NEW VIRUS WORM AUTOMAT AHB

Old September 20th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Default NEW VIRUS WORM AUTOMAT AHB

Because his address is in the address book of windows users. FFM

JohnDoe wrote:
and just how does windows cause this, if it was windows fault and you
don't use windows how come you are affected?

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:39:31 GMT, (Miguel Cruz) wrote:
Those of us who don't use Windows sometimes get testy because we have to put
up with all the crap (like the approximately ten thousand bogus messages
I've received in the past couple months) caused by people careless enough to
leave Windows installed on their computers.

Old September 20th, 2003, 06:13 AM
Miguel Cruz

Default OT was NEW VIRUS WORM AUTOMAT AHB

Barnaby wrote:
AAMOI, Miguel, are most of yours coming through with a "No Subject"
subject line? Nearly all of mine are.

About 1/5 of mine are. Supposedly the subject lines are constructed from a
few parts stored in the worm's code:

https://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/swen.shtml

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 20th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Elaine

"Bob Fusillo" wrote in message
et...
I updated NAV twice this a.m. and have gotten a dozen or more of the
messages since then, with not a peep from NAV.

We did a routine NAV update about 2/3 days ago and it was still getting
through up till this morning. Just done another update and it seems to be
picking it up now.

Elaine

Old September 20th, 2003, 09:33 AM
KSK

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:10:21 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

tile wrote:

this is a very dangerous virus
propagating as a MS service pack, an undelivered message, and so on

do not open files ..
NAV finds and eliminates it.

No it doesn't! I use "Live Update" at least once a week, and it has yet
to detect any of these.

Evelyn,
I have Symantec Systemworks 5.0 which has NAV and so far it has caught
all the viruses and quarantined them. Have you checked to make sure
that you set the options to enable the incoming e-mail scan?

Karen
Old September 20th, 2003, 02:25 PM
devil

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:39:31 +0000, Miguel Cruz wrote:

Bob Fusillo wrote:
"Miguel Cruz" wrote:
I've received close to 1000 since yesterday. I really am starting to think
that Windows should be banned from the internet.

Why are you blaming Windows?

All of these things are spread because (A) Windows is full of holes, and (B)
Windows users never update their software.

Those of us who don't use Windows sometimes get testy because we have to put
up with all the crap (like the approximately ten thousand bogus messages
I've received in the past couple months) caused by people careless enough to
leave Windows installed on their computers.

Windows *is* the virus. At least in the larger scheme of things. It's
too easy to ascribe the blame to the small time jerks who play with the
holes. In truth, the guilt *must* be ascribed to Billy boy. At least he
should know better.

Designing Windows such that it is pathetically susceptible got to be a
conscious design decision. (If it is not, then it's even worse. I can't
believe they could be that clueless.)

Old September 20th, 2003, 02:28 PM
devil

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 23:13:25 -0400, Trudi Marrapodi wrote:

To my mind, the biggest hole in any computer's operating system is the one
in the head of the person sitting at the keyboard, who doesn't know better
than to open file attachments and download willy-nilly everything that
someone appears to have sent him.

No. E-mail was not supposed to carry executable attachemnts until Billy
boy came around and messed things up. In his quest to hijack the agenda,
that is.