Chirac warns of 'African flood'

Old July 15th, 2006, 07:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.misc
Mxsmanic

Default Chirac warns of 'African flood'

Jim Ley writes:

How much what?

How much do we have in the way of resources in the world, and how many
people will it support, and with what standard of living?

I have no idea what a "and with what standard of living?" can apply to
an exactly ...

I agree.

Old July 15th, 2006, 07:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.misc
Mxsmanic

Jim Ley writes:

Let's
be clear controlling family size is not a sensible solution for
African poverty.

Why not?

Old July 15th, 2006, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.misc
Jim Ley

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:57:01 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Jim Ley writes:

Which was covered, it does nothing to provide for the rest of the
population as they age.

You cannot provide for the aged through a spiral of ever-increasing
population, either. Handling the aged is a matter of raising the
standard of living, and increasing the population is in direct
conflict with this goal.

No it's not, you're confusing things, releiving poverty causes a
reduction in birth rates - the population ages, that's simply a result
of improved life expectancy, it's not the other way around, no country
ever got rich by killing all its children.

If you don't control population, eventually everyone will be living in
poverty, and then they will starve.

That's an interesting conclusion, and one that seems likely,
especially as it was forecast in the 60's and 70's to be true by now,
but it far from happened, indeed we are still having to limit food
production. whilst of course you might be true in the extreme that
infinite population growth is a problem (although everyone wouldn't
die of starvation obviously) It's not a problem we're remotely
approaching now, and certainly not something worth be concerned with
now. Reducing poverty is a much more important aim.

Jim.
Old July 15th, 2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.misc
Jim Ley

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:59:29 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Jim Ley writes:
... the not having any more born was covered too ...

Covered?

Yes, the post dealt with it, you just chose to ignore it.

... it's just as a naiive solution as you normally come up
with.

If you don't control births and you don't kill anyone, nature will
kill everyone.

No it won't, that's simply not true

It's hard to decrease poverty when the population is doubling every
few years and more than half the people alive are still dependents
themselves.

Except of course many communities in the world have done it without a
problem, all the rich countries we have now had growing populations as
they became rich...

Not let people have any children for the "greater good" ?

No. I think people should be restricted in the number of children
they can have,

So you do believe in controlling the individuals ability to have
children for a "greater good" ? If you had to pick a political
ideology that had similar beliefs, which would you choose?

Jim.
Old July 15th, 2006, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.misc
Jim Ley

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:00:22 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Jim Ley writes:

How much what?

How much do we have in the way of resources in the world,

in practical terms, much more than we need.

and how many people will it support, and with what standard of living?

I answered those...

Jim.
Old July 15th, 2006, 07:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.misc
Jim Ley

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 20:02:21 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Jim Ley writes:

Let's
be clear controlling family size is not a sensible solution for
African poverty.

Why not?

Because it it's not the cause of poverty, it's a by product of the
poverty which leads to high mortality rates. You need to fight the
causes.

Jim.
Old July 15th, 2006, 08:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.misc
JohnT[_1_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Jim Ley writes:

Rubbish, whilst there is not an infinite amount of resources, there is
certainly more than enough for much larger population than the earth
has now.

How much, exactly, and with what standard of living?

A lot, and with a quality of life at least the equal of yours.

JohnT

Old July 15th, 2006, 08:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.misc
JohnT[_1_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

I think people should be restricted in the number of children
they can have, but obviously reproduction cannot be completely
prohibited.

Why "obviously"?

JohnT

Old July 15th, 2006, 08:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.misc
B Vaughan

On 15 Jul 2006 00:59:51 -0700, "Hooverphonic"
wrote:

B Vaughan wrote:
On 14 Jul 2006 12:01:22 -0700, "Hooverphonic"
wrote:

but if I look at what is on the news about Africa its always doom and
gloom from a people / wildlife / environment perspective.

if the population is going up there will only be less to go round and
they will remain in poverty, with wildlife and environment suffering
the consequences.

Africa is at present not very densely populated, though, so population
increase doesn't necessarily mean that the environment will be
trashed. Also each African represents a tiny percentage of the world's
energy consumption compared to a European or an American. I remember
how very dark the nights were in Zambia, even near cities, and how
luminous the stars were as a consequence. It was really a beautiful
country, red soil, dark green vegetation, very blue rivers and skies.

However, rapid growth means an ever-increasing burden on schools,
hospitals, and other resources. The last I heard, though, growth is
slowing down, mainly due to decreases in fertility.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old July 15th, 2006, 08:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.misc
B Vaughan

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 12:03:01 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Hooverphonic writes:

if the population is going up there will only be less to go round and
they will remain in poverty, with wildlife and environment suffering
the consequences.

Correct. That's the problem with overpopulation anywhere (including
on the planet as a whole).

Except that Africa as a whole (aside from certain cities) is not very
densely populated.