Ryanair question

Old April 4th, 2004, 03:22 PM
User 1.nospam

Default Ryanair question

A large group of us will be returning to London from Copenhagen (Malmo) on
Ryanair after our cruise ends.

Does Ryanair enforce their baggage limits? (15kg, ?6 per extra kg)

And, while we're at it...any idea how wide their seats are?

User1

Old April 4th, 2004, 03:30 PM
James Robinson

"User 1.nospam" wrote:

Does Ryanair enforce their baggage limits? (15kg, ?6 per extra kg)

Other posts suggest that they are quite strict about it.

And, while we're at it...any idea how wide their seats are?

No different than anyone else's. They have to fit within the fuselage.
Old April 4th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Traveller

"James Robinson" wrote in message
"User 1.nospam" wrote:

Does Ryanair enforce their baggage limits? (15kg, ?6 per extra kg)

Other posts suggest that they are quite strict about it.

They are - very strict. And you can't pool baggage allowances - i.e. if
there are 4 of you, and your total weight is 60kg, but you have 2 pieces at
20kg and 2 at 10kg, then you'll pay excess baggage on 2*(20-15) = 10kg.

If you have a lot of baggage, and I know cruise travellers sometimes do,
then it may be worth considering alternative strategies, such as shipping
some of your luggage air cargo/unaccompanied baggage - this is relatively
competitively priced within the EU (and certainly less than GBP6 per kg).

And, while we're at it...any idea how wide their seats are?

No different than anyone else's. They have to fit within the fuselage.

Ryanir operate mainly 737s, with seating 6 across, 3+3, pretty much like any
other 737 you've ever been in (at least in economy class).

Old April 4th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Simon Elliott

User 1.nospam writes
A large group of us will be returning to London from Copenhagen (Malmo) on
Ryanair after our cruise ends.

Does Ryanair enforce their baggage limits? (15kg, ?6 per extra kg)

Yes, in my experience, for both checked and hand baggage. I took a
return trip with Ryanair a couple of weeks ago and had my hand baggage
weighed and measured for both flights. I noticed that the same thing was
happening to the other passengers.

They also seem to strictly enforce their check-in deadline. I saw a
group denied boarding at STN because they were a few minutes late.
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk/

Old April 5th, 2004, 12:45 AM

User 1.nospam writes

A large group of us will be returning to London from Copenhagen (Malmo) on
Ryanair after our cruise ends.
Does Ryanair enforce their baggage limits? (15kg, ?6 per extra kg)

You have to expect that Ryanair will enforce their limits.
33 lbs sounds very little for returning cruise passengers.
OTOH when flying to Stansted you are being checked in by handling
agents who - as they are not direct employees - may not be quite so
fussy. Returning from Treviso a few months ago I saw nobody being
surcharged and our own bags were a couple of pounds over the limit.

On another occasion I found an unattended checkin desk, weighed the
cases and transferred some items to the lighter case.

A coat with several large pockets would be useful...
Old April 9th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Steve Rainbird

"User 1.nospam" wrote:

Does Ryanair enforce their baggage limits? (15kg, ?6 per extra kg)

Other posts suggest that they are quite strict about it.

They are - very strict. And you can't pool baggage allowances - i.e. if
there are 4 of you, and your total weight is 60kg, but you have 2 pieces

at
20kg and 2 at 10kg, then you'll pay excess baggage on 2*(20-15) = 10kg.

What a load of crap! How can you say that you cannot pool allowances? If 2
people are sharing a suitcase what can they do?

If you have a lot of baggage, and I know cruise travellers sometimes do,
then it may be worth considering alternative strategies, such as shipping
some of your luggage air cargo/unaccompanied baggage - this is relatively
competitively priced within the EU (and certainly less than GBP6 per kg).

And, while we're at it...any idea how wide their seats are?

No different than anyone else's. They have to fit within the fuselage.

Ryanir operate mainly 737s, with seating 6 across, 3+3, pretty much like

any
other 737 you've ever been in (at least in economy class).

I my experience it depends on which country you are in and the mood of the
check in staff as to what you can get away with. In any case you knew the
weight limits when you booked the tickets so nobody should complain when
they get charged extra.

I have flown Ryanair, Easyjet, and Flybe many times and have nothing but
praise for them all.

Steve

Old April 10th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Of course it does have a simple solution. Check in the group in what
you expect to be the order of baggage weight. If a person is above the
limit then sit there at checkin switching items to one of the persons
farther back in the group. After a half hour or so of this they will
either have to fly empty planes or weigh the group together. FFM

Hilary wrote:

Does Ryanair enforce their baggage limits? (15kg, ?6 per extra kg)

Other posts suggest that they are quite strict about it.

They are - very strict. And you can't pool baggage allowances - i.e. if
there are 4 of you, and your total weight is 60kg, but you have 2 pieces

at 20kg and 2 at 10kg, then you'll pay excess baggage on 2*(20-15) = 10kg.

What a load of crap! How can you say that you cannot pool allowances? If 2
people are sharing a suitcase what can they do?

Charge one of them huge amounts of excess, whoever's name the case is
checked under.

Hilary

Old April 10th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Steve Rainbird

"Hilary" wrote in message
Does Ryanair enforce their baggage limits? (15kg, ?6 per extra

kg)

Other posts suggest that they are quite strict about it.

They are - very strict. And you can't pool baggage allowances - i.e.

if
there are 4 of you, and your total weight is 60kg, but you have 2

pieces
at
20kg and 2 at 10kg, then you'll pay excess baggage on 2*(20-15) =

10kg.

What a load of crap! How can you say that you cannot pool allowances?

If 2
people are sharing a suitcase what can they do?

Charge one of them huge amounts of excess, whoever's name the case is
checked under.

Hilary

I guess in theory that could happen but Ryanair are not the *******s
everybody makes them out to be. You know the rules when you book the
flight. If you don't like them don't book.

Old April 10th, 2004, 06:47 PM
freeda

[...]

I agree. The only way they can make a profit from such low fares is to
maximise revenue from other sources.
I am finding more and more these days that 'Hi - cost' airlines are getting
a little stricter with their rules. Presumably because they have had to cut
their fares to compete with the lo-costs.