Niagara Falls in February

Old November 29th, 2007, 07:44 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gareth Slee

Default Niagara Falls in February

We're travelling from the UK in February and staying 7 nights in
Toronto.
I understand it can get a little cold that time of the year? Are there
possible problems in being able to travel to Niagara Falls due to the
weather?

Also I've been looking to stay at "Residence Inn Toronto
Downtown/Entertainment District" in Toronto. Anyone have any thoughts on
the hotel?

Any other advice appreciated.

--
Am I the only Gareth Slee?
http://www.garethslee.com
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Nov 29, 11:44 am, (Gareth Slee) wrote:
We're travelling from the UK in February and staying 7 nights in
Toronto.
I understand it can get a little cold that time of the year? Are there
possible problems in being able to travel to Niagara Falls due to the
weather?

Snow and ice on the road. Other than that, not much.

Old November 29th, 2007, 09:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_2_]

Gareth Slee wrote:

We're travelling from the UK in February and staying 7 nights in
Toronto.
I understand it can get a little cold that time of the year? Are there
possible problems in being able to travel to Niagara Falls due to the
weather?

There is always the possibility of a snow storm, but people still get
around. The Queen Elizabeth Way is a major highway that runs from Toronto
right to Niagara Falls and it rarely gets to bad to drive on. It is a
major commuter route so they take pretty good care of it. You can consider
it to be a bonus if you hit snow because the falls area always looks
especially nice with lots of fresh snow. There is also train and bus
service between Toronto and Niagara Falls.

Also I've been looking to stay at "Residence Inn Toronto
Downtown/Entertainment District" in Toronto. Anyone have any thoughts on
the hotel?

Any other advice appreciated.

I have no direct experience with that hotel but it appears to be a Marriot,
so it should live up to their standards. It is a pretty good part of town,
handy to train and bus.
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_2_]

"Gareth Slee" wrote in message
.. .
We're travelling from the UK in February and staying 7 nights in
Toronto.
I understand it can get a little cold that time of the year? Are there
possible problems in being able to travel to Niagara Falls due to the
weather?

Not unless there's a major storm, having visited the falls in winter
and summer I prefer the winter, the crowds wont be there and if its
a cold winter the ice is an amazing spectacle. Be sure to take your
passport and walk across to the American side which is very
different.

Also I've been looking to stay at "Residence Inn Toronto
Downtown/Entertainment District" in Toronto. Anyone have any thoughts on
the hotel?

I hane never stayed there but it gets good reports. I usually stay at the
Strathcona which is better for my budget and has a great location

Keith

Old November 29th, 2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Spam Catcher

jdoe wrote in news:6uauk3h5fmq4krajg9a4ielmdhmeko9fc8@
4ax.com:

it could be very cold and the river under the falls will be frozen but
it is still spectacular, the hotel is fine, the area is slightly honky
tonk, tourist trapish but it's fine

Niagara Falls has upgraded itself significantly over the past few years. I
was surprised the attractions have improved from what I remember 10 - 20
years ago. The surrounding area is quite bearable now.
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

I understand it can get a little cold that time of the year?

Niagra Fall's average temperatures in February a
High 34F (1C)
Low 17F (-8C)

Toronto is slightly colder.

James
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Gareth Slee:
I understand it can get a little cold that time of the year?

James Step:
[Niagara Falls]' average temperatures in February a
High 34F (1C)
Low 17F (-8C)

Toronto is slightly colder.

But it's a continental climate, and the actual temperatures on any
particular day could easily be either warmer or colder by 5-10C or
even more. Clear skies tend to go with colder weather, but again,
it's not necessarily so.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I shot a query into the net.
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:08 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Gareth Slee:
I understand it can get a little cold that time of the year? Are there
possible problems in being able to travel to Niagara Falls due to the
weather?

Keith Willshaw:
Not unless there's a major storm,

Gareth said "problems", which is a fairly general word. For the
highway (the QEW) to actually be closed would take quite a major
storm indeed. However, even a moderate snowfall is enough to slow
traffic while it's going on, and it also increases the accident
rate, which can cause more delays. (Well, in the worst case you
could be killed, but than that's true anytime.) If ice forms on
the road, that's more dangerous; fortunately, it happens less often
than snow.

Other than driving, your options are bus (via the same roads,
but your driver is used to Canadian weather) and train (only runs
twice a day, and the evening trip to Toronto has serious timekeeping
problems due to having started in rom New York).

having visited the falls in winter and summer I prefer the winter,
the crowds wont be there and if its a cold winter the ice is an
amazing spectacle.

On the other hand, in winter the falls are run at 1/4 power all the
time (in summer they're turned up to 1/2 power in the daytime) and
a number of the Falls-related tourist attractions are closed (for
example, the Maid of the Mist doesn't run).

Be sure to take your passport and walk across to the American side
which is very different.

The walking route is via the south sidewalk of the Rainbow Bridge,
with a view of the falls as you go. On the US side you can go onto
the two islands between the three waterfalls, Goat Island and little
Luna Island.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Pleasant dreams!"