I Never Thought I'd Say This, But...

Old March 28th, 2011, 11:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Default I Never Thought I'd Say This, But...

I think that a lot of statements being made in this thread are made as
absolutes when there is insufficient evidence to back up the absolute.
"cpaps are a medical necessity", "cpaps are not a medical necessity but
an assistance device" . . .

The absolute statements ignore that every case is different - in some
cases they are a necessity and in others an assist. I know that Janet's
DH suffers from congestive heart failure, as do I, and has major
breathing problems. It most likely is a necessity for him. I have
another friend (and Janet's DH is also a friend - I've met him and
really like him) who uses one more as an assist. Totally different
cases. I wear a pacemaker but I can't say if it is a necessity or an
assist. The only way to truly determine that is to unplug the thing and
see if my heart stops. That's an experiment I'm not ready to
participate in :-)

So far as using distilled or tap water, why not follow the
manufacturer's recommendation? I could use tap water in my golf cart
batteries which cost about $160 each but I would certainly shorten their
life span. I could use cheaper batteries in my pacemaker but I would
just have to buy more of them more often and would risk possible injury
to the device.

I really don't know where Janet got $.50 for a gallon of distilled
water, I pay about $.99 and buy them five at a time. But even at my
price their $5 a gallon represents a 500% markup which strikes me as
pretty high - that's Prada territory.

Old March 28th, 2011, 11:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 17:20:06 -0500, (Kenn
Smith) wrote:

[...]

I'm in about the same boat as you with the exception of the pacemaker.
I had congestive heart failure due to atrial fib but have held off the
pacemaker with meds that keep me in sinus rhythm. Of course I had a
partial rf ablation and a couple of cardioversions. I also use the
CPAP as an assist.
So far as using distilled or tap water, why not follow the
manufacturer's recommendation? I could use tap water in my golf cart
batteries which cost about $160 each but I would certainly shorten their
life span. I could use cheaper batteries in my pacemaker but I would
just have to buy more of them more often and would risk possible injury
to the device.

The point that I was trying to make really was that the machine will
not sustain any appreciable damage if one uses tap water for the
length of a cruise in a pinch. If that is unacceptable then I think
$5.00 would be quite acceptable. I also pay $.99 for a gallon of
distilled water.
We all have to live with the fact that the cruise lines have kept
prices down by cutting out a few amenities.

I really don't know where Janet got $.50 for a gallon of distilled
water, I pay about $.99 and buy them five at a time. But even at my
price their $5 a gallon represents a 500% markup which strikes me as
pretty high - that's Prada territory.

I once was grumbling to a store manager about the fact that a 16 OZ
bottle of coke costs more in his store than a 2 liter in the
supermarket and he said that I should have read the sign on the store
that says front of his store that said "convenience,"

Thumper
Old March 29th, 2011, 12:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Terry[_5_]

On 3/28/2011 6:20 PM, Kenn Smith wrote:
I think that a lot of statements being made in this thread are made as
absolutes when there is insufficient evidence to back up the absolute.
"cpaps are a medical necessity", "cpaps are not a medical necessity but
an assistance device" . . .

I believe I said they were a medical necessity for some people...

"It IS a medical necessity for some people"

If you want to use regular water for a cruise, go ahead...humidifiers
aren't that expensive for some people to replace
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 3/28/2011 5:20 PM, Kenn Smith wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Kenn. The Bi-pap machine is definitely not an "assist" device
for my DH. Without it his blood oxygen levels drop to dangerous places.
At home he uses an oxygen concentrator attached to the C-pap, but when
we travel, his doctor allows him to go without it as long as he uses the
Bi-pap machine. It is critical to his life. We even take it overseas and
use a transformer.

DH has a defribillating pacemaker, as well as an insulin pump. He's bionic.

So far as using distilled or tap water, why not follow the
manufacturer's recommendation? I could use tap water in my golf cart
batteries which cost about $160 each but I would certainly shorten their
life span. I could use cheaper batteries in my pacemaker but I would
just have to buy more of them more often and would risk possible injury
to the device.

We now own the Bi-pap machine. There is no way we will not follow
manufacturer's directions. I would hate to be putting tap water into it
on a 15 day cruise and watch the humidifier crap out after day 4. Then
what does one do?

I really don't know where Janet got $.50 for a gallon of distilled
water, I pay about $.99 and buy them five at a time. But even at my
price their $5 a gallon represents a 500% markup which strikes me as
pretty high - that's Prada territory.

I just figured that if you could buy it at retail for 99 cents, it
probably cost the cruise line 50 cents as they purchase in huge lots and
get highly discounted prices. If Carnival were charging 99 cents or
even $1.50, I probably wouldn't mind, but the idea of making such an
obscene profit on something people need for their health is what really
bugged me. I'm glad you could see that.

BTW, we miss you. We are going up to your neck of the woods in May and
may work out a visit if y'all are up to it. Where's my library card? g

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 3/28/2011 6:11 PM, Terry wrote:
On 3/28/2011 6:20 PM, Kenn Smith wrote:
I think that a lot of statements being made in this thread are made as
absolutes when there is insufficient evidence to back up the absolute.
"cpaps are a medical necessity", "cpaps are not a medical necessity but
an assistance device" . . .

I believe I said they were a medical necessity for some people...

"It IS a medical necessity for some people"

If you want to use regular water for a cruise, go ahead...humidifiers
aren't that expensive for some people to replace

What if the tap water causes it to malfunction during the cruise? What
do you do if you still need the humidifier to breathe properly? For
that reason I would not take the chance.

Old March 29th, 2011, 03:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Terry[_5_]

"It IS a medical necessity for some people"

If you want to use regular water for a cruise, go ahead...humidifiers
aren't that expensive for some people to replace

sorry Janet...that was tongue-in-cheek!!!! I'm on your side!

Old March 29th, 2011, 11:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 21:08:46 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote:

On 3/28/2011 6:11 PM, Terry wrote:
On 3/28/2011 6:20 PM, Kenn Smith wrote:
I think that a lot of statements being made in this thread are made as
absolutes when there is insufficient evidence to back up the absolute.
"cpaps are a medical necessity", "cpaps are not a medical necessity but
an assistance device" . . .

I believe I said they were a medical necessity for some people...

"It IS a medical necessity for some people"

If you want to use regular water for a cruise, go ahead...humidifiers
aren't that expensive for some people to replace

What if the tap water causes it to malfunction during the cruise? What
do you do if you still need the humidifier to breathe properly? For
that reason I would not take the chance.

If this is so critical to you then buy the damned water.
Thumper
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

wrote:

On 3/28/2011 6:11 PM, Terry wrote:
On 3/28/2011 6:20 PM, Kenn Smith wrote:
I think that a lot of statements being made in this thread are made as
absolutes when there is insufficient evidence to back up the absolute.
"cpaps are a medical necessity", "cpaps are not a medical necessity but
an assistance device" . . .

I believe I said they were a medical necessity for some people...

"It IS a medical necessity for some people"

If you want to use regular water for a cruise, go ahead...humidifiers
aren't that expensive for some people to replace

What if the tap water causes it to malfunction during the cruise? What
do you do if you still need the humidifier to breathe properly? For
that reason I would not take the chance.

If this is so critical to you then buy the damned water.

Not from Carnival. Not when they put a 500% mark up on it.

You missed the entire point of the thread. Let me clarify it for you.

1) Carnival charges $5 for a jug of water that they can probably get for
50 cents (in large quantities).

2)People who purchase this water need it for their breathing machines.
It's a health matter, not a recreational matter.

3)Carnival is making an obscene profit from the health issues of their
guests.

4)I object to the price-gouging for a medical need.

I guess you are having a difficult time in your life and have the need
to lash out at some one or something. I can't comprehend that anyone
who understood my post would defend such a practice, so I'm supposing
that you have personal problems and blowing off steam at me is helpful
to your psyche.

I hope you feel better soon.

Old March 29th, 2011, 03:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Villa Deauville

eb.com...
wrote:

[...]

Careful Janet. You're progressing from a well organized argument to an
'O'Boyle' type rant. Don't let an internet loon goad you.

Sunny-----leave the bashing of thumper to boa

Old March 29th, 2011, 03:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
nfw

wrote:

[...]

It does not matter, you've made your mind up to not to cruise on Carnival so
your ongoing bitchfest is moot. I'm not sure if it's the $5 charge you'd
incurre or that carnival won't give it to you free, but either way you're
looking very cheap.