Rouen, France Information, Please!

Old February 28th, 2010, 12:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

Default Rouen, France Information, Please!

My son will be attending the 7th International Congress of
Neuroendocrinology in Rouen this July.
Besides what he and I have read up about Rouen, I would be interested in
hearing from anyone who is from there or has been there as to what he should
not miss seeing while there. Since it is in July, are the temperatures so
elevated that he would require an air conditioned hotel? Also any
suggestions on which hotel he might consider would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jean

Old February 28th, 2010, 05:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_4_]

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 18:56:51 -0600, Jean O'Boyle wroteÂ*:

My son will be attending the 7th International Congress of
Neuroendocrinology in Rouen this July. Besides what he and I have read
up about Rouen, I would be interested in hearing from anyone who is from
there or has been there as to what he should not miss seeing while
there. Since it is in July, are the temperatures so elevated that he
would require an air conditioned hotel? Also any suggestions on which
hotel he might consider would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jean

Magda is right. This part of Normandy is generally not too hot even in
summer, but july is generally warm and sunny.

The old town itself is pleasant, and well described in the tourists'
guides. Here is a pointer on Rouen tourists' office web site.
http://www.rouentourisme.com/
http://www.rouentourisme.com/default.asp?ext=en
http://www.normandie-tourisme.fr/nor...ism-109-2.html

Note the Normandy Impressionist 2010 festival (link on this page)
http://uk.franceguide.com/
http://uk.franceguide.com/Normandy-I...EditoID=216625

The nearby Le Havre city is easily reachable by train, but due to some
heavy WWII bombing is really dull.
By train you can also reach the Dieppe a ferry habour to UK, Le Treport
sea side resort with high chalk cliffs, or the small Saint Valery en Caux
harbour.

http://www.dieppetourisme.com/
http://www.ville-le-treport.fr/
http://www.ville-saint-valery-en-cau...%20anglais.htm
http://www.plateaudecauxmaritime.com/

To reach more tourists places, you will need a car.

On the opposite side of the river Seine estuary, crossing the big
Normandy bridge, is the nice old Honfleur habour that you can spend a
nice afternoon visiting and where you will find many restaurants : sea
food or more traditional food from inner Normandy (veal, cream,
cheeses).

http://www.pontsnormandietancarville.fr/Galerie-photos
http://www.ot-honfleur.fr/

The Seine valley around Rouen is scattered with ruined abbeys and normand
castles : Le Bec-Hellouin, Jumiège.
You can still cross the river Seine by ferry in this zone(Duclair,
Jumiège).

http://www.tourismecantondebrionne.com/

You can also choose to go upstream and visit the Vexin normand region up
to Vernon and Giverny, passing by Gaillon and the massive Chateau-
Gaillard medival castle which was on the border between Normandy and
France. Nice view on the Seine Valley near Amfreville-sous-les-monts.

http://www.giverny-art.com/
http://www.giverny.org/vernon/ot/index.htm
http://giverny.org/
http://office-tourisme.ville-andelys.fr/

Old March 1st, 2010, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_4_]

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 18:56:51 -0600, Jean O'Boyle wroteÂ*:

My son will be attending the 7th International Congress of
Neuroendocrinology in Rouen this July. Besides what he and I have read
up about Rouen, I would be interested in hearing from anyone who is from
there or has been there as to what he should not miss seeing while
there. Since it is in July, are the temperatures so elevated that he
would require an air conditioned hotel? Also any suggestions on which
hotel he might consider would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jean

Maybe you prefer natural landscapes to towns. Hundreds of km of paths are open
for walking along the coast line.

http://www.normandie-tourisme.fr/nor...ast-180-2.html

If what you like are small villages, here is a reference.

http://www.les-plus-beaux-villages-d...0=&filter1=140

and another one

http://www.villagesdefrance.free.fr/...nemaritime.htm

http://www.les-plus-beaux-villages-d...-roche-guyon-0
http://www.les-plus-beaux-villages-d...rg/en/gerberoy
http://www.les-plus-beaux-villages-d...lyons-la-foret
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

Thank you all for the information. I have sent it on to him and we
appreciate your taking the time to respond. He was especially glad to hear
that Rouen has cooler temperatures in July than the rest of France. It will
be a nice relief from the very hot summers that we have here in Texas. He is
very much looking forward to his visit.

Thank you again,
--Jean