What's happened to this group?

Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:22 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default What's happened to this group?

There used to be fifty posts a day here, now we are lucky if we have
that many in a week. What's happened?
--
Ha en god dag/Have a nice day

Geir
No matter where you go, there you are

Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:54 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

"Geir" geirertz-nospam æt mac.com schreef in bericht
There used to be fifty posts a day here, now we are lucky if we have
that many in a week. What's happened?
--
Ha en god dag/Have a nice day

Geir
No matter where you go, there you are

Good question. 3 years ago this NG was alive. Don't know, perhaps the forums
on the internet?

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:50 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Hi all,

if any forums or similar, please share with the group... don't be mean!!!
:-)))
I promise I will put my posts on as soon as I come back from Kenya
Cheers,
Seb

Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:18 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message
"Corné" wrote:

"Geir" geirertz-nospam æt mac.com schreef in bericht
There used to be fifty posts a day here, now we are lucky if we have
that many in a week. What's happened?

Good question. 3 years ago this NG was alive. Don't know, perhaps the forums
on the internet?

That's possibly true.
When most people were on dial-up, Usenet was much quicker to use, but
now with more people being on broadband, the forums won't seem such a
drag.

The other thing might be that since the group has been going for a
while, it might be that the archives on google.groups are much bigger,
so people with a basic question can find their answer by looking there
rather than posting their question here?

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz: http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:01 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

On 2005-11-23 22:18:04 +0100, Liz said:

In message
"Corné" wrote:

"Geir" geirertz-nospam æt mac.com schreef in bericht
There used to be fifty posts a day here, now we are lucky if we have
that many in a week. What's happened?

Good question. 3 years ago this NG was alive. Don't know, perhaps the forums
on the internet?

That's possibly true.
When most people were on dial-up, Usenet was much quicker to use, but
now with more people being on broadband, the forums won't seem such a
drag.

The other thing might be that since the group has been going for a
while, it might be that the archives on google.groups are much bigger,
so people with a basic question can find their answer by looking there
rather than posting their question here?

Slainte

Liz

Sad, really, because I find this the most fun and lively way of using the net.

Old November 24th, 2005, 06:43 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Liz, I think you're on the button here.

Also, forums are much "sexier" in presentation, with fancy screens,
nice colours etc.

Perhaps Usenet has passed it's "sell by" date?

I'll still be here for a while though :-)

Marc - Johannesburg

Old December 1st, 2005, 09:03 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 20:50:30 +0100, "Jims"
wrote:

Hi all,

if any forums or similar, please share with the group... don't be mean!!!
:-)))

Hi Seb

We have an Africa Travel Forum over at
http://www.aardvarktravel.net/chat/viewforum.php?f=1 (as well as other
travel forums at http://www.aardvarktravel.net/chat/ )

I think where forums win over Usenet is in their moderation. Usenet
attracts way too much spam for my liking and nobody seems to be able
to do anything about it.

Aaron

--
Travel forums - http://www.aardvarktravel.net/chat