Tokyo with a Very Young Child

Old September 18th, 2003, 10:05 PM
PTRAVEL

Default Tokyo with a Very Young Child

"Gerry Scott-Moore" wrote in message
d...
In article , PTRAVEL
wrote:

Accepted by whom? The airlines permit lap children under the age of 2.
Though it's not the safest thing in the world for the kids, it's not too
unbearable for short hops. For long hauls, being a stranger seated next

a parent with a lap child is miserable.

If inflicted misery is the key then perhaps fat folks and large folk
and people with gas problems should be considerate and take a bus, no?

Perhaps, perhaps not. We weren't talking about fat people, large people,
people with bad breath, people who talk loudly on cellphones, people who
bring too many carryons, or a plethora of other passenger-induced miseries
that accompany flying. We were talking about one: forcing someone to sit
next to someone with a lapchild on a long-haul flight. Or are you simply of
the, "other people are rude and inconsiderate, so it's okay if I am, too"
school?

--
///---

Old September 18th, 2003, 11:53 PM
John W.

Gerry Scott-Moore wrote:
In article , John W.
wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how many children do you have? From what
you've written it sounds like the answer is 'none'.

Why, because I never addressed children? Right you are.

Either that or you have plenty of money, because not paying for seat
tickets for children is a VERY well accepted practice.

I never once spoke to the issue of NOT buying tickets for children. My
point was strictly about "bookending" seats. We do this when we can in
order to more comfortably sleep through long flights.

Wasn't replying to you, but point taken.

John W.

Old September 18th, 2003, 11:55 PM
John W.

PTRAVEL wrote:
"John W." wrote in message

because not paying for seat tickets for children is a VERY well
accepted practice.

Accepted by whom? The airlines permit lap children under the age of
2. Though it's not the safest thing in the world for the kids, it's
not too unbearable for short hops. For long hauls, being a stranger
seated next to a parent with a lap child is miserable.

Budget travelers with families, something that you probably wouldn't
know about because you don't have a family. But if you search through
some books and Web sites, you'll most likely find that info.

John W.

Old September 18th, 2003, 11:55 PM
John W.

mag3 wrote:
Quoting "PTRAVEL" regarding Tokyo with a Very
Young Child in a message dated Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:05:36 -0600:

Well, it corresponds to mine. I fly Northwest to/through Tokyo, and the
flights I've been on ran full, or darn close to it.

And to mine as well, having just done it about a month ago. Flight was 80%
full in Bus. First, about 60-70% full in Economy. Return flight was 95% full
in Bus. First, maybe 60% in Economy.

Just a note on this. If you think just over half the seats occupied is
full, then I will have to agree with you....

John W.

Old September 18th, 2003, 11:59 PM
John W.

PTRAVEL wrote:
"John W." wrote in message

PTRAVEL wrote:

"John W." wrote in message

Finally, on the plan
MAKE SURE you DO NOT buy a seat for your child (unless money isn't an
issue). You and your husband need to reserve an aisle and window seat;
unless the plane is just packed the middle seat probably won't be
booked, especially if you get to the airport early. We've never had an
issue, and while our child was under the required 'seat reservation' age
we flew a dozen or more times.

What horrible (and selfish) advice. Most flights run full these days.

What

you propose will, almost certainly, result in some poor ******* being

stuck

between you and your wife, while you shuttle your child back-and-forth

hold on your laps. Subjecting someone to that on a short flight would

be

simply rude. On a long-haul, it's entirely unacceptable.

Why? I know LOT'S of people (with or without kids) that follow this very
common, very acceptable practice. Do you want to sit between two people
on a plane if you have a choice? Of course not. And if you object, then
the couple will always give you the seat of your choice so they can sit
next to each other.

And that's the whole point -- if it's just a couple, then it's solely a
question of who sits where. When a couple plays this game with an infant,
there are four people jockeying for three seats.

I disagree, and should probably leave it at that; but of course I won't
. At check in the agent typically does everything possible to keep
that seat empty; middle seats are without question the least desirable
for most individual travelers, and on a flight that is 75% "full" it
isn't an issue to leave one middle seat empty. Is this airline policy?
Don't know.

John W.

Old September 19th, 2003, 12:44 AM
PTRAVEL

"John W." wrote in message
PTRAVEL wrote:
"John W." wrote in message

because not paying for seat tickets for children is a VERY well
accepted practice.

Accepted by whom? The airlines permit lap children under the age of
2. Though it's not the safest thing in the world for the kids, it's
not too unbearable for short hops. For long hauls, being a stranger
seated next to a parent with a lap child is miserable.

Budget travelers with families, something that you probably wouldn't
know about because you don't have a family.

Of course I have a family. I just don't have children. What an incredibly
presumptious thing to say.

But if you search through
some books and Web sites, you'll most likely find that info.

Find what info? I don't need to search websites to know about the safety
hazard to the children -- that's been discussed numerous times on
rec.travel.air, including input from flight attendants. If you were
referring to the "miserable experience" part, I don't need to research it --
I've been an unwilling participant in the real thing on enough occassions.

John W.

Old September 19th, 2003, 12:46 AM
PTRAVEL

"John W." wrote in message
PTRAVEL wrote:
"John W." wrote in message

PTRAVEL wrote:

"John W." wrote in message

[...]

I'm sure you're quite right, and don't disagree with anything you've written
(here, in this specific post). Airlines permit lapchildren. I never
suggested they didn't. My response to the original poster was directed, not
at a violation of airline policy (it's not), but at his/her willingness to
impose on other travelers.

John W.

Old September 19th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Gerry Scott-Moore

In article , Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:45:32 -0700, the renowned Gerry Scott-Moore
wrote:

In article , PTRAVEL
wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how many children do you have? From what
you've written it sounds like the answer is 'none'.

Right.

Either that or you have plenty of money,

And that may be related to not having any children.

You guys want to open another topic to ruminate on my family?

Child-hating travellers should eventually be eliminated from the gene
pool. Your DNA will hit a cul-de-sac. ;-)

Child-hater. As yet I haven't spoken of children!?

--
///---
Old September 19th, 2003, 03:17 AM
Gerry Scott-Moore

In article , PTRAVEL
wrote:

We were talking about one: forcing someone to sit next to someone
with a lapchild on a long-haul flight.

I never takied about that. I was talking about book-ending seats.

Or are you simply of the, "other people are rude and inconsiderate,
so it's okay if I am, too" school?

I think you need to find somebody to beat up on that is talking about
the same thing.

--
///---
Old September 19th, 2003, 04:12 AM
PTRAVEL

wrote:

We were talking about one: forcing someone to sit next to someone
with a lapchild on a long-haul flight.

I never takied about that. I was talking about book-ending seats.

Or are you simply of the, "other people are rude and inconsiderate,
so it's okay if I am, too" school?

I think you need to find somebody to beat up on that is talking about
the same thing.

If I've confused you with the OP, my apologies.

--
///---