Luggage Tags????

Old February 13th, 2008, 03:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Luggage Tags????

I assume that clippers are not among the
items banned by the TSA?

We were fortunate in that we didn't have to fly to get to the port (SF),
so we didn't have to deal with airline restrictions. If we had, it
wouldn't have been difficult to find something to clip the zip ties with
once we got on the ship.

Diva

--

DivaMagenta @}{~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Religion is man's futile attempt to reach out to God, trying to earn
His favor. Christianity is the good news that God has reached out in
love to us through His Son, because He knows that our arms are not long
enough..."

My Homepage:
http://www.geocities.com/sistermagenta

My Dark Shadows Page:
http://community.webtv.net/DivaMagen...arkShadowsPage

My Sha Na Na Page:
http://www.geocities.com/sistermagenta/shanana.html

Old February 16th, 2008, 03:00 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 14:56:48 -0700, (chatty cathy)
wrote:

Ok everyone i want to know if you buy already made tags for your luggage
or do any of you make yours ?
How do you make your luggage stand out among the thousands in the
dock..?
Do you use locks or do they make you unlock them to check luggage?
thanks....chatty cathy

I use strategically placed patches of reflective safety tape. They
are in a particular pattern and color that I can discern easily at a
distance coming down the belt. Set at the corners and along the
backside (90 per cent of all luggage seems to come down the belt face
down and handle on the far side from you..grin) I can see it no matter
the orientation of the bag.

I alsio put our intiials in large 4" reflective foil letters ($.50 ea
at any hardware store) on an area where they don't usualy get rubbed
off (up by the handles on top works for me) so thet even the stupidest
person is likely to notice and go "Say...my name is Hank
Schnarkerveldt...when did I put the initials JP on my bag?...ohhhh,,
maybe this isn't my bag." I watched someone do this on the far side
of the belt once, but the dim-bulb just left the bag sitting there
rather than actually put it back on the belt..thanks loads....as soon
as they noticed it wasn't theirs, they lost interest in it..thank god
they figured this out before they left with it or they'd have probably
tossed it out the car window on the side of the freeway...I had a
couple of our other bags with me so I couldn't just run over there had
they tried to leave with it and it was far enough off that yelling
would likely have been futile.

So stay alert...even if you put an audio chip and speaker in the thing
that loudly anmnounces every ten seconds "This bag belongs to Jim
Penrose!" in six languages..*someone* is going to sooner or later
start to walk off with it.

Jim Penrose
Old February 16th, 2008, 03:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 15:04:03 -0800, "Sam"
wrote:

link did not work. Try www.ablelabels.com
On Feb 9 2008 10:22 AM, James wrote:

"chatty cathy" wrote in message

snipped
How do you make your luggage stand out among the thousands in the
dock..?
snipped
thanks....chatty cathy

We use luggage straps w/ last name woven into strap.
such as www.ablelabels.com/luggage

_________________________________________________ ___________________*

Problem these days with luggage straps is that if the fun folk in TSA
are feeling a wee bit lazy, they may just snip them off to inspect or
may not bother to re-attach them, re-attach them to the wrong bag or
they may snag in the bowels of the airport and get shorn off and since
you're geared to look for the belt, you'll stand there for an hour
while your bag whizzes by, waving at you sadly every time it goes by
and you won't notice except to say "Boy that looks like my bag..sure
glad *mine* has a snappy belt around it."

Jim Penrose
Old February 16th, 2008, 03:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 05:14:29 GMT, Bill wrote:

wrote:

Instead of locks, we followed a suggestion I read online to secure our
bags with zip ties. Security can cut them open if needed without losing
a lock.(I carried clippers in my carryon, along with extra zip ties to
secure the bags for the return trip).

I assume that clippers are not among the items banned by the
TSA?

Bill

They were for a good while when the nonsense first began. I suspect
some people ended up having to chew through the zip ties on the far
end to get at their clothes..grin.

Jim P.
Old February 16th, 2008, 03:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 04:23:00 GMT, Bill wrote:

sue mullen wrote:

Bill wrote:
sue mullen wrote:
Bill wrote:
wrote:
Instead of locks, we followed a suggestion I read online to secure our
bags with zip ties. Security can cut them open if needed without losing
a lock.(I carried clippers in my carryon, along with extra zip ties to
secure the bags for the return trip).
I assume that clippers are not among the items banned by the
TSA?
Used to be that they were not allowed in your carryon, but that might of
changed. I always put nail clippers in an outside pocket of our checked
luggage.

sue

Yeah, I just looked it up and it does appear that they are
allowed (the TSA's own website says so), although I found a
website posting from 2005 where someone claimed they had them
confiscated on two occasions.

I know that originally they weren't allowed, so it is very likely that
in 2005 they were confiscated.

sue

No, the posting said that the person discovered after they were
confiscated that they WERE allowed and was thinking they would
bring a copy of the regulations the next time.

Bill

Don't bother quoting regs to the TSA people unless you *want* to spend
a fun afternoon not flying. Read all the way down the regs about what
is and is not allowed to the section that says "These are guidelines
not a definitive list and the inspecting officer has final authority
to override them and to make the decision as to what is or is not
allowable." or words to that close effect.

Jim P.