Visa Question - UK Passport Holder, best palce Russian Visa?

Old March 9th, 2004, 11:43 PM
~~ Ray ~~

Default Visa Question - UK Passport Holder, best palce Russian Visa?

Basic Info: I'm a British Citizen holding a UK Passport

I'm thinking of going on holiday next year, i'm planning flying to Hong Kong
one way. And plan to travel through Chins, Mongolia, Russia, Poland and
through Europe back to the UK.

I know i will need Visa's:-

1) Should i get all the Visa's from the UK?
2) Should i get all the Visa's from Hong Kong?
3) or get the Visa's as i move around the countries, ie get the China and
Mongolian one from Hong Kong, get the Russian one from China?

Would they be any cheaper this way?

Any help would be great.

--

Ray -
www.PaperPencils.co.uk

\\ l l l //
(@ @)
____________ oOO-(_)-OOo____________

Old March 10th, 2004, 12:17 AM
mtravelkay

~~ Ray ~~ wrote:

Basic Info: I'm a British Citizen holding a UK Passport

I'm thinking of going on holiday next year, i'm planning flying to Hong Kong
one way. And plan to travel through Chins, Mongolia, Russia, Poland and
through Europe back to the UK.

I know i will need Visa's:-

1) Should i get all the Visa's from the UK?
2) Should i get all the Visa's from Hong Kong?
3) or get the Visa's as i move around the countries, ie get the China and
Mongolian one from Hong Kong, get the Russian one from China?

Would they be any cheaper this way?

Why not get the Visas before you leave. That way you have no worries
about not being left without a visa.

Old March 10th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Traveller

"~~ Ray ~~" wrote in message
Basic Info: I'm a British Citizen holding a UK Passport

I'm thinking of going on holiday next year, i'm planning flying to Hong

Kong
one way. And plan to travel through Chins, Mongolia, Russia, Poland and
through Europe back to the UK.

I know i will need Visa's:-

1) Should i get all the Visa's from the UK?
2) Should i get all the Visa's from Hong Kong?
3) or get the Visa's as i move around the countries, ie get the China and
Mongolian one from Hong Kong, get the Russian one from China?

Ray: I have recent experience of obtaining a Russian tourist visa so I can
comment on that one at any rate. I am a British Citizen living in Northern
Ireland, and had the choice of obtaining the visa from the consulates in
either London or Dublin. I discovered that at the time (2002) each
consulate was free to set their own fees for visas, and the price in Ireland
was considerably less than that in London. In addition, the visa was
processed quite swiftly, presumably because the Dublin consulate has a lot
less traffic. However, I would warn you that in general, the consulate for
nation A in country B may only be able to communicate with you in languages
A and B. So, if you are in China, seeking a Russian visa, for example, you
could have some difficulties unless you are skilled in either Chinese or
Russian. For example, the application forms, etc., may only be available in
the language of the host country and the country in which you find yourself.
Plus, you do need some particular paperwork (for example, confirmation of
hotel reservation) for a Russian visa, which needs to be obtained well in
advance of travel

So, my advice would be to obtain the visas in the UK before you set out, and
then you can relax and enjoy your holiday.

A good resource I have found in the past is http://www.embassyworld.com/

Regards and HTH

Peter

Old March 10th, 2004, 12:27 AM
~~ Ray ~~

for a visa to China it cost about £40 here, i believe i can get one in Hong
Kong for about £18 maybe even cheaper now since we got such a great exchange
rate.

--

Ray -
www.PaperPencils.co.uk

\\ l l l //
(@ @)
____________ oOO-(_)-OOo____________
"mtravelkay" wrote in message
om...

Old March 10th, 2004, 12:31 AM
~~ Ray ~~

i guess im buggered, unless i go on a fast track learning course. I guess
i'll have to dig deep into my pocket then.

Cheers

--

Ray -
www.PaperPencils.co.uk

\\ l l l //
(@ @)
____________ oOO-(_)-OOo____________

Old March 10th, 2004, 07:55 AM
S. WATSON

also countries like china and russia can be
notoriously slow in giving visa's
it took me weeks to get my russian visa, albeit it was a multiple
entry working visa
some countries like the USA will only (in thoery) issue visa s at your
"home country" embassy ie in your case in london
it has been done where we as aircrew have got us visa's in small
country embassys but theyre usually a one off
i am only quoting usa as an example, some of the countries you
mentioned may have the same rules
i think the guy from n ireland may be able to use dublin or london due
to the special circumstances in n ireland, ie the citizens there can
have irish or british passports or both
stan

Old March 10th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Traveller

"~~ Ray ~~" wrote in message
i guess im buggered, unless i go on a fast track learning course. I guess
i'll have to dig deep into my pocket then.

Cheers

--

Ray -

Ray: it shouldn't cost you THAT much to get visas for all these place. On
average I think you'll pay 30 - 50 quid a pop. And of course, no visa
required for Poland.

Old March 10th, 2004, 03:25 PM
david

"Traveller" wrote in message ...
"~~ Ray ~~" wrote in message
i guess im buggered, unless i go on a fast track learning course. I guess
i'll have to dig deep into my pocket then.

Cheers

--

Ray -

Ray: it shouldn't cost you THAT much to get visas for all these place. On
average I think you'll pay 30 - 50 quid a pop. And of course, no visa
required for Poland.

Ray should look at the LonelyPlanet website, where these issues are
constantly discussed. Just for the record: Hong Kong is the best
place anywhere to get a visa for China. There are many disadvantages
to getting all the visas in advance: quite apart from the higher cost
that way, Ray would then be committed to a particular timetable (and
no-one can know in advance how long they will need for China -- apart
from anything else he could well be stuck somewhere for days waiting
for transport to Beijing).

I have visited more than fifty countries and never yet found an
Embassy where English was not spoken: nor have I ever been told to
take my British passport back to London and apply for a visa there.
Rules about only applying for a visa in your home country generally
only apply to nationals of developing countries.
Old March 16th, 2004, 12:49 AM
maryanne kehoe

I would think you need the visas BEFORE you leave, as airlines will not
allow you to board with incomplete documents.

Old March 16th, 2004, 12:51 AM
maryanne kehoe