port charges who eats fee is ship is half full?

Old May 4th, 2004, 11:45 PM
steve

Default port charges who eats fee is ship is half full?

i was thinking ship loses on this one?

Old May 5th, 2004, 12:43 AM
HDawson228

Port charges may be based on a per guest charge.
Old May 5th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Cruzinsure

Port charges may be based on a per guest charge.

Or a combination of factors. The port may charge by the length of the ship when
computing dock space plus the local immigration/customs people may charge per
person. Need a tug boat? That may be by the vessel's gross tonnage or perhaps
on an hourly basis. A port-supplied pilot may be a flat fee.

I once read that ships home porting at the Port of Los Angeles paid fees to 17
different entities including the Coastal Commission and the LA County Air
Quality District. For the latter they were charged per ton of CO the ship
generated while in the port.
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:28 AM
HDawson228

I think I've read that the trasit charge for the Panama Canal is like $200,000.
Old May 7th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Crescent

I've never been on a poorly booked ship. In fact, I think most of the
ships I've been on have been at capacity. The last cruise I was on
(Rhapsody out of Galveston) was sold out. I asked the gal at the
check in area what the census percentage was and she said that the
ship had been sold out since they started sailing out of Galveston
over a year earlier.

On Thu, 06 May 2004 11:11:50 -0400, Mason Barge
wrote:

Where the cruiseline really gets nailed on poorly-booked cruises are
fixed operating costs (fuel, depreciation, salaries -- actually
per-ton wharfage would be an item in this category) and loss of
discretionary passenger spending (bingo, excursions, drinks, etc.)

Old May 7th, 2004, 09:14 PM
RTCReferee

Crescent wrote:

I've never been on a poorly booked ship.

I don't know about that. All libraries at sea are NOT created equal.