Copenhagen for teenager?

Old September 23rd, 2003, 08:40 AM
Traveler

Default Copenhagen for teenager?

As suggested by someone else, your daughter would probably enjoy shopping.
My 12-year-old daughter has clearly indicated she would prefer shopping or
rock concerts over any museum, art gallery, or church.

Copenhagen has the Stroget and surrounding areas with many interesting shops
(that is, if someone can stand shopping, which I barely can). I know my
daughter would have had a great time being let loose here with a credit
card, but few have a budget to support that. Your daughter might also like
Ripley's Believe It or Not (my daughter thought this sounded great when she
heard about it). I thought it was silly, but I can see a kid liking it, and
I know some adults even like it. Perhaps she would like IMAX and the
Planetarium. If she has an interest in castles, there are several nearby. If
you stay in a hostel like Danhostel Amager, she might meet several kids her
own age. Give her a few guidebooks and see if anything catches her eye.

In the case of my daughter, she's made it clear that international trips are
not really what she is interested in now. I'm not worried - I'm sure that
will come later, but in the meantime I'd rather not spend the money on
something she would not really enjoy. The plane ride over is not fun,
especially if you come from the west coast like we do. It's worth it if you
want to get there, but otherwise not. Does your daughter actually want to
go?

My 16-year-old son also is not keen on museums, art galleries, or churches,
but he was super-keen on walking extensively around various neighborhoods,
visiting new and used bookstores, searching down places for dinner, and
speaking Danish (which he had learned from his dad). He also liked Helsingor
and the castle, and Roskilde (although he had very little interest in the
museum or cathedral, but liked the town). He was also old enough to leave on
his own to a certain extent. I don't think I would do that with a
13-year-old.

Traveler

"Dave Smith" wrote in
:

Do you have any suggestions as to what activities/sights may be
ideal for a 13 year old girl who tells me off for visiting
museums, art galleries and churches!

Old September 23rd, 2003, 04:18 PM
Dave Smith

Many thanks for all your help. A shame about Tivoli - it would have been
right up her street. At least now I have something to bargain with though!
Dave

Old September 23rd, 2003, 11:08 PM
Tim Vanhoof

Dave Smith wrote:

Do you have any suggestions as to what activities/sights may be ideal for a
13 year old girl who tells me off for visiting museums, art galleries and
churches!
Many thanks
Dave

Leave her at home in front of the TV until she's old enough to be
interested in that kind of thing ;-)
Old September 24th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Giovanni Drogo

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Tim Vanhoof wrote:

Leave her at home in front of the TV until she's old enough to be
interested in that kind of thing ;-)

But in that case will she ever grow CLEVER enough to appreciate
travelling ? :-(

Old September 24th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Lost For Life

Giovanni Drogo wrote in message ...
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Tim Vanhoof wrote:

Leave her at home in front of the TV until she's old enough to be
interested in that kind of thing ;-)

But in that case will she ever grow CLEVER enough to appreciate
travelling ? :-(

I was dragged to Indonesia when I was about 10 years old, and hated
it. Now I hate staying in one place for more that a few months. Travel
is an addiction like any other - unpleasant at first, but can lead to
an all encompassing habit before you know it. I consider it a curse in
many regards.

Still, it's better than heroin, or so I keep telling myself! )
---
DFM