabbing a decent lunch at a place near the
airport or to go downtown. There are a number of places near the airport
that are likely much better and much cheaper than what is available in the
airport, but I don't think that heading downtown is a viable option.
Old November 25th, 2007, 11:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Nov 25, 4:49 pm, Dave Smith wrote:
Jim Davis wrote:

[...]

airport, but I don't think that heading downtown is a viable option.- Hide quoted text -

I think downtown is out of the picture, but even a place near the
airport might be a problem under certain circumstances. I just hope
he realizes that 4 hours is usually *not* 4 hours. Missing your
connection is not a good way to end a good meal.
Old November 26th, 2007, 03:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Greg Guarino

Jim Davis wrote:

[...]

Thanks to you both. The most likely outcome is magazines and airport
food, but if we get off the plane with unusual efficiency, we might
get adventurous.

Greg Guarino
Old November 28th, 2007, 01:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Smiles

Greg Guarino wrote:
We're not visiting Toronto, but we have a pretty inconvenient flight
itinerary. Is a decent meal (luinch) OUTSIDE the airport possible to
do in that much time?

Greg Guarino

If you are coming from US take 1 hr off to clear customs / immigration
you will have to take your bags to new airline and book in say 1hr to be
safe
arrival before departure 1hr
ask your departing airline if you can leave airport with check bags
under new rules you must be at airport before packing your baggage on
airline

if you are flying within Canada you have more time

AS a rule there is three restaurants on airport road plus the strip hotels

take care you should have no more than 1 hour at best