Trouble at Pearson Airport

Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Default Trouble at Pearson Airport

I assume this will be true for all Canadian travellers heading to the
States.

My son, his girlfriend and another couple (all in their 20's) were
headed to Hawaii to stay with our in-laws, who were picking them up at
the Kona airport. (Yeah, I know it's a tough life, anyway...). [Problem
#1]On arrival at Pearson to board a United Airlines flight (Terminal 3,
I believe) they were told the flight was actually an Air Canada flight
out of Terminal 1. So they had to hustle over there - that cost some
time. From now on they will check the GTAA site for flight information.
[Problem #2] When lining up for their boarding pass they had to fill
out a computerized on-line form with their travel details including the
street address of where they were staying. Well, they had no idea of
the address since they were being picked up by family. Nobody was around
who could/would help them (or others who were also having trouble with
the system). So they phoned home (us) to ask for the address. Since
the in-laws live on the less developed Big Island all we had was a PO
Box number for them - these country roads they live on don't use street
numbers like subdivision housing. The computer would not accept PO
numbers. More delays. Finally they somehow got that solved but more
time was wasted. [Problem #3} They got their pass and hustled to the
check-in; there friends were in line slightly ahead of them and got
through, then the officials stopped the line and said my son was too
late to board. WHAT!?!? My son went ballistic (luckily, in a calm
airport-type way). He explained their problems - no sympathy. They
explained their friends were 30 seconds ahead of them, got on board, but
would not know who was waiting for them in Hawaii, - more time past.
Then after breaking nearly into tears after all that - someone relented
and let them on-board. What an experience!

But they did have a great two and a half weeks on the Big Island.

That is as much as I know about the incident but... Geez! Better know
the address of where you're going, I guess.

Sawyer Nicknames - http://sawyer.xtreemhost.com/
Seinfeld Lists - http://seinfeld.xtreemhost.com/
Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" schrieb

On arrival at Pearson to board a United Airlines flight (Terminal 3,
I believe) they were told the flight was actually an Air Canada flight
out of Terminal 1. So they had to hustle over there - that cost some
time.

I had a similar experience in Amsterdam last time I changed flights
there.

Better know
the address of where you're going, I guess.

Be inventive! Someting like "2537, 32 St., [town of your choice]" will
suffice, I guess. They don't want to send you a postcard, they only
want something written in that stupid form ;-)

Jochen

#1]On arrival at Pearson to board a United Airlines flight (Terminal 3,
I believe) they were told the flight was actually an Air Canada flight
out of Terminal 1. *So they had to hustle over there - that cost some
time. *From now on they will check the GTAA site for flight information..

Yes that's happened before as United and Air Canada code share.

* [Problem #2] When lining up for their boarding pass they had to fill
out a computerized on-line form with their travel details including the
street address of where they were staying. *Well, they had no idea of
the address since they were being picked up by family. Nobody was around
who could/would help them (or others who were also having trouble with
the system). *So they phoned home (us) to ask for the address. *Since
the in-laws live on the less developed Big Island all we had was a PO
Box number for them - these country roads they live on don't use street
numbers like subdivision housing. The computer would not accept PO
numbers. More delays. *Finally they somehow got that solved but more
time was wasted. *

I guess neither of you are experienced with international travel.
Next time just tell them it's the Kona Hilton or some other well known
hotel. I have done that plenty of time when entering a foreign
country.

[Problem #3} They got their pass and hustled to the
check-in; there friends were in line slightly ahead of them and got
through, then the officials stopped the line and said my son was too
late to board. *WHAT!?!? My son went ballistic (luckily, in a calm
airport-type way). *He explained their problems - no sympathy. *They
explained their friends were 30 seconds ahead of them, got on board, but
would not know who was waiting for them in Hawaii, - more time past.
Then after breaking nearly into tears after all that - someone relented
and let them on-board. *What an experience!

I don't know what happened there. They stopped the line? I have
never experienced that. Usually when you are in line you get in. The
story is not as what you said here.

--