When to recline?

Old March 19th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Olivers

Default When to recline?

mtravelkay muttered....

Dick Locke wrote:

Quien es mas macho?

Ninguno de los dos hombres es más macho.
Ambos tienen huevos pequeños.

Los gran senores, los pendejo sinhuevos
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:10 PM
EllCarroll

PTRAVEL wrote:

But how soon can you recline?

Why wouldn't an experienced flyer ask the FA on
their next flight, rather than relying on speculation
from the group?

Old March 20th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"PTRAVEL" wrote:

This is NOT a revisist of the recline/don't recline debate. Assume recline
for the purposes of this thread.

Everyone knows when you can use electronics -- there's the double-ding on
most airlines.

Everyone knows when you can get up out of your seat -- the seatbelt light
goes off.

But how soon can you recline? I've gotten into the habit of reclining after
wheels up. However, the FAs can't see me, so I don't know whether I've
"jumped the gun" or not.

Any ideas?

Yup, its not worth worrying about, but if you want a real authoritative
answer, ask a flight attendant on your next flight.
Old March 20th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Steve

"Shawn Hearn" wrote in message
In article ,
"PTRAVEL" wrote:

This is NOT a revisist of the recline/don't recline debate. Assume

recline
for the purposes of this thread.

Everyone knows when you can use electronics -- there's the double-ding

on
most airlines.

Everyone knows when you can get up out of your seat -- the seatbelt

light
goes off.

But how soon can you recline? I've gotten into the habit of reclining

after
wheels up. However, the FAs can't see me, so I don't know whether I've
"jumped the gun" or not.

Any ideas?

Yup, its not worth worrying about, but if you want a real authoritative
answer, ask a flight attendant on your next flight.

My understanding is once you're airborne (wheels up), it's a-ok. If I do
recline, I typically wait until the aircraft starts to level out a bit --
depending upon how steep the climb is. If the rate of climb is steep, I'll
usually hold off a bit (had an empty UA 757 take off like a rocket the other
day with the steepest climb I've seen in some time).

Steve

Old March 22nd, 2004, 03:26 AM
The Grammer Genious

Dick Locke wrote:

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 20:13:20 -0500, The Grammer Genious
wrote:

PTRAVEL wrote:

Okay, next flight I'll make a point of asking if it's you.

And then I'll recline.

Sheesh.

Well, you can try it, but your seat won't move back at all. I
hope you keep trying for a long time. It's fun when that happens.

Quien es mas macho?

Yo. Viva yo.

Old March 25th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Miguel Cruz

The Grammer Genious wrote:
Well, you can try it, but your seat won't move back at all. I
hope you keep trying for a long time. It's fun when that happens.

Had this yesterday. Finally she was almost standing up in her extreme effort
to force the seat back. I knew there was going to be a language barrier so I
didn't bother saying anything; just kept reading my book. Finally she got
up, turned around, and gave me a dirty look. With a wave of my hand I
pointed out that (A) my butt was firmly in the back of my seat (no
slouching) and (B) my knee was firmly wedged against her seatback. I got a
very apologetic, sheepish smile.

On the next leg I got the ol'
wait-until-he-goes-to-the-bathroom-then-recline trick. So I came back and
couldn't sit down without forcing the person's seat forward. I don't get the
thinking on that. Did she imagine I would get shorter in the bathroom?

miguel
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Neville

Miguel Cruz wrote:

The Grammer Genious wrote:
[...]

If you are such a freak of nature that you can't fit into a standard
airline seat without impeding others from fully using the capacities
of the seat they purchased then you should either (A) stop being so
cheap and purchase a ticket in one of the premium classes which have
more room or (B) use alternate methods of transportation or (C) stay
home.

Your aberrant body dimensions are no excuse to mistreat others or
interfere with the enjoyment of the facilities they have paid for. If
you are abnormal, then you should suffer, not them.
Old March 25th, 2004, 03:47 AM
Miguel Cruz

Neville wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
Had this yesterday. Finally she was almost standing up in her extreme
effort to force the seat back. I knew there was going to be a language
barrier so I didn't bother saying anything; just kept reading my book.
Finally she got up, turned around, and gave me a dirty look. With a wave
of my hand I pointed out that (A) my butt was firmly in the back of my
seat (no slouching) and (B) my knee was firmly wedged against her
seatback. I got a very apologetic, sheepish smile.

If you are such a freak of nature that you can't fit into a standard
airline seat without impeding others from fully using the capacities of
the seat they purchased then you should either (A) stop being so cheap and
purchase a ticket in one of the premium classes which have more room

That costs 10 times as much.

or (B) use alternate methods of transportation

To cross an ocean?

or (C) stay home.

No thanks.

Your aberrant body dimensions are no excuse to mistreat others

Mistreat others?

or interfere with the enjoyment of the facilities they have paid for. If
you are abnormal, then you should suffer, not them.

Trust me, I'm suffering every minute of the flight either way.

I equalize the karma by never reclining myself, so the person behind me gets
a bonus.

miguel
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:17 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Get lost Neville. If you insist on reclining your seat then spend the
money for a higher class seat where there is space to recline without
crushing the person behind. FFM

Old March 27th, 2004, 07:38 PM
jenn

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Neville wrote:

Miguel Cruz wrote:

[...]

so the person in front of you should have to sit bolt upright across an
ocean because you can't fit into the seat? I realize that you can't
help being tall but the airline should have to deal with this -- not the
person who is taking a long flight and should have full use of their seat.

I would have a screaming headache after about two hours in one of those
excruciatingly uncomfortable hunched over straight up airline seats.

or (C) stay home.

No thanks.