Cruise Critic, Banned!

Old January 5th, 2013, 07:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Cruise Critic, Banned!

On Saturday, January 5, 2013 10:31:46 AM UTC-8, Charles wrote:
In article ,

wrote:

I was just curious if this banning is common? I've gotten along swell

without Cruise Critic for nearly all my life, and I'm sure we'll both

continue to get along fine without each other in the future. One just has to

wonder how objective the reviews are on CC and TripAdvisor, if some voices are censored.

Cruise Critic is heavily moderated and they are aggressive about

deleting pots and threads. Never heard of a lifetime ban. Have to

wonder what you said. I will look at those threads but i assume they

also deleted your posts.

--

Charles

Cruise Critic name is SusanSmithJr
Old January 5th, 2013, 09:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

wrote:

I was just curious if this banning is common? I've gotten along swell

without Cruise Critic for nearly all my life, and I'm sure we'll both

continue to get along fine without each other in the future. One just has

wonder how objective the reviews are on CC and TripAdvisor, if some
voices are censored.

Cruise Critic is heavily moderated and they are aggressive about

deleting pots and threads. Never heard of a lifetime ban. Have to

wonder what you said. I will look at those threads but i assume they

also deleted your posts.

--

Charles

Cruise Critic name is SusanSmithJr

I found posts by you in the Princess Norovirus thread but I could not
find the Islamic post. It must have been removed. You did title one of
your posts "Will this message also be removed?" Something you were
posting must have been determined by them to be very offensive for them
to ban you. Or the other reason they ban besides advertising is if they
find you are posting under more than one screen name.

As I mentioned they moderate very aggressively. They are a money making
site and sell ads selling cruises so none should expect their community
is not about their bottom line.

--
Charles
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:02 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Stefan Patric[_3_]

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 09:03:48 -0800, wilma6116 wrote:

I just wanted to know if I am the only one. Seems like I might be. What
a distinction, even Hitler wasn't banned from Cruise Critic!

And I say fine. It was just a big waste of time. How often can I read
the food was "yummy" and the beds were "comfy"?

I'm thinking cruising is for people afraid of the real world.
Everything is planned and controled. There is no place on the ship to
get a picture that hasn't been taken a hundred times before. The crew
are all programed to respond politely. Even the port stops are a
controlled experience. No wonder the old folks at CC were afraid of me.

I went on two fine cruises. I've also been to DisneyWorld. They were
memorable, controled experiences, but I have no desire to repeat them.
I have other adventures to explore before my time is up here.

As for suing them, it is not my desire. If some lawyer has nothing
better to do, I'd lend my name just for the experience.

At the very least, you should contact Cruise Critic in writing for the
reason you were banned. Could be you were mistakenly banned. It happens.

Stef
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
rec.travel.cruises[_3_]

On Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:48:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Your posting privileges have been suspended for the following reason:

No reason was specified.

Date the suspension will be lifted: Never

Anyone else suspended? For life!!!

Comeon, you know you were told what you did to get yourself banned. What is your user name on Cruise Critic. I'll email them and complain that they banned you for "no" reason given. hahahahaha
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Monday, January 7, 2013 2:16:35 PM UTC-8, rec.travel.cruises wrote:
On Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:48:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Your posting privileges have been suspended for the following reason:

No reason was specified.

Date the suspension will be lifted: Never

Anyone else suspended? For life!!!

Comeon, you know you were told what you did to get yourself banned. What is your user name on Cruise Critic. I'll email them and complain that they banned you for "no" reason given. hahahahaha

Read the posts. I posted my user name. I cut and pasted the screen I get if I even try to get on the community board. I recieved no e-mails, and I no longer recieve 'exclusive member' offers from every third world rust bucket in cahoots with CC.

I no longer care, it's not such a big deal. I tried cruise ships, it was fun, but there are other things I want to do.

I don't have the need to warn everyone about cruise ships. They are a opretty good deal. It is a way to meet people from all over the world (on board) who don't want to slit your throat and steal your wallet. Pretty good deal for $11.50 per day in tips.

The vacation I took previous to cruising was to Deadwood, SD where I played poker near where Wild Bill died.

Before that I went camping near Death Valley, no room stewert, but lots of peace and quiet.

There are plenty of things to do for $100/day dbl occ.

But if you want to start a petition to have me re-instated on The Critic, god bless you.
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:35 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

We can't see though what was in any removed posts.

I would contact them because it is possible you are not banned since
they did not send you a message giving a reason from the moderators. My
understanding is that they have give reasons in the past. On another
cruise site where there were a number of Cruise Critic refugees that
migrated there after they got into a spat with the moderators about off
topic posts and were banned, they posted the messages they got from the
moderators which gave reasons. That message could be in error that you
get when you try and get on the board. That kind of message is likely
being generated because of the IP address you are using. That IP
address might have been used by someone else in the past who was
banned. (IP addresses get reused by many ISP's). Any chance you are
using a proxy server or VPN?

--
Charles
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Monday, January 7, 2013 5:35:54 PM UTC-8, Charles wrote:

[...]

About half of what I posted was removed each time (about two hundred posts total, as I seem to not have a life).

There were two topics they removed often. One had to do with the fact that I thought not have a hand-held shower was unsanitary. I am willing to do without a bidet, but the absence of a hand-held is too much. Also, it may be why Princess has more Noro virus problems.

The other bone of contention was my sense of humor. I offered that giving religous tracts in lieu of cas tips was a GREAT idea. The costs can be as little as a penny a piece, but could save someone from an unattractive eternity. A win/win situation! Otherwise, just pay the tips and don't get all fancy with gift certificates or home-made fudge.

The first round of umbrage I experience there, was when I bragged I bought gifts of diamonds and gold for friends. In Alaska, the t-shirt shops have "black diamond" necklaces for a buck, and little vials of gold flakes for two. You'd have thought I had personally wrung the neck of the baby Jebus by the response I got for that. That'll teach me not to shop Diamonds International.

I think people who cruise are looking for a "safe" holiday. Those who frequent CC are looking for a safe internet experience. I guess I just rocked the boat too much for their delicate nature.
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:50 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

I think all kinds of people cruise with various types of holidays in
mind. Those who post on Cruise Critic are looking for information. The
aggressive moderation is due to the fact that it is a commercial
enterprise and that they are trying to sell cruises and advertising to
cruise lines. It is what it is.if you are going on a cruise you can get
useful information. Don't be confused by the "Critic" part of their
name. They are part of the Cruise industry.

Sounds like your posts about Alaska were funny. I hated seeing Diamonds
International and their ilk at the Alaska ports.

I don't see why hand held showers would have anything to do with Noro.
Could you illuminate me on your theory about that? Also cruise lines
with hand held showers have Noro. And I don't think Noro outbreaks on
Princess are more or less than on other cruise lines.

--
Charles
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:50:50 PM UTC-8, Charles wrote:

I don't see why hand held showers would have anything to do with Noro.

Could you illuminate me on your theory about that? Also cruise lines

with hand held showers have Noro. And I don't think Noro outbreaks on

Princess are more or less than on other cruise lines.

I can't access the CC community boards, but it was presented as fact that Princess had an excess amount of Noro outbreaks.

It either has to be the customers, the staff, the supplies, or the ship. I have only cruised twice, once with HAL and once with Princess. I didn't notice any fundemental difference between the two customer makeup, and both crews seemed top-notch profesional. The supplies I saw didn't seem substantially different. The most obvious difference is with the showerheads, HAL having hand-held and Princess being the minority without... Ergo, my conclusion.

The transmission of Norovirus is human to human, and is directly related to hygene.

If you've never had a hand-held shower, I would suggest you spend $20 to get one. If you had one you wouldn't want to go back. And even if you did want to go back, the hand-held is excellent fixed in place.

If I'm going to be asea with thousands of others, all in tight quarters, and with no chance of escape, I want everyone squeeky clean, even in those hard to reach places. More than once I got on an elevator with passengers who seemed to have neglected washing because they were on holiday.